Crib Recall Drop Side 2010?

Today June 24, 2010 a recall was announced of more than two million cribs manufactured by Evenflo and six other companies. The recalls were prompted by some 250 reports of crib malfunctions that resulted in more than a dozen entrapments of infants.
Most of the cribs in the recall have the dreaded drop-side, which can malfunction or fall off, leading to injury or suffocation. This latest recall is an effort by the CPSC to “clean up” the crib market up unsafe cribs.
I'm worried about my sister who own a drop side crib and I believe it might be one of the recalled cribs.
Where can I find more information about the 2010 crib recall?
Have any kids died from the drop side crib problem?

asked by Brady in Parenting & Children | 2045 views | 06-24-2010 at 05:57 PM

Several manufacturers are participating in a massive crib recall of primarily drop side cribs. If you think you have one of the products in the list, please click on the link at the end to read the entire recall notice which will include more information, including pictures and contact information for each company.

Crib Recall Drop Side

No deaths were linked to the recalled cribs, but there were more than 250 reports of drop-sides detaching or failing and at least 16 entrapments of infants.

This is the latest industry-wide initiative to fix inherent problems with the drop-side cribs, which the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has announced will be phased-out.

Drop-side hardware is known to fail causing the drop-side of the crib to detach or fall into a dropped position. When that happens it creates a space where an infant can become entrapped and suffocate or strangle.

If your crib is included, do not use it with your child. Find a safe sleeping environment for your baby and follow the instructions for repair or replacement.

The drop-side cribs recalled today were manufactured between 2000 and 2009 by the seven companies listed below:

* Child Craft, (this firm is out of business): Fixed-Side | Drop-Side
* Delta Enterprise Corp., of New York, N.Y.
* Evenflo, of Miamisburg, Ohio
* Jardine Enterprises, of Taipei, Taiwan
* LaJobi, of Cranbury, N.J.
* Million Dollar Baby, of Montebello, Calif.
* Simmons Juvenile Products Inc. (SJP), of New London, Wis.

For owners of the recalled drop-side cribs, the CPSC is urging parents to stop using them immediately and find a safe place for their child to sleep.

For owners of the recalled Child Craft stationary crib, the commission says parents may continue to use the crib after ensuring that it has been assembled correctly.

Details from CPSC's website: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10271.html

answered by Payton | 06-24-2010 at 06:01 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.