Terri Schiavo Story Summary?

The Terri Schiavo case (pronounced /ˈʃaɪvoʊ/) was a seven-year long legal case that revolved around whether Terri Schiavo — diagnosed as being in a persistent vegetative state (PVS) for several years — could be disconnected from life support.

I remember watching Terri Schiavo's story on tv. In the case of Terri schiavo. Why did she have a feeding tube inserted in her if she was considered brain dead?

My mom told me about the Terri Schiavo story but I'd like to read more about it.
Is there a summary of Terri Schiavo's story?

asked by Serena in Politics | 7392 views | 03-22-2010 at 04:03 AM

There was a good documentary made about Terri Schiavo.

Terri Schiavo Story Summary:

Terri Schiavo entered a vegetative state in 1990 after adopting an "iced tea diet" (related to her bulimia), resulting in a disastrous potassium deficiency that caused irreversible brain damage. In this persistent vegetative state she remained the last fifteen years of her life, neurological tests indicating that her cerebral cortex was principally liquid.

Both Schiavo's doctors and her court-appointed doctors expressed the opinion that there existed no hope of rehabilitation.

Major media organizations paint the pitched battle over the life of Terri Schiavo as a clear- cut debate between pro-life and right-to-die advocates, bankrolled by big money activist organizations on both sides. But the case of the 41-year-old brain-injured Florida woman is anything but clear cut.

Terri Schiavo died in her Pinellas Park, Fla., hospice at 9:05 a.m. EST, nearly 14 days after doctors removed the feeding tube that had kept her alive for 15 years. Her husband, Michael Schiavo, held her in his arms as she took her final breaths.

The bitter family feud over Terri Schiavo continued after her death, with a member of the Schiavo family saying that her ashes will be buried in an undisclosed location near Philadelphia so that her immediate family doesn’t show up and turn the event into a media spectacle.

Picture of Terri Schiavo.

Terri Schiavo

answered by Gary | 03-22-2010 at 04:10 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.