Inception Ending Explained?

Last night I went to see the movie Inception, it is great. The premise behind Inception is that Cobb (Leonardo DiCaprio) is a thief who uses subliminal tactics to break into people’s minds and use their thoughts against them.

I have a question about the ending. I need someone to explain the ending to me.
When Dom Cobb meets an old Saito in the 4th dream level, how does he and Saito eventually get 'kicked' back into reality, on the plane?
Can you please explain it in detail?

asked by Summer in Movies | 7765 views | 07-16-2010 at 05:32 PM

The thing is, you will never know since the ending is too freaking fast.

The Ending was left open for you to take in to your own mind and make it what you want. Maybe he did get back to the 'Real World' Or Make he didn't and all you saw was just another dream.

Loved the ending, to the point that finishing the film any other way would have had a lesser impact. Could you really tell if the whole movie was a dream or not? I guess that decision is left for the audience...

Nolan, the director of Inception needs to make a sequel to this movie, it was awesome.

answered by Catherine | 07-16-2010 at 05:32 PM

i agree with your theory, but not that he should make a sequel. let sleeping dogs lie. this movie was great as it was, and a sequel would lessen the impact of the ending.

answered by Guest | 07-16-2010 at 07:38 PM

Hm
Think about it guys, the ending the children were wearing the same clothes, from his memories he hasn't seen his children for moths since the death of his wife.. I'm Sure by then they would of had some new clothes lol.

answered by Guest | 07-17-2010 at 07:17 AM

I dont think Cobb is dreaming at the end of Inception because Saito used the gun to kill himself and Cobb as a "kick" to wake up. Another thing that proves that Cobb is not on the Limbo is that he woke up in the plane meaning he is not dreaming anymore.

answered by Jayda | 07-18-2010 at 04:43 AM

The ending was open to interpretation. We don't know if he was dreaming or not, and that was the director's intent.

Here's my theory. Cobb always has his wedding ring on while in a dream state. And he never has it on in reality. When Cobb was in his home at the ending and spun the top, you can see that he didn't have his ring on. This signifies that he was in reality, and not dreaming.

But that's just what I think.

answered by Chase | 07-18-2010 at 08:29 PM

Airline ticket???
I asked in another thread what is the meaning of the scene with the airline ticket that Cobb keeps taking out of the envelope. In those scenes he seems to be wearing the same clothes as the last scene. An unidentified man tells him in one of those ticket scenes that it is the only way. Only way to what/where???
What if Cobb was upset about his wife's death and chooses to live in a dream state because of guilt over death/suicide and them not being able to grow old together? Nothing to do with him intercepting her mind and she can't find reality. His mind is the one being planted with the idea, to let go of grief over Mal and find reality.
So, the movie is actually his dreams and sub levels of dreams to find the 'thing' he locked away. The thing being his right to live in REALITY and enjoy it with his kids. In the last scene with Mal he finds this out then is able let her go and work his way back, in the elaborate way his mind has set it up. It is actually his dream or subconscious they are mending on the airplane. The phone call the Japanese CEO makes is to say he has awoke and is coming home. The other actors all play a role in helping him come back to reality by this elaborate scheme of 'stealing secrets' , the dream and sub dreams Cobb himself invented. That is why he doesn't speak to them after waking from the plane. He doesn't remember.

If time moves slower in reality then that would explain why his kids still have the same clothes and look the same. In the movie/dream time is passing but in reality he just went for a ride on a plane.

The spinning top was Mal's so by spinning it and not checking its outcome, he has chosen to live in Reality. And, seeing the kids faces are his totem.

I don't think I'm right or have all the answers. I will rent it when it comes out. I just found it odd that we keep seeing him in the kitchen with that airline ticket then that is where he ends it. The movie was like a journey back to sq one. MAYBE?????

answered by rebecca | 08-05-2010 at 06:53 PM

well remember when Cobb was explaining the top to Ariadne? He said that if it was spun in a dream, it wouldn't stop spinning or something very close to that.
and at the end when he spun it, it kept on spinning for a lengthy amount of time. and like someone else said, the kids were wearing the same clothes. maybe he was still in limbo after he found the guy he was looking for, and he dreamed he was on the plain and he went home and stuff.

answered by Guest | 09-01-2010 at 06:19 PM

It was pointed out to me that the children at the end are different kids (they are actually the older siblings of the children from his memories) and that the clothing they are wearing is slightly different from the memories.

Also, another thing about the ending that I liked is that he spins the top and walks towards his children....he doesn't double check to see if the top falls, because he's perfectly happy with where he's at, so it didn't matter to him if it was real or a dream.

answered by Guest | 09-28-2010 at 11:51 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.