Rise And Rise Again Until Lambs Become Lions Origin & Meaning?

There is a quote that says "Rise and rise again until lambs become lions." I heard it in the new trailer of the movie Robin Hood starring Russel Crowe and it sounds so Familiar to me.
Is this quote in the bible? What is the meaning and origin of this quote?
My brother told me that this quote is popular among people who gets a tattoo. But he doesn't know what it means.

Where did the quote "rise and rise again until lambs become lions" come from? What is the origin of the quote?

asked by Jalen in Languages | 279897 views | 05-17-2010 at 08:34 PM

According to Russel Crow the quote "Rise And Rise Again Until Lambs Become Lions" means "never give up". It's his catch phrase from his new movie Robin Hood.

This quote does not come from the bible.
I'm not sure about the origin.

In the movie, Robin of the Hood, learned this quote as a boy and remembered as a man.

“Rise and rise again until lambs become lions.” – Robin Hood the Movie, 2010

When asked by Little John and Will Scarlet what this saying meant, Robin Hood explained something akin to Winston Churchhill, and to our American founding fathers. It means never give up for the cause of liberty, never, ever give up. Rise, and rise again, until the docile lambs become conquering lions.

answered by Stella | 05-17-2010 at 08:42 PM

It is about having lots of perseverance and never giving up.
"Rise And Rise Again Until Lambs Become Lions" translates to "keep on pushing until the impossible happens."

answered by Faith | 05-18-2010 at 03:06 AM

The quote has a deeper meaning than Robin Hood's plainly uttered, "never give up." Lions are a symbol of royalty and are thus their own masters. Lambs are weak and blindly follow shepherds without free will much like peasants were forced to blindly serve the nobles who owned the land the peasants lived upon. Robin Hood's father carved this quote into stone to boldly state that peasants (lambs) should fight determinedly (rise and rise again) to be their own masters (lions).

answered by Guest | 05-18-2010 at 10:19 PM

I think it speaks to the heroes that rise again and again to stand against tyrants!

answered by Guest | 06-30-2010 at 11:23 AM

To put it further, the peasants symbolize our unawakened state and the lions symbolize who we really are, our true Self and Masters of our own lives.

answered by Guest | 07-02-2010 at 03:52 AM

The quote really is what you make of it. I take it just as the actor has said it meant, Never Give Up.. In reality, The Lamb will NEVER become a Lion. A lamb is a lamb and a lion is a lion, it's nature. I feel like its a play on words or a unique way of saying Never Give Up.

answered by Guest | 09-01-2010 at 07:56 PM

thank you captain obvious. yes i mean you above me

answered by Guest | 09-13-2010 at 05:48 AM

"Rise and rise again", means never give up. And "until lambs become lion" is poor to be rich. what's to be rich? having fun, living in comfortable home, eating food, the laugh, living the life. So this says never give up to be rich or never give up your dreams or never give up on anything you wanted.

answered by SparkDJ | 09-13-2010 at 09:37 PM

Does anyone think that getting this quote on my chest would be stupid?

answered by Guest | 09-16-2010 at 03:31 AM

mr. nature up there, I'm sure you began and ended that statement w/a "daaaaaa der daaaaa". i hope you enjoy being a lead

answered by Guest | 09-16-2010 at 06:54 AM

This is the full saying as spoken by Maitreya The Friend of all Souls:

Rise and Rise
again and again
like the Phoenix
from the Ashes
until the Lambs
become Lions and
The Rule of Darkness
is no more.

- Maitreya The Friend of all Souls

answered by Guest | 09-20-2010 at 05:16 AM

Full Quote
"And when they seek
to oppress you
And when they try
to destroy you,
Rise and Rise again
and again
Like The Phoenix
from the ashes
Until the Lambs
have become Lions
and the Rule of Darkness
is no more "

Maitreya The Friend of All Souls
The Holy Book of Destiny

answered by Guest | 09-27-2010 at 04:03 PM

angler
Thank you, I knew there had to be a real origin to this quote. I'll search more on this and find out what exactly the real meaning is.

