Is Glee Appropriate For Children?

Is the TV show 'Glee' appropriate for children and little kids in general?

My daughter is 8 and she likes the new show "Glee" very much but her grandmother told me it was inappropriate for a young girl to watch because one of the characters talks about grown up stuff a lot. I have never seen Glee myself so I told her not to watch it any more.

She really wants to watch it but I'm not sure how suitable it is?

I'm pretty sure it'd be fine for my 13 year old, but I'm not as sure about my 8 year old kid as it's about high school kids so it might deal with some issues that are a bit too mature for her.

Can someone confirm to me if Glee is really appropriate for children? Is it OK for my kids to watch it?

asked by Angela in Television | 6922 views | 04-16-2010 at 11:51 PM

Glee is OK.
There's nothing too bad for kids on the Glee show. A little bit of snappy innuendo, and a few semi-mature themes like teen pregnancy, but nothing blood-curdling.

Glee happens to be very well written and could be enjoyed by children, like your daughter, however it would be in your best interest, as only you know your children, to watch a few episodes with her, that way, you can decide for yourself.

Why don't you sit and watch with her any episode of Glee and if you find it unsuitable for your family to be watching then turn it off and explain why?

Overall, I would say Glee is one of the most wholesome shows on primetime, but it's probably safe to say that it's target audience is at least 10+.

answered by Amy | 04-16-2010 at 11:55 PM

I don't allow my children to watch Glee.
It's not an innocent show. Your daughter should watch Disney shows like Hannah Montana and Wizards of Waverly Place, not Glee.

Glee is a show for teenagers so it is filled with adult stuff.
Just saying.

answered by Mary | 04-16-2010 at 11:57 PM

i love glee I'm 10 I'm just saying i think your gaughter should be able to and anyways I'm way too old for DISNEY X ew

answered by Guest | 05-03-2010 at 10:49 PM

Your never too old for Disney, I'm 39 an love watching wizards, hannah, phineas an ferb lol

answered by Guest | 05-04-2010 at 12:43 PM

Best thing would be to watch it yourself and decide.

Back in the 90s some parents thought 90210 was appropriate for their kids and others thought Dawson's Creek wasn't.

Just because a show is set in high-school, and involves singing doesn't mean it's for kids.

Takes a bit of work, but at least that way you can be sure.

answered by Guest | 05-25-2010 at 04:12 PM

ok it talks too much of gays and lesbians so yes it is. but some parts they can see. oh and GLEE ROCKS

answered by Guest | 06-26-2010 at 06:09 PM

I don't think so.

answered by Guest | 06-30-2010 at 10:09 AM

Glee
One episode has two of the main characters (two teenage girls) making out on a bed.. The one girl wants to talk about feelings and the other girl tells her to knock it off that she has to have sex to digest her food.. These are the "cool popular kids".... I don't think its appropriate for teens who are just learning about sex and peer pressure and just getting comfortable in the whole dangerous part of life that includes STDs, teen pregnancy, and very high emotions which sex complicates.... I wouldn't want a show like glee to be the show that provides any groundwork for children to base their ideas of what's acceptable or cool on.... Besides... the stereotypes are grating and the characters not very interesting characters...

answered by Guest | 12-12-2010 at 12:44 AM

Glee
I think it really depends on your parenting. I myself wouldn't forbid my children to watch the show but then i'm kind of a 'liberal' person. Glee does talk about adult / teen 'issues' and as stated before, watch it yourself so you can judge it.

Jeremy

answered by TV Hamster | 12-29-2010 at 01:12 PM

Definitely not!
It seems that many people here haven't discovered the real significance of the show. It's a really good one. It's funny and entertaining, but NOT for kids.

answered by Guest | 01-13-2011 at 10:13 PM

Glee is a great show that is made for adults. It is meant to be a show that makes fun of high school situations and exaggerates them. There is a lot of sexual situations so if your child is that young you might not want to expose them to that yet. I love it though.

answered by Guest | 01-16-2011 at 08:17 PM

Not appropriate for under 14
One episode is about the "virginity" club and the teens dance with a balloon between each other; when a boy gets an erection, the balloon pops. In the premiere episode, two of the characters make out and there is simulated climax of the male character.

Teen sex is present, as is gay/lesbian subject matter and promiscuity.

Yes, the songs are fun, but the overall subject matter discussed is in no way appropriate for under high-school aged children. Even then, hopefully you've had these conversations with them already because there is a LOT of things on the show that you wouldn't want your kid learning about from television.

That said, I watch it every week and allow my 15 year old to watch as well. The younger kids leave the room.

answered by Guest | 02-16-2011 at 03:48 AM

If your daughter wants to watch Glee let her watch it. It doesn't matter if it's good or bad. But to me it's good, I like it a lot. So let her make the decision if she should watch it or not.

answered by Shawn | 02-21-2011 at 01:06 PM

Glee
I find Glee being very inappropriate for young children. There are many other shows on t.v your kids can watch such as shows on Disney Channel or Nickelodeon. Glee is mainly for teenagers and adults. I think she can wait a few years. Anyways it's up to you. Why don't you watch a few episodes for yourself and then decide what your going to do. Remember don't just watch the first episode and come up with the conclusion that it's good because there's much more later on so read the Wikipedia too. If you're bothered.

answered by Guest | 03-30-2011 at 02:35 PM

Not appropriate (long explanation follows)
As someone who has seen every episode, I can say that the show is inappropriate for children of any age. In the drinking show, the teacher apologized to the students for previously telling them not to drink, the teacher said that he knew it was unrealistic to suggest that children not drink alcohol, and instead asked that they wait until after the competition. Then he said that HIS drinking (the teacher's) is no different from the teenagers' drinking. And of course, the kids have a great party where they all get drunk and then they go drunk to a school event, and of course, are congratulated and rewarded for their conduct in the end.

They had a similar moral in the "abstinence" show, in which the Gwenneth Paltrow character, whose theme in the series is promoting casual sex, actually encourages them to do it, and again, says it's "unrealistic" to tell them not to because it's fun and it feels good. Sadly, she is portrayed as the voice of reason on this show. She actually ridicules and namecalls the characters who HAD decided to wait ("frigid," "naive," "crazy"). Gwenneth calls abstinence "lame," and says it's an option for kids like "vegetarianism is an option for lions." And of course, the only teacher who advocates for it is a frigid mental case, to whom Gwenneth says "Are you some kind of crazy pope lady??" (In *all* of her episodes, she makes inappropriate sexual comments and innuendo to the children as fact or moral truism.)

Not to mention the many episodes where sexual conduct is flippantly shown. Not to mention the more subtle but harmful things shown every week, like kids fighting, shouting at each other, namecalling, lying, and backstabbing, and betraying -- and that's with their FRIENDS.

To each his own, but I will never allow my young children to watch Glee. Instead, we DVR the show, and then we fast-forward to the songs that we think they would enjoy watching.

answered by Guest | 05-10-2011 at 08:24 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.