Trichotillomania Causes & Cure?

Does anyone heard about trichotillomania? It's when you pull your hair and then you damage it enough to stop it from growing.

I think my daughter has Trichotillomania, she is always pulling her hair. I always tell her to stop it and she stops while I'm with her but I believe she continues to pull her hair when she is alone because I've noticed there's a part of her hair that has stopped growing hair. She covers it but it's there.
Anyway, what are the causes of Trichotillomania, how do you treat it and is there a cure?

Should I take her to the psychologist? I mean, is Trichotillomania a mental disease? Please let me know about the causes and cures.

asked by Sandy in Diseases & Conditions | 1091 views | 06-14-2010 at 12:24 AM

Trichotillomania, also known as Trich, is the irresistible temptation or urge to pull hair from your body, scalp, eyebrows and/or eyelashes. Scientists and doctors believe Trichotillomania is a genetic disorder caused by a mutation of the SLITRK1 gene. Hair that has been pulled out does not always grow back, so many trichotillomania sufferers are missing some or all of their hair, depending on the severity of their case.

Trichotillomania is getting much attention nowadays. This is a very unique disorder whose etiology or root cause is not that specific. Its severity is also varied, as well as, its receptivity to treatment. Some cases will prove to be managed a lot easier than others. Especially when the compulsion to pull hair is already very difficult to control, the person will easily become distracted from thinking of other things aside from the fact that he or she wants to pull some hair out. Hence, it is but encouraged to help trichotillomania patients in whatever therapeutic way possible.

Trichotillomania may be present in infants, but the peak age of onset is 9 to 13. Depression or stress can trigger the trich. Due to social implications the disorder is often unreported and it is difficult to predict accurately prevalence of trichotillomania; the lifetime prevalence of trich is estimated to be between 0.6% (overall) and 1.5% (in males) to 3.4% (in females).

The name, coined by French dermatologist François Henri Hallopeau, derives from the Greek: trich- (hair), till(en) (to pull), and mania ("an abnormal love for a specific object, place, or action").

The general place where pulling hair out usually occurs is the head but some more extreme case include hair pulling from eyebrows, eyelashes and even pubic hair. This is a very serious condition that occurs with many individuals, the good new is, there is a treatment for Trichotillomania.

There are five simple ways to cure trichotillomania. They are as such:

1. Determination of the root cause: This involves a quick study for the care takers. They should observe the components that trigger the trichotillomania symptoms like pulling own hair and eating it. The triggers can be stress, boredom, unhealthy diet, trauma encountered in childhood and many more. Once these triggers are controlled you can cure trichotillomania.

2. Adaptation to stress and its triggers: Many doctors believe that the simplest way to cure trichotillomania is to carefully handle your stress within your tolerance limits.

3. Medications like Prozac, Luvox, Anafranil and so on so forth can cure trichotillomania.

4. Behavioral therapy: This involves meditations and substitution behavior therapy. There therapies reduce the stress levels and urges significantly and thereby helps you to cure trichotillomania.

5. Acceptance: The acceptance of the disorder would miraculously lower your stress and thereby helps you to cure trichotillomania.

answered by Aiden | 06-14-2010 at 12:35 AM

comment