Passover 2010 First Seder?

How to celebrate a Passover First Seder 2010?
Whens passover and what are the traditions? all I know is something about blood on doors.

So does anybody want to teach me how to celebrate my first Seder? Providing a link to a good Jewish website would also be just as helpful.

I've been invited to my first passover Seder, and I want to bring something to show that I am grateful for the invite, but what is an appropriate gift?
What are the main themes of the passover and how are they important for Jews?

Also can anyone explain the Passover 2010 first Seder night? What's that all about?

It seems to be that the last supper was really a passover Seder, I'm sure Jewish people will say yes, while Christians will say no.

asked by Lanie in Holidays | 2853 views | 03-28-2010 at 05:47 PM

Passover Seder celebrates the events of the Exodus...Joseph took his brothers and father and their families and servants into Egypt, where he had become important...the Pharaoh who came along later (not really specified how long) decided the Israelis would become a problem, and he made them slaves, then tried to kill them. Moses fought with Pharaoh to let them be free. They left, Pharaoh changed his mind and had his army chase them to the Sea of Reeds. The Israelis crossed the sea, The soldiers drowned.

When the Jews were leaving Egypt, after a week of mandatory abstinence from leavening, there was no time for the bread to rise, and the resulting food was matzoh. For Passover, the ingredients for matzoh are flour and water.

The traditional foods, which have NOTHING to do with cost or nutritional value, are completely symbolic or substitutes for foods that can't be eaten. Because you can't use flour, you use matzah meal, etc., include Matzah, eggs, potatoes, macaroons, gefilte fish, some greens, horseradish, and a fruit and nut mixture called Charoset, and then many foods which typically are made with corn syrup, but can be gotten during Passover season made with more natural sweeteners.

During the Seder, the middle matzah is broken in half. The smaller piece is returned to the set of matzahs while the larger piece is designated as the afikomen, or the dessert matzoh. Two distinct customs have arisen regarding the afikomen, both of which involve the afikomen being hidden as a means of keeping the children interested in the proceedings. In one custom, a child "steals" it and the parent has to find it. If the parent can't find it, the child is given a reward for the return of the afikomen. In the other custom the parents hide the afikomen and the children look for it at the end of the meal. If the children find it, they receive the reward.

During the Seder, a platter, called the "Seder Plate" is a main part of the dinner. The Seder Plate has on it all of the main symbols of Passover.

Passover begins on the 15th day of the month of Nisan (equivalent to March and April in Gregorian calendar), the first month of the Hebrew calendar's festival year according to the Hebrew Bible.

The night of the first Seder is March 29 (w/the chametz cleaned out by the night before). I think that April 6 is the last day.

It's pretty early this year - my guess is that next year (5771) will have to be a leap year and have an extra Adar in it.

The Seder Plate

The centerpiece of Passover meals is the Seder plate, which includes the symbolic foods which represent the harsh life of the enslaved Hebrews. The Seder plate takes a lot of time to prepare and contains six items on it, placed in a special order.

The Seder plate contains the Skank bone, a representation of the lamb sacrificed on the Passover night. As the sacrifice cannot be placed in the absence of a holy temple, people often put a roasted chicken neck in its place. Apart from this, there is the Matzo, a hard boiled egg, horseradish roots (as bitter herbs), the Harsoret (as paste), onion or boiled potato (the vegetable) and Romaine Lettuce.

answered by John | 03-28-2010 at 05:54 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.