Free Car Media Scam?

Do you think all these "paid to drive" services that companies like Free Car Media offer are a scam? Will companies really pay me to drive my car?

asked by Xilo in Buying & Selling | 6772 views | 08-12-2009 at 05:15 PM

If you search online for get paid to drive, you find lots of companies willing to sell you a list, or access to an exclusive memberís area, where you can learn all about the advertisers who will pay you to stick their ads on your car and do your normal driving.

The question is, can you really get paid to drive ads on cars?

In a word, No. Hereís why:

- How many people do you think have signed up for these get-paid-to-drive programs? Thousands, no doubt. Tens of thousands, maybe. Have you seen tens of thousands of ad cars on the road? That means the odds are not in your favor.
- Ads on cars peaked in popularity in the 90s. They are now the domain of very specialized niche advertising campaigns, so fewer drivers are needed.
- Imagine yourself as an advertiser. Say youíre the ad executive for Iíve Tried That and you have a fixed budget to spend on advertising each quarter. You decide youíre going to wrap someoneís car in Iíve Tried That ads and pay the owner to drive it around. To get the most bang for your buck, you want to reach the largest possible number of people in the target demographic. That means youíre looking for a car and driver only in densely populated urban areas with lots of stay-at-home moms and others looking to supplement their income by working from home. With that in mind, are you interested in a driver living in Casper, Wyoming? Of course not. How about a driver who owns a 2000 Ford Taurus? No way. (Because Steve and Joe only want their ads on really sexy cars.)

If you donít:

1. live in a large city
2. drive a cool car
3. AND drive lots of miles every month

forget about it. Your lottery-like chances have just been reduced to zip.

answered by August | 08-12-2009 at 05:17 PM

Actually it is real, however if you have to pay for the information its a scam. There is a company called CarWraps (carwraps.com, they are the only original company that still does this, no money needed just fill out a application) you do actually get to drive a new car around for free, or if you have your own car wrapped they will pay you for it.

But this service has since died down, company's are now finding it cheaper to wrap there own car or a employees car and pay them for having it done.

Plus if you sit back and think about it its not really worth it, why you ask ?

When you drive a wrapped car, you must be highly visible. This means you must drive at least 100 miles back/fourth to work, etc. Now imagine if they issue you a large SUV thats wrapped, think about the gas money you will have to dish out. Another thing is that the track you via GPS, if your somewhere your not supposed to be or are not driving enough miles, they will yank your contract asap. I remember back in the day (i dont know now) they had a list of places you were not allowed to drive YOUR OWN wrapped car because the advertiser didnt allow it.

answered by Gringo | 08-12-2009 at 05:18 PM

It is a scam. I tried doing it once, was charged $30 and never heard from them again. These are the same people that brought you the "work at home" scams which prey on seniors and stay-at-home-moms, students, disabled, etc by charging upfront fees and then then fleeing town. If someone paid me I would stick a billboard on my mother's butt but no one is so dumb as to actually shell out $400 so you can drive a billboard on wheels, but there are plenty of people dumb enough to do it who think they will. It ought to be illegal to even exist.

answered by Guest | 10-05-2010 at 05:52 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.