Huguette Clark Estate?

I am searching for the wiki article of Huguette Clark but it doesn't seem to exist.
Huguette M. Clark is the owner of the Clark Estate and I wanted more info about him.
Does anyone know about a website where I can read mister Huguette M. Clark's bio? Or a wiki article?
Please help me.

asked by Ashlynn in Places of the World | 90023 views | 02-26-2010 at 08:02 PM

You're right, there is no wikipedia article about Huguette Clark yet.
All I could find in wikipedia was this:

"In 1928 Huguette M. Clark, owner of the Clark Estate across from the salt pond, agreed to donate $50,000 to excavate the pond and create an artificial freshwater lake. Ms. Clark stipulated that the facility would be named Andree Clark Bird Refuge after her deceased sister. Both Clark sisters were daughters of "Copper King" William A. Clark. The Clarks donated more money in 1930 to complete the work modeled after Ralph Stevens' plans."

I hope you can find this information useful.

Edit: This is a photo from 1917 of mister Clark and his daughters Andrée and Huguette visiting Columbia Gardens, which he built in Butte. Huguette is the girl on the right.

Huguette Clark photo

answered by Zoom | 02-26-2010 at 08:04 PM

Hugette was William Clark's daughter from his second marriage. She is 104 and hardly ever heard or seen from. I read an interesting article this morning about her but now cant find it. Hopes this helps

answered by Guest | 02-27-2010 at 02:18 AM

Huguette Clark
No one knows where Huguette Clark currently is. It is a she, not a he, the daughter of William. She is now 104 years old and does have an attorney who has been instructed to keep her privacy. There is an article about her mysterious disappearance that I believe I read on msnbc. Search for William and you will probably find your way.

answered by Guest | 02-27-2010 at 07:21 AM

SEE attached.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35266269/ns/business-picture_stories/displaymode/1247/?beginSlide=1

answered by Guest | 02-27-2010 at 06:46 PM

Clark mystery
She has a host of attorneys in NY and Santa Barbara. Attorneys find it advisable to keep deep pocket clients alive and the cash flow rolling. I see the Connecticut property is for sale so I assume she has a conservator who can please the attorneys.

answered by Guest | 02-27-2010 at 07:59 PM

Hugette Clark
I too just read the article about Huguette Clark on MSNBC and find it FASCINATING!!! I am searching all over the web to find more info and found this post. I just can't believe the story of the New Canaan mansion not being lived in since 1952 as well as the Santa Barbara mansion since 1963...just cannot believe it. Does anybody out there have any first hand knowledge on these two stories...and Huguette being a 103 yr old recluse?

answered by Guest | 02-28-2010 at 12:46 AM

huguette clark
my grandmother worked for H.C. in nyc for many years as a housekeeper.. lots of stories to tell

answered by Guest | 02-28-2010 at 01:01 AM

Please share with us your Grandmother stories about Huguette Clark ? Was she a recluse ? Do you think she is alive and where is she ?

answered by Guest | 02-28-2010 at 01:42 AM

reply to housekeeper's grandchild
To the grandchild of the former Clark housekeeper:

My name is Bill Dedman. I wrote the article on msnbc.com, the news Web site.

Could you contact me off the list? I'm at bill.dedman@msnbc.com

Thanks,

Bill

Links to the articles:

Here are all the links for "The Clarks: an American story of wealth, scandal and mystery."

The full slideshow and narrative:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35266272/ns/business/

Notes and sources, with more detail on each slide, trivia, etc., with a list of references we used:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35446674/ns/business/

A PDF file for easy printing, with large photos, is here:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35470011/ns/business/

answered by Bill Dedman | 03-02-2010 at 06:28 AM

Bill,

Read your article on MSNBC. Have you learn anymore information on Hugette Clark's whereabouts since you posted the story ?

answered by Guest | 03-04-2010 at 09:24 PM

Hugette Clark
Sorry, I was married to an attorney. Her attorney will not pass on flowers, cards etc. from her family..... he maintains her privacy..... get real people follow the money. Haven't we seen this sort of thing happen before, especially in NYC? The family ought to man up and demand the attorney disclose her location before it is too late, or maybe it already is.

answered by Guest | 03-05-2010 at 12:39 PM

?
When was the last time anyone saw Ms. Clark ?

answered by Guest | 03-05-2010 at 01:14 PM

This story is absolutely riveting! Well done Bill Dedman.

