Stonefish Facts: Venom & Poison?

I have been told that the Stonefish is the most venomous fish on the planet.
It is also an unusual fish because it can live out of the water for up to 24 hours.
Is the Stonefish really the fish with the most poison in the world? If you happen to touch one, do you get the venom in your system or does it have to bite you to be in danger?
What are some interesting facts about the Stonefish?

asked by Zack in Other - Pets & Animals | 3859 views | 07-13-2010 at 11:42 PM

Stonefish, belonging to Synanceiidae family, is the most venomous fish in the world. Its venom can be fatal to humans and many instances have been reported when stonefish have stung divers, resulting in their death. This species of fish is found in the coastal regions of Indo-Pacific oceans. While they are primarily marine creatures, it is not unusual to find stonefish living in rivers as well. The fish is also known as reef stone fish and rockfish, the latter due to its ability to camouflage its appearance and look like a rock.

It's not the bite that you have to worry about with stonefish. It's the spines in their dorsal fins. These spines are connected to poison sacs. The sting is extremely painful, and the venom it's self is a neurotoxin, meaning it affects the nerves. A person would get stung by either stepping on the stonefish, or attempting to handle one.

Some facts about the Stonefish.

- Species - Synanceja trachynis, Synaneichthyes verrucosus

- Description
The Stone Fish is a mottled brown-greenish in colour (which gives themStone Fish camouflage) with many venomous spines along its back.

- Habitat
The stonefish lives primarily above the tropic of Capricorn. Its main habitat is on coral reefs, near and about rocks, or can be found dormant in the mud or sand.
It feeds on small fish and shrimps.

answered by Paula | 07-13-2010 at 11:43 PM

comment
Thread Tools
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.