As for what it means, just by going what is said, I' d say this:

"Rise and Rise again" means fight, and if defeated, (or if need be) fight again.

And "Until Lambs Become Lions" means that until the meek, or those who aren't fighters, become strong warriors fighting tyranny or possibly invaders.

answered by Guest | 09-27-2010 at 05:32 PM

wrong
It is both origin and it has meaning to be slaughter like a lamb all your life or to be brave like a lion comes from old Aramaic or Armenian if you would, because of what that cannot be proven will always be confused.

answered by Guest | 10-04-2010 at 09:36 AM

lambs become lions
its a masonic quote, just it, because in the very beginning of their order, they fought against their governors which were used to parsec the people. Didn't you noticed that on the movie hood's father were a mason who "started a group" ?

answered by Guest | 10-18-2010 at 10:12 AM

Well, damn. I liked that quote until I looked up this Maitrya guy...he's a fruitcake.

answered by Guest | 10-20-2010 at 05:34 AM

Does anyone know if this phrase is copyrighted?

answered by Guest | 10-23-2010 at 06:22 PM

thanks for giving the meaning it was stuck in my head for a long time and i think it will stick a little longer because quotes have meanings and this meaning (for me) isn't just a quote i has a lot of meaning in the past and to the future it doesn't matter what year the person made the quote but how can people use it in everyday life if people dont agree with me thats ok because i love to hear a different answer

answered by Guest | 11-06-2010 at 08:05 PM

rise rise again until lambs become lions
thanks for giving the meaning it was stuck in my head for a long time and i think it will stick a little longer because quotes have meanings and this meaning (for me) isn't just a quote i has a lot of meaning in the past and to the future it doesn't matter what year the person made the quote but how can people use it in everyday life if people dont agree with me thats OK because i love to hear a different answer.

answered by Guest | 11-06-2010 at 08:06 PM

I believe it has origins from the bible. The bible talks about us being the sheep and leaders being shepherds and it also calls God the "Lion of the tribe of Judah" ... and Jesus calls us to be his brothers and sisters and to become children of God. So I feel like it means keep stepping into authority until you become kings. For from the beginning we were meant to be kings.

answered by Guest | 11-09-2010 at 06:38 PM

Could mean
Rise and rise again until lambs become lions could translate into something like: Never give up until the ordinary become extraordinary. Like if you stick it out even trough the rough times in your life you will see that life is pretty awesome and you'll learn something new, and become a different version of who you thought you could be

answered by Guest | 11-19-2010 at 09:32 PM

In my own personal journey, I have fallen and gotten up many times. As I keep falling and keep getting back up, I feel a boldening strength and resolve to raise myself from this weak man I have been acting like into a strong, bold and powerful man that I feel is who I really am.

I am waking up and feeling for the first time in my 33 years that I have been a sheep man and I will be that no longer. f*** that! I am a Lion and the maser of my own destiny!

answered by Guest | 11-28-2010 at 06:30 PM

"Rise and Rise again" of course stands for perseverance. To continually strive in this life.

"Until Lambs become Lions" does actually take it's meaning from the Bible. Many times Jesus is referred to as being a "sacrificially Lamb" for our sins, but in His return that is prophesied in the Bible He is referred to as being a Lion or "the Lion of the tribe of Judah."

So basically it means to persevere until the end.

answered by Guest | 12-03-2010 at 03:52 AM

To that dude up top... yes i think it wood be sick to get it tatted on your chest.
That's the reason why I'm researching the whole meaning of it.
Soon to be a tattoo! haha

answered by motomike | 12-06-2010 at 07:18 AM

Biblical Reference
That quote seems to clearly borrow from a theme throughout the Bible that is highlighted in Revelation when the lamb of God, Jesus, comes to rule the earth and restore it to perfection as a lion. Found this link that explores this idea:

bibleornot.org/rise-and-rise-again-until-lambs-become-lions/

answered by Austin | 01-03-2011 at 02:48 AM

I'm getting this with something else as a tattoo, it has great meaning.