To the granddaughter of the housekeeper: is there any chance you might share just one anecdote on this board?

I'm sure you have 'lots of visitors here on the edge of their seats.

answered by Guest | 03-05-2010 at 01:21 PM

I cannot seem to get past picture 14 on the article on msnbc...this story is very interesting.

answered by Guest | 03-05-2010 at 02:40 PM

i know where she is

answered by tom blow | 03-05-2010 at 02:52 PM

Here's a few interesting pieces I've found on this story:

A comment from another message board: "She may be 103 but she still hangs out at Le Cirque and Veau d'Or" (expensive NYC restaurants)

A bio on the lawyer (he's nearly 80!) Wallace Bock (Member) born Brooklyn, New York, March 7, 1932; admitted to bar, 1958, New York, U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and U.S. Court of International Trade; 1969, U.S. Supreme Court. Education: Brooklyn College of the City University of New York (B.A., 1953); Columbia University (LL.B., 1958). Phi Alpha Delta. Board Member, 1974—, Treasurer, 1980-1985, Vice President, 1985—, National Jewish Commission on Law and Public Affairs (COLPA). Member, Community Board No. 9, Queens County, City of New York, 1990—. Chair, Legal and Legislative Committee, 1991—, Second Vice Chair, 1996-2001. Official Mediator, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York. Member: The Association of the Bar of the City of New York; New York State Bar Association (Member, Elder Law Section); Real Estate Tax Review Bar Association of New York. Practice Areas: Tax Certiorari Law; General Real Estate Law; Trusts and Estates Law

And finally, the man who wrote this piece has a Pulitzer Prize!

answered by Guest | 03-05-2010 at 02:55 PM

I just found fourth piece:

"My Mother worked for Mrs Clark for years until she My Mother was in her middle 70's she made her lunch everyday Mrs Clark liked sardines in the can and crackers her other apartment was for Dolls Every time a new Baby Doll came out my Mom went to FAO Swartz and bought it for her. I actually got her a Doll at Alexanders in the Bronx I worked there and FAO had sold out before my Mom got there. I was in that apartment once the day I delivered the doll. My Mothers name was Delia Healey She loved Mrs Clark"

answered by Guest | 03-05-2010 at 03:06 PM

More Please...
I read the article this morning on MSNBC - utterly fascinating !

And I read the post whereas it was stated that the 'posters' grandmother worked for the family...this means that more could potentially unfold...

Please write this into a book !

answered by Guest | 03-05-2010 at 03:11 PM

H. M. Clark
I read your article this morning, how very interesting. Who doesn't love a mystery? Hope to see and enjoy more of your stories in the future. Would also like to see a follow up to this one as some point down the road. Thanks, Jill

answered by Guest | 03-05-2010 at 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlynn View Post
I am searching for the wiki article of Huguette Clark but it doesn't seem to exist.
Huguette M. Clark is the owner of the Clark Estate and I wanted more info about him.
Does anyone know about a website where I can read mister Huguette M. Clark's bio? Or a wiki article?
Please help me.
You should enjoy this:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35266269...ies/?GT1=43001

answered by Guest | 03-05-2010 at 04:23 PM

I googled her name and found four states that reported a Huguette Clark: CA, CT, NY, and Denver, CO. I bet she's in Denver.

