Giant Isopod: Bathynomus Giganteus Pics?

Recently, a sub-sea research company encountered a Bathynomus Giganteus. A creepy, many-legged, horrifying giant isopod.
On board their remotely operated vehicle, or ROV, was the giant isopod known as the Bathynomus giganteus. The 2.5-foot-long critter is believed to have attached himself to the sub at about 8,500 feet.

The story of this creature is very mysterious. I saw a picture and it really looks creepy.
And thank god it is dead, imagine that thing moving.

What kind of animals are these Bathynomus Giganteus? Why are they so huge? At least in the pictures they look big.
What are some interesting facts about the Giant Isopod Bathynomus Giganteus. I heard some people used to have them as pets. That's weird.

Please post some pictures!

asked by Julian in Other - Pets & Animals | 5778 views | 04-01-2010 at 12:30 AM

Bathynomus giganteus is actually a deep-sea scavenger that feeds on dead whales, fish and squid. Known as an isopod, the creature can grow to be about 3 feet long. Its ample growth is speculated to be in relation to the cold water in which it dwells.

Seeing the pictures, it seems that the crablike creature is a giant Bathynomus Giganteus. The Bathynomus Giganteus is a large isopod which lives in the deep waters of Atlantic and Pacific Sea. The Bathynomus Giganteus, shown in the pictures shared by the technician, measures about two-and-a-half from head to tail.

They're not a major fishing target, although they do have a foodie fan base in some coastal parts of East Asia.

Many people, like myself, are fairly disgusted when they look at bathynomus giganteus photos. I think it's because they look like giant underwater bugs. This one actually is related to the pill bug which it resembles.

I love all sea creatures, and support efforts to protect them. Having said that, I would panic, and drown, if I saw this Bathynomus Giganteus giant isopod underwater.

Pictures of the Giant Isopod Bathynomus Giganteus,

Giant Isopod Bathynomus Giganteus

Giant Isopod Bathynomus Giganteus

answered by Avery | 04-01-2010 at 12:36 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.