answered by Guest | 01-18-2011 at 09:32 AM

I was thinking about it and yes, the quote means never give up, but if you look at it from a Christ centered view it can also have special meaning. In scripture we are called to strive to be like God for we were made in his image. Some things in life you know you can never reach (ultimate perfection....God himself), but you can strive for it and never give up. In this life we will be knocked down and pushed aside, but we are called to never stop preaching.(rise and rise again). So for all you who believe, all you lambs of the Lion of the Trive of Judah, strive for that perfection and never give up.

It would be an awesome tattoo. I am having it put in a band around a cross on my arm.

answered by Guest | 01-28-2011 at 07:33 PM

Maitreya, a fruitcake? LOL dude, he lived something like 3000 years ago how can you say that.

answered by Guest | 01-29-2011 at 02:34 AM

Swahili lore
It is a direct quote from the Swahili saying:

Kupanda na Rise tena!

Mpaka Kondoo kuwa Simba!

During rise of the Zulu nation, the Zulu's were nothing more then a tribe of goat herders. King Shaka built the Zulu Empire by the Shield and the Spear based on this premise that even the lowly can supplant the powerful.

answered by Guest | 02-10-2011 at 01:48 PM

About the swahili and zulu's, I really doubt it has any correlation between the two tribes. Just thought I should add that in as knowing about my country's history the swahili's had no relation to the zulu's during king shaka's reign. Sorry dude but I doubt your sources, don't be surprised about what people imagine history to be, especially if its of your own country. Research is important.

Coming back to the main topic I must admit that where ever the quote originates from it is quite encouraging. Personally I want to use it as my own motivational motto; not that I'll be fighting against any system of oppression anytime soon though this worlds current regulations on how people strive to get their stomachs full is an oppressive system, rather I can say it would be more spiritual than physical.

The quote can be seen as certain themes throughout the bible but like some of you said, it doesn't come from there yet as a christian I've noticed that becoming one is like enlisting into the army. Yet there comes a time when you encounter ruthless oppressions and enemy's and the worst of all is the ones inside a man.

It's funny how even though the first saints, though seeming like the holiest of men still struggled with what common men did, because they too were mere humans, yet they persevered from keeping on in the faith by continuing to rise above, and understanding this life ain't just a walk in the park but a war against the principalities and rulers of this dark age.

I've noticed that christian or not, everybody has their own fight to fight, whether themselves or others. Hope you be encouraged by the quote as I was. Even though this life is but a vapor, it has an eternal worth. What's yours?

Yeah a tatt wouldn't be bad either...

answered by Tii | 02-15-2011 at 01:04 PM

Maitreya
It is said that Maitreya will be a successor of the historic Śākyamuni Buddha, not one person in general. But "The Holy Book of Destiny" was written very recently... copyrighted in 2011. Regardless of who said it or where the saying has its origins I feel it to be a very powerful phrase. It inspires me and reminds me to never give up when it feels like the worlds is coming down on me. I had "Until lambs become lions" tattooed on my right inner bicep right before deploying to Iraq. I don't need the whole quote to know what it means to me, it reminds me every single day to not give in or up to the challenges I face with my brothers at my side.

answered by Guest | 04-19-2011 at 11:45 AM

Regarding getting the tattoo....

Doesn't seem very Lion like to ask strangers on the internet whether you should get a tattoo on your chest. Seems more lamb-like to me.

answered by Guest | 04-20-2011 at 03:08 AM

How thick, it means rise and rise again basically keep going until lambs become lions, basically lambs are never gonna become lions so its never ending, keep going and never give up.

answered by Guest | 05-14-2011 at 08:06 PM

Italian proverb
There is an old Italian saying that goes "it is better to live one day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep"
Might be some inspiration from that?

answered by Guest | 05-23-2011 at 08:08 PM

Perfect
I've been sorting through some quotes recently that I like, trying to decide on one for my next (second) tattoo, when on the TV came on Robin Hood which I had already seen. But once it started, and that phrase was placed, I knew right then the quote I wanted was that.