Link here:

http://names.whitepages.com/California/Huguette/Clark

answered by Julie | 03-05-2010 at 04:33 PM

Bill
What a great story. Its nice to enjoy reading an article with such mystery behind it. I have never heard of this family and find it amazing how this family did not play a larger role in American history based on the extreme wealth. Thanks again, I truly enjoyed reading it this morning.

answered by Guest | 03-05-2010 at 05:26 PM

What is her actual address on Fifth Avenue?

answered by Guest1024 | 03-05-2010 at 05:40 PM

reply to housekeepers granchild
I would love to hear some stories from someone who knows her firsthand. I know your probably going to get paid from telling your stories but I think you should share with us

answered by Guest | 03-05-2010 at 06:13 PM

Quote:
Please help me.
hugette clark is the daughter of senator william andrew clark
msn has a good article about them on today's page Fri. 3-5-10

answered by Guest | 03-05-2010 at 07:54 PM

This is the most fascinating story I've read in a long time. Craving for more info.

answered by Guest | 03-05-2010 at 07:59 PM

Sal
Considering this woman's vast wealth, I think a little less mystery, and a little more proof that she is really still alive and well looked after is in order. Let us not forget Howard Hughes, Doris Duke etc. I find the fact that her family, or what's left of it, can not even see her very odd. I hope the reporter who wrote that interesting article this morning on MSN will continue to pursue the facts in her case, for her sake.

answered by Guest | 03-05-2010 at 09:04 PM

KFW
Very well done Bill. Interesting read.This is the first time I have ever heard of the Clark family.
Would love more information.

answered by Guest | 03-05-2010 at 09:43 PM

B
Ms. Clark's lengthy absence and obstructed contact from her family 'red-lights' issues concerning her well-being. It is not in her best interest that lawyers or caretakers do not forward letters and gifts; if family members truly believe correspondence from them is being withheld from her, they should seek the help of a lawyer or law-enforcement officials.

Anytime someone goes this long without being seen or heard from, especially given Ms. Clark's circumstances, it fosters thoughts of foul play.

Hopefully, Ms. Clark is alive, in relative good health, and/or being well-taken care of. Communication with her family could go a long way towards improving her quality of life, but ultimately, once her health and well-being have been established, you have to respect her wishes as far as her privacy is concerned.

answered by Guest | 03-05-2010 at 11:51 PM

TOM BLOW: Please do share. Where is she?

answered by Guest | 03-06-2010 at 02:57 AM

Wesley D
This is a Very helpful link about Mr. Clark, You will find this Very informational and Bill you don't owe me a "Copper" for the education:

God Speed !!
Wesley D

answered by Guest | 03-06-2010 at 03:22 AM

hugette clark
I myself found this truly interesting hope to hear more of the story.

answered by Guest | 03-06-2010 at 04:38 AM

I enjoyed this - and wonder of any other history of Anna, as my family is also from Calumet, MI.

answered by Guest | 03-06-2010 at 06:08 AM

I loved this story!!! I Couldn't get enough and am trying to find more stories pic's anything. Just to think of the places she saw, the people she met. And she doesn't want anyone to know where she is gets me the most. WHY WHY????? I really hope she has journalese her life's happiness, sadness, loves. I would Love to read that.

answered by b jo | 03-06-2010 at 05:56 PM

I also found this article very interesting. I found myself feeling very sad for Huguette. I would truly like to know if she is still alive or if her attorneys are taking advantage of her wealth posthumously. I am anxious to hear more about her life and definitely hope someone can discover if she is still alive.

