2010 Tylenol, Motrin, Zyrtec & Benadryl Recall?

Several types of cold and allergy medicine like Tylenol, Motrin & Zyrtec for children have been recalled from pharmacies today May 1, 2010 because they “may not fully meet the required manufacturing specifications,” according to McNeil Consumer Healthcare, a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said in a statement J&J's McNeil Consumer Healthcare is voluntarily recalling some liquid Tylenol, Motrin, Zyrtec and Benadryl because of "manufacturing deficiencies" that could affect quality, purity or potency of the drugs.

I have bought recently Tylenol, Motrin and Zyrtec. How do I know if the children's medicine I bought is part of this 2010 recall?

asked by Caitlyn in Drugs & Medicine | 2782 views | 05-01-2010 at 05:48 PM

McNeil Consumer Healthcare issued the voluntary recall in May 2010 in the United States and 11 other countries after consulting with the FDA. The recall involves children's versions of Tylenol, Tylenol Plus, Motrin, Zyrtec and Benadryl, because they don't meet quality standards.

Just in case, don't use the medicine you bought and ask your pharmacy about it.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration urged consumers to stop using liquid Tylenol, Motrin, Benadryl and Zyrtec medicines for children and infants after a broad recall announced by the manufacturer, although it said the chance of serious problems was remote.

Some of the medicines may contain a higher concentration of its active ingredient than they should, while others may contain inactive ingredients at levels the company deems inappropriate or tiny particles.

You shouldn't worry though, there haven't been any serious side effects reported for taking the recalled Tylenol, Motrin, Benadryl and Zyrtec, and both the company and the FDA said the potential for harm is remote. Still, the company and the agency said the products shouldn't be given to children as a "precautionary measure."

An FDA spokeswoman said all the recalled lots came from the Johnson & Johnson unit's manufacturing plant in Fort Washington, Pa. A routine FDA inspection at the plant turned up the manufacturing problems, which prompted the voluntary recall, the spokeswoman said.

The FDA also says parents in the interim should consider substitute child medications, such as generic versions. It does not recommend that children be given adult-strength Tylenol or Motrin because they are not intended for younger age groups.

Customers are nonetheless urged to stop using the recalled products and contact the company at 1-888-222-6036 for more information.

answered by Pauline | 05-01-2010 at 06:09 PM

I was worried about this because I bought Tylenol and Motrin last week.

But according to the Consumer Healthcare organization, the recall is not due to any reported "adverse medical events" but rather as a precautionary measure.

answered by Aden | 05-03-2010 at 10:33 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.