It's perfect & it's timeless.

When in our history has there ever been a point when the weak haven't been oppressed by the strong, or the struggle has seemed too heavy to take another step forward?

I really wanted something to sum up what I've been feeling the past few years and to help inspire & remind me of where I am and where I want to be. (Rise and Rise again): to always get back up, no matter how many times you're knocked down. (Until lambs become lions): you keep getting up; you keep fighting until you become or achieve what you want, you never give in. A docile animal can become as ferocious as a lion when defending something truly valuable to it.

This translates to the essence of the struggle of life itself. Life is a fight...so keep fighting.

answered by Guest | 05-31-2011 at 01:17 AM

To the guest who posted quote #7...
Yes, in "nature" lambs are lambs and lions are lions. However, the quote is "rise and rise again UNTIL lambs become lions". If lambs NEVER become lions, then everyone should just give up on everything they've ever dreamed about and lay down and take whatever crap life deals them. The quote is not directly referencing the literal translation of the creatures within the animal kingdom.

It is a symbolic reference to mean that you should continue fighting one no matter how impossible it seems until you persevere. They mean for who people who have the temperament of a lamb to rise up and fight their inner strength until they have courage and the heart of lion, to overcome any challenge that is thrown at them and to be the masters of their own destiny.

I truly believe that you can be the master of your own fate and the only thing holding you back is yourself. Too many people lack determination and willpower to accomplish what they need to.

answered by Johnathan Clayborn | 06-05-2011 at 04:06 PM

Rise and rise again until lambs become lions
Man is blind in sin. To rise is to see the light of Christ! To rise again is to overcome the world in Christ and become a son of God! And as Jesus was sent to be the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world and returns again as the lion of the tribe of Judah, so too those who rise as lambs shall rise again as perfected sons of God, Angels, Saints, Lions.

answered by Guest | 06-11-2011 at 09:40 PM

Rise and Rise again
My dearest of friends, the things you look answer for is within ourselves. Every man, woman or child has the lion within. The problem is you are all following society as a weak lamb. The rise and rise again quote means that one day we all realize that all our behavior is copied. Everything the human race does is copy, copy and copy again. The essence of life is to understand who am i, and die within the ever not knowing.

Do not speak about religions, or other things they are all fake. There is only humanity and nothing more. We are what we create. There are yet few persons on this planet who have the ability to generate new things that we can copy again they are the muhammed, the Jesus, the matreya or whatever of this days.

We are yet all followers of the computer ?
Don't mock with religion telling them they are fruitcakes, its shows your ignorance.

I'm legend and have the meaning of life tattooed on my back
the truth is no one will ever figure it out.

(do not find me, you will be mislead)

answered by The One | 06-12-2011 at 05:25 PM

if you are going to be pretentious....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
It is both origin and it has meaning to be slaughter like a lamb all your life or to be brave like a lion comes from old Aramaic or Armenian if you would, because of what that cannot be proven will always be confused.
Armenian is a modern language, still spoken.....if you would ? ...because of what that cannot be proven? What?

answered by sikboy | 06-29-2011 at 05:41 PM

Lambs don't become lions, therefore, it's saying never give up, ever.

answered by Guest | 07-24-2011 at 03:44 AM

Quote:
Well, damn. I liked that quote until I looked up this Maitrya guy...he's a fruitcake.
Dude you are really funny, I rofl.

answered by Guest | 07-24-2011 at 06:16 PM

It means to never give up. If you never give up you become a lion and reach your goal, a lamb never reached it!