answered by Guest | 03-06-2010 at 07:44 PM

I too read this very interesting article...it concerns me that no one but the attorney knows where Ms Clark is. I just went through 5 years of hell...almost because of the same thing. A close friend (had one living relative that was 105) found out she was had cancer. The doctor treating her told her"you don't have cancer...you have diabetes". This doctor became her primary care doctor within 2 weeks and started making house calls daily to her home...bringing Hagan Das Chocolate ice cream and feeding her personally by spoon each night. He would get mad if anyone talked to her about her health...she ended up in the hospital and I stayed with her there for the last 3 1/2 months of her life. A month before she died her will was changed leaving all to her doctor and her attorney was executor. Who in their right mind allows such a change??? All of her wishes were disregarded and in the final month...she was begging for a new doctor and an attorney...but the attorney said she was incompetent. If she was, why did they let her change her will??? She died in a nursing home...even though she wanted to die at home. The attorney changed all of the locks and had her moved to the nursing home. She had a vacation home in Florida that she put my name on with hers a year prior and the lawyer tried to move it to an LLC. I had to fight for 5 years to get what was supposed to be mine. I still only got 60% of it.
The worst part is this woman died of cervical cancer that was caught so early in the game...all she had to go was get a hysterectomy, but the doctor had other plans. He received about 11 million dollars after all was liquidated.

answered by Guest3 | 03-06-2010 at 11:42 PM

Bill:

You must pursue this story for your readers. It is absolutely fascinating - we want more. If you could piece it together it would make a great movie!

What happened to the distant cousin mentioned in the article?

answered by GuestM | 03-13-2010 at 02:15 PM

?
I found this article very interesting. And found myself also searching the Net for more information on this fascinating family! Unfortunately there is not much to be found!! I would love to know what the apartment and homes look like and contain inside. It is amazing to know she just walked out of both of them one day and never returned. I can only imagine the beautiful antiques and paintings. It is so amazing that the contents were left "as is" and are valuables possessions of hers and her parents that lived so many yrs ago. For the person who has first hand info. from their mother who worked for Huguette. Please share your wonderful stories of this mysterious woman!!
Thank You!!

answered by Guest | 03-22-2010 at 05:43 PM

huguette
Quote:
Please help me.
i think we should start a grass roots search for HG.. tee shirts etc WHERE is HUGUETTE CLARK
..write letters to the attorneys or get an email list going trying to get 1000 names on the where is HC message? anybody in? Chrissy, granddaughter of delia healey former employee of HC

answered by Guest | 03-26-2010 at 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Dedman View Post
To the grandchild of the former Clark housekeeper:

My name is Bill Dedman. I wrote the article on msnbc.com, the news Web site.

Bill can we start an international "WHERE is Huguette Clark" via email tee shirts and facebook?

answered by Guest | 03-26-2010 at 03:31 PM

I'm in!

answered by Guest | 03-27-2010 at 05:35 PM

Ms Clark lives full time in a NYC hospital.

answered by Guest | 04-03-2010 at 02:56 AM

In a Hospital? Is she ill? I know how old she is, but my grandmother lived to be 106 and was not sick a day in her life...passed away in her sleep.
Is Ms Clark OK? How long has she been in the hospital?

answered by Guest | 04-04-2010 at 06:42 AM

this is silly talk really! i saw Huguette in 2006 at her Santa Barbara house (she went there every year in the summer after all). she walked unaided through her lovely roses & still had her tinkling laugh. her mind was sharp as a tack - as always. she is an awfully bright lady who simply likes her privacy. just because people say they haven't seen her doesn't really mean they haven't, they are discrete out of respect. there was a funny incident when some ghastly people tried to influence her choices with slandering lies & got their karmic reward right in front of her ~ she said she had no intention of listening to them! she is a wonderful person, very carefully brought up in the old world style (when folks minded their own business). angels all around you darling...

answered by Guest | 04-13-2010 at 12:20 AM

All the power to Hugette!!!
I like what the last person wrote. It paints a picture of a still empowered Ms.Clark.I wonder if she ever went to Whitemarsh Hall.Now that was a mansion. Sorry getting off topic.

