Kids: Is Eclipse Appropriate For a 10, 11, 12 Year Old?

I am a mother of 2 kids, they are 10 and 12 years old. My niece is 11. I want to take them to the movies to watch the new Twilight movie Eclipse but I'm not sure if the movie will be too much for my kids.

I have read Eclipse the book, and know what happens, but as I've been looking around the Internet, I'm not so sure I will take them.
I know it's just vampires and fantasy but we are talking about children.
Do you think Eclipse is appropriate for kids, what ages do you think are considered safe to watch Eclipse?

Have you seen the movie Eclipse? Does it have scenes you would consider not safe for kids?

asked by Khloe in Movies | 7861 views | 06-30-2010 at 05:16 PM

My 13 year old daughter is absolutely addicted to the Twilight saga by Stephenie Meyer.

It really depends on the child. The first two movies aren't anything to worry about with a mature ten year old; however, the second two do get more involved with the adult aspect. With eclipse the third novel it speaks of inappropriate things, but nothing is done.

The twilight series is very popular with teens. And even with 10 year old kids.
I say go see it yourself and if you don't think your kids should see it don't take them.

Eclipse doesn't really have bad themes. Breaking Dawn has more... mature themes.
I would say it is fine. If you dont mind your kids watching people kissing, then its fine.
Keep in mind all the Twilight movies are PG 13.

answered by Lara | 06-30-2010 at 05:24 PM

No child under the age of 16 should see this horrible movie. Predictable focus on sex and desire at the expense of an already convoluted story. Bella's lines about sex before marriage were the most disturbing.. in all her wisdom she concludes it is an "ancient" idea. The movie is littered with promiscuity promoting scenes and dialogue. I have never seen a worse movie in all my life. Do your young children a favor and avoid this film. Does that help?

answered by Countrymom | 07-01-2010 at 07:14 AM

Yeah, Eclipse is appropriate for kids. It will be ok, especially if you go with her.
My daughter is 13 and I took her to see it, she just loved it.

It is not scary and kids these days know they're just watching a movie.
Eclipse is rated for violence mainly....which there isn't too awful much of, only in the war scene.

Besides kids watch television everyday and see war, thousands of dolphins and whales dying because of the oil spill, robberies, murders, those things are scarier because they're actually real.

answered by Valerie | 07-01-2010 at 02:56 PM

For moms who want to know if the Eclipse movie is appropriate for their kids:

Eclipse has mild violence involving make-believe creatures: vampires and werewolves. There is very little blood- but lots of severed body parts. Looks like broken statues. Could be disturbing for youngsters.

Eclipse has lots of kissing.

The werewolf boys do not usually wear shirts- so quite a bit of skin is shown.

There is one scene in which Bella and Edward discuss pre-marital sex. They use the phrase "I want you". They make-out on a bed, and roll around together. Bella puts her hand inside Edward's shirt. Edward puts a stop to things at this point and explains his desire to be married first.

Jacob gets into a sleeping bag with Bella sans shirt to warm her up during a blizzard. Edward is there as well. He asks Jacob to control his thoughts.

Hopefully this will help you make an informed decision.

My advice: See it yourself first- you are the best judge for your own children.

answered by Guest | 07-02-2010 at 01:28 AM

Two more scenes you will want to think about:

Bella and Charlie (her dad) have a very awkward conversation about "being safe and taking precautions"- Bella freaks out and says she is still a virgin.

Rosalie has a flashback that shows her fiancee and his pals drunk. He starts to man-handle her. She alludes to being raped and eventually left to die- however this is not shown.

answered by Guest | 07-02-2010 at 01:38 AM

Ya
I think so!! I am a mature 10 year old who has to learn about this stuff already. And I've read every book and I've seen all of the movies. Nothing happens!!! Take them!! Let them enjoy their childhood while it lasts!!

answered by Twilightfan#1 | 07-07-2010 at 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrymom View Post
No child under the age of 16 should see this horrible movie. Predictable focus on sex and desire at the expense of an already convoluted story. Bella's lines about sex before marriage were the most disturbing.. in all her wisdom she concludes it is an "ancient" idea. The movie is littered with promiscuity promoting scenes and dialogue. I have never seen a worse movie in all my life. Do your young children a favor and avoid this film. Does that help?
Wrong!!! I'm 10, and I think if the kids do think anything of it, it will just be better!! It will help with the future "talk" you will have to have with your kids. ( btw I'm really mature and know all the stuff, so dont worry about it)

answered by Twilightfan#1 | 07-07-2010 at 03:25 AM

hp and twilight fan
Some scenes are quite extreme in the movie eclipse, but it was okay.
I think that it'll be okay for kids around 11 those who know everything about all these things already.
It all depends upon the kid.

answered by Guest | 04-28-2011 at 12:09 PM

I have seen eclipse. I just closed my eyes through the bad part in the movie. Simple, but I want to know if I can read the book?

answered by Guest | 06-09-2011 at 01:15 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.