answered by Guest | 07-27-2011 at 09:59 PM

Quote:
It is said that Maitreya will be a successor of the historic Śākyamuni Buddha, not one person in general. But "The Holy Book of Destiny" was written very recently... copyrighted in 2011. Regardless of who said it or where the saying has its origins I feel it to be a very powerful phrase. It inspires me and reminds me to never give up when it feels like the worlds is coming down on me. I had "Until lambs become lions" tattooed on my right inner bicep right before deploying to Iraq. I don't need the whole quote to know what it means to me, it reminds me every single day to not give in or up to the challenges I face with my brothers at my side.
Well said. thank you for your service.
I read your post with a smile on my face, thank you again.

answered by Guest | 08-07-2011 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
I'm getting it on my arm, I don't think it is dumb at all, it is one of my favorite phrases.

answered by Guest | 08-07-2011 at 04:15 PM

Bible or Not?
The people bellow are right, it does not come Directly from the Bible. But, as with everything else, it finds it's foundation in it. In Isaiah 11 it speaks of Lions dwelling with Lambs in the new Heavens and the New earth. So, basically, to "rise and rise again..." is saying to keep fighting until God renews his creation and there is no need. The cause of the faithful will not be fulfilled until all the old passes away.

answered by Guest | 09-05-2011 at 04:00 PM

In Christianity the followers of God are Lambs. The quote has pagan significance as well. The Saxons did not accept Christianity but submitted to it, eventually, under force. All religions do this to pagan peoples. The quote means to reject not only the political and economic structure but the religious as well. It is a recipe to freedom.

answered by Guest | 09-28-2011 at 01:53 AM

Quote:
If you see a need to ask, yes, it would be a dumb idea.
If you're getting a tattoo I suggest you're very sure of what you're about to do. Those are for life.

answered by Guest | 10-15-2011 at 10:13 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know if this phrase is copyrighted?
It's not a phrase, to begin with, it's a quote.
And I don't think its copyrighted but I'm not sure so if you're thinking about selling anything with the quote on it, you better ask a lawyer first.

answered by Guest | 10-15-2011 at 10:17 PM

This saying originated with king Arthur and the knights of the round table.

The real meaning of these words has to do with the fact that as human beings pass on..that is..when humans die, they then rise from the dead ..having shed their passive character to be renewed as lions.

Where they once lived and behaved as apes..senseless and greedy..they then

'rise'

as in the original saying..

"rise and rise again"

until they are transformed into lions.

a lion stands for high moral character..justice..compassion..intelligence..and love.

and when this world is filled with lions..

justice will prevail.

And then.
we
get
to
leave
this
planet
of
the
apes.

answered by Guest | 10-19-2011 at 01:22 PM

This does come from the bible... "rise and rise again, until the lamb becomes the lion". Here's the whole verse... "Go even deeper, yes we could go on and on, and consider Jesus Christ Himself. He was a Lamb led to the slaughter (Isaiah 53:7), who laid down His life, only to rise on the 3rd day. One day he will come again, in essence, rising again out of Heaven to bring judgment upon the earth. And in this second coming He is coming as the Lion of Judah. Rise, and rise again until the Lamb becomes the Lion."

answered by Guest | 11-02-2011 at 03:26 AM

rise
What ever you get from it you get! its a awesome quote.
If you walk like a lion you will be treated like a lion, if you walk like a lamb you will be treated like a lamb. We all struggle we all fall rise and rise again my lion brothers.

answered by Guest | 11-15-2011 at 01:21 PM

TAKE NOTICE!
While I think the quote is quite beautiful the origins come from a cult leader and have no direct biblical meaning. The site for the cult and quote origin is online.
God bless.

answered by JScott | 11-17-2011 at 08:40 AM

'Until lambs become lions' essentially means till the end of time. Therefore it means keep rising, don't let yourself be put down. or literally, give up when your dead.

answered by EnlightenedGuest | 11-30-2011 at 07:07 AM

hi
Quote:
Regarding getting the tattoo....

Doesn't seem very Lion like to ask strangers on the internet whether you should get a tattoo on your chest. Seems more lamb-like to me.
Agree.

Anyway ,quote has meaning to never give up, and never stop fighting for something you want.

answered by Thor | 12-01-2011 at 11:40 PM

comment