answered by Charles | 04-17-2010 at 12:30 PM

to the individual who posted the last comment
To the individual who posted the last comment are you in anyway associated with Huguette. Your comment leaves me to beleive that you are probably her own lawyer looking out for his best interests financially speaking. Yes she is old but if she is in relatively good health doesn't she still have responsibilities towards her own family. I mean she does have grand children along with great grand children i take it. Why wouldn't one make themselves available to such wonderful gifts such as quality time with loved ones. This goes against complete common sense. The older people get the more they cherish spending time with loved ones. I believe that Huguette's privacy should remain that way to us the public but definitely not to her own family who are complaining as to her well being and whereabouts. For all we know she may be already dead some time ago. The only way to get around a lawyer is with an even better and yes more expensive lawyer. benefit of the doubt in this case cannot be given to her lawyers.Common sense would tell you that there is just too much motive here. Here's to hoping that someone sees this through all the way. Good Luck

answered by Guest | 04-17-2010 at 03:30 PM

I am with you on the "grass roots search for HG.. tee shirts etc WHERE is HUGUETTE CLARK"...

Lawyer is beyond suspect.

answered by Guest | 04-28-2010 at 04:53 AM

clues from Santa Barbara
I am a Santa Barbara resident who has been following the Huguette Clark mystery for years. I find the claim that she was at Bellosguardo in 2006 to be very suspect. Numerous other people who know the caretakers claim that she has not set foot on the estate for more than 50 years. One report had her there last around 1972. But, for those of you who are unfamiliar with Bellosguardo, it is a massive cliff-top estate that is really only visible by air. So, I guess it's plausible that Ms. Clark could arrive and depart without being seen. Still, it find it suspect and alarming that not a single person can or will publicly step forward with any real information about her whereabouts. Bellosguardo is one of the largest estates in the country and has employed dozens of staff over the past 50 years....not one of them has ever publicly said they have ever met or seen her.

I want a "Where is Huguette Clark?" t-shirt! And I am sure there are many other people in Santa Barbara who would love one. Anyone got a friend in the t-shirt biz?

answered by Guest | 04-29-2010 at 09:49 AM

The Santa Barbara Magazine article is very good
This is a very good article...if you can find a copy.

"The House on the Hill," Josh Conviser, Santa Barbara magazine, August-September 2009, tells the story of the Clark estate, Bellosguardo, in Santa Barbara.

answered by Guest | 04-29-2010 at 09:56 AM

where?
I too read this fascinating Bill Dedman story. What a great reporter. Everyone has a right to privacy. However.....given her vast wealth and age I think she needs to be seen.

If all the stories are true and she hasn't been seen in so very long, (Mr. Dedman indicates that her own nephews haven't heard from her) it raises suspicions. If the estates' staff and relatives are making these statements I would hope a court order could be obtained to force the attorney to give proof of her existence and health.

She needn't make a grand public appearance. Just appear before a court to put fears to rest. Her age and wealth makes her a reasonable victim to be taken advantage of and I thought our legal system made allowances for acting in someone's best interest. I would consider my aunt a missing person if all I got was a brick wall from an attorney. Attorneys are NOT the law, nor above reproach.

answered by Guest | 05-11-2010 at 03:05 PM

Clark Family Wealth
I recently read a book about the Huguettes father William Clark called "The War of the Copper Kings." If anyone is interested in learning more about how the Clarks acquired such a vast fortune I really recommend it. It was written by C.B. Glasscock.

answered by Guest | 05-12-2010 at 09:40 PM

How to succceed W.A.C. 1st
This story is an amazing piece that could only be told in America. The William Andrews Clark story is one that should be reviewed by all who wish to succeed in this great land of ours. The fortune left to Huguette was only obtained by a very great mind in American business.

As a Senator WAC was asked to tell a man how he could get on in the world - succeed in life. "First," he said, carefully determine upon an occupation or profession, which choice should depend upon qualification and congeniality - for a person must have their heart in their work if they would succeed. "The most essential elements of success in life are - a purpose, increasing industry, temperate habits, scrupulous regards for one's word, faithful performance of every promise, perfect system in business so as to be in close touch with all details, putting nothing off until tomorrow, courteous manners, a generous regards for the rights of others, and, above all, integrity which admits of no qualification or variation. " Then there must be unflinching courage to meet and overcome the difficulties that beset one's pathway. " If all these qualities be not inherent they can be and must be cultivated. " Rather a host of qualifications, but the person to make a through success in life must have them."

