Hyperextended Knee Injury?

My wife, who is always exercising, recently hyperextended her knee. I need to know what is the treatment for this type of injury? Will she be able to heal completely, how long does it take?
I just hope a Hyperextended knee is not a life long injury.

asked by Xavier in Men's Health | 21556 views | 08-08-2009 at 05:22 PM

Hyperextended knee refers to an injury in which the knee is forced beyond its normal fully straightened position. This position forces the lower leg excessively forward in relation to the upper leg. A hyperextended knee often occurs as a result of an awkward landing after a jump or from a contact injury to the lower leg. It is a common injury in jumping or leaping sports, such as gymnastics, basketball, volleyball and some types of dance.

There are multiple structures in the knee that could have been bothered. Always follow RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) first 48 hours then you can use heat, and if it is something that continues then you need to get it checked out.

answered by Holla | 08-08-2009 at 05:24 PM

Hyperextended knee injuries occur frequently. The knee can easily be stretched or twisted in a way that tears ligaments and causes intense pain, discomfort or long-lasting effects. There are immediate signs that you might have hyperextended your knee, and symptoms that continue days after the injury.

Treatment of hyperextended knee depends on the severity of the injury.

Avoiding sports and other activities that could further injure the knee is vital as the knee heals. In most cases, resting the leg for two to four weeks is recommended depending on the extent of the injury.

answered by Allison | 08-08-2009 at 05:27 PM

I think i've done the same, i wish it was initially through exercise. I knew straight away my leg had gone too far past straight and for a while after it there was some paid and bad pain if i straightened it too much again. This was a couple of months ago and in the last month i've been walking/jogging every morning and had the same thing happen today. I will RICE etc but Is this something I'm just going to have to live with or can i maybe tape my knee to avoid straightening it too much?

answered by Guest | 05-05-2010 at 06:15 AM

Man, I have both knees hyper-extended, I am a sk8boarder, the left knee was not that severe, it took like 9 months to get it heal, is not the same. The right still in pain after 1 year and 4 months.

It still swelling. My advice is that wait till it is completely heal, I would say 120% heal. After 9 months I get back to sk8, thinking it was good, but I lie to myself, a just felt on the wrong position, and there was a problem. Don't re-injured your knee, just take it easy, really easy.

Elevate your knee and try to do the alphabet or first the vocals, in that way you start to rebuilt the ligaments and tendons, do it gradually and don't force your self. Don't think you're going to go back to your activities that fast. I just start sk8ing again after 1 year and trust me I keep sk8ing easy, is way better but i still doing exercises to rebuilt all ligaments.

Don't walk or do any activity to force it. The first 2 or 3 months you just have to stay in bed, I know is hard but it is what is. Get crutches or wheelchair. Is really hard injure, so the healing, Get good food and a lot of fluids. Good luck...

answered by Guest | 04-29-2011 at 12:45 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.