answered by Guest | 05-15-2010 at 05:27 PM

fascinating
her story is fascinating. I hope she is in good health. this also makes he wonder who her other 4 siblings are and how they contributed to America. They also received an equal piece of the pie, as it states Hughette only got a 5th of the estate ( plus a 90,000 allowance until 18). There are 4 other Hughette level rich siblings. I wonder if I could find them in census...

answered by Guest | 07-14-2010 at 04:22 AM

I was also fascinated about the story, and am pretty amazed at the responses. No, she hasn't neglected her grandchildren, she never had any children, and her siblings were all older than her mother, so I doubt they were ever close.

Great story, and I too would love to know where she is, and how she is. I don't consider it my right to invade her privacy, so I hope someday to read more. But I don't think we should call the cops.

answered by Guest | 07-18-2010 at 01:43 AM

This is alarming
I understand the need/desire for privacy in some people, but this seems to border on the pathological. Perhaps, because older people are often exceptionally stubborn and entrenched in habits that once might have made sense, but no longer do (I have a senior parent who behaves in much the same way, for no exigent reason), it might be wise to have someone step in and evaluate her true situation.

My guess? The lawyer has long since had her sign over everything to him; however, since he's 70 or so, it seems like a waste. She obviously has vast resources, among the homes, artifacts, stocks and other holdings, and it really needs to be determined what her true wishes are by an impartial and fresh eye.

Should she die in her sleep, regardless of what age, how will the liquidation of her estate be handled? Who benefits? If she is lucid, she needs to sit down and spell out her wishes to persons who can record and share (witness, legally) the knowledge. If not, a panel of professionals might well evaluate her, look at her history of bequests, interests, and behaviors, to determine as well as possible whom she might wish to benefit from her wealth.

I would hope, when all has been sold/auctioned/bequeathed to actual relatives (whom, I gather, she doesn't trust or, as others here have said, she is being kept from so she actually won't give them anything), that the proceeds can actually benefit animals, medical research, museums, social programs, conservation, universities and the like. I can't imagine that she would, in her right mind, want to benefit only one person--regardless of what he may have done for her over the years--when her legacy could do so much for so many.

Because I tend to be suspicious of one guardian whose behavior and motives are less than transparent, and with so much potentially at stake, I sincerely believe disinterested but responsible parties should step in before it's too late. I am not an advocate of minding other people's business and, for all we know, Ms Clark has all brain cells intact...but I'm betting her judgment isn't what it used to be and her best interests truly need to be overseen by more than one person who may or may not actually represent her wishes.

How many such situations exist that no one--perhaps even the party directly involved--knows about and terrible things are gotten away with?

answered by Guest | 07-30-2010 at 12:55 PM

Congrats and admiration to Bill Dedman
A big hats off to Bill Dedman. Your bio is certainly impressive. Thanks for the stellar work - very interesting. You're a wonderful investigative journalist, teacher, innovator and a great role model. Thank you.

answered by Guest | 07-30-2010 at 02:59 PM

I hope she has lived her life happily and her wishes are followed as she has designated them.

answered by Guest | 07-30-2010 at 09:28 PM

ATTORNEY
Another of her attorneys names is Edward Mellick (born in 1945) of Conn. At least he is the one who has handled several RE transactions/deals, for her. I imagine a woman of her wealth has many attorneys.
I PRAY that this woman has not been engulfed by the corrupt guardianship courts.
Want to see what I mean ? Visit the site below, very disturbing ! It happens everywhere !

answered by James | 07-31-2010 at 07:49 AM

Fascinating!
Loved the story! Bill Dedman, great job! Can't wait for the movie...

answered by bebacious | 08-02-2010 at 02:01 PM

Mrs. Clark
Sounds like people only want to find out where she is just to nag her about money etc. Why don't you just say what you think instead of beating around the bush. Here is how you be truthful....Mrs. Clark I am married and have one daughter. I struggle from day to day to make it I wondering if you could give me 1 million of your 500 billion dollars that you own. If you lived like we do you would possibly give 2million. Just be honest people that is all you want from her. TN poor man in search of Mrs. Clark's lawyer!!!! Considering that is the only way you can get in touch with her. I know how you can get a message to her!

answered by Neal | 08-02-2010 at 02:51 PM

A mystery, but also a lesson
I agree that maybe someone who can walk middle ground through this should be at the very least allowed to physically see her and talk with her to determine her mental and physical status, and to make sure that everything is on the up and up I feel sure though, that even with all the present controversy over her privacy and health, that this has already been done. The result just hasn't been 'advertised' because of her demand for complete privacy.

I haven't read the article or the book quoted in previous messages, but I intend to do that as soon as this message is finished. As most others agree, this is indeed a mystery that needs to be read by all interested. However, beyond that, I believe Ms Clark's desire for total privacy should be respected. I'm thinking that, because she was badgered so badly for being 'the little rich girl' in her younger days, she decided on the reclusive life for two reasons--1) complete privacy, and 2) to show those who criticized her when she was at a very vulnerable age that, all the riches in the world does not make one happy. Since she had the financial means to be able to do this, she simply told her lawyers to 'make it so'.

Any issue, especially long-term issues like this one, which involves lawyers, should be carefully examined to determine if the woman is being taken to the cleaners or is not getting the healthcare she needs, but beyond that, please leave the woman alone. After all, she did not enter into this reclusive life to become badgered by strangers to 'come out and let us see you'!

I do hope, though, that she has had her life recorded in some way, so that when she does leave this world, we will all have a really good and non-fictional book to read.

answered by Guest | 08-02-2010 at 03:47 PM

Leave Her Alone
If the woman does not want to be found...do not try to find her.
Learn to respect people's privacy.

Since when did we wake up and feel entitled to know everyone's personal business.

It's ridiculous.

Where is Huguette Clark t-shirts?? Are you people serious!?
Let the mystery be just that...a mystery.

If you ask me, she's done this for a reason. The world is not what it used to be.

With respect,
Angela

answered by Angela Meyers | 08-02-2010 at 04:52 PM

Bellosguardo in Santa Barbara cost only $300,000 when they bought it from the Graham family. I was fascinated by that because that house must be worth millions today and is just stunning to say the least.

We all need to respect her privacy, but the family has a right to at least know where she is regardless. Let one of the representatives of the family determine if that is indeed her wishes by at the very least a visit with her from 1 family member who can determine this is indeed her wish to be left alone by everybody including family.

I am not wealthy and if someone were to give me money I would likely pay my house off, but I am not going to bother wealthy folks to help me over it, I never had to ask anyone and I am one of the Hunt descendants and didn't want their money and certainly don´t want anyone else´s...yeah that would be the Hunts from Texas...if I didn't want their money I certainly don´t bother others for theirs.

I suspect we have the attorney among us making the snide comments.

answered by Guest | 08-02-2010 at 06:32 PM

The story of Huguette Clark is an interesting one and is not yet over.

The extended Clark family years ago lost contact with the two daughters of the copper baron and chose to pursue their lives as average, upper middle class, educated and successful people in California.

One branch of the family settled in Los Angeles and were graduated from college before WWII. Elmer Clark and his brother Charles served with distinction in WWII.

The elder brother Charles was a pilot in the the Army Air Corps flying Allied bombing missions against German cities... and ultimately was retired as a full colonel from the United States Air Force.

That part of the Clark family settled in Yucaipa, California -- which is a short commute from the now decommissioned March Air Force Base in Riverside County.

Huguette Clark and her deceased relatives and attorneys never made contact with any of those family members... and to this day the ultimate disposition of her estate remains in the care attorneys who have benefited from her withdrawal society and shall reap more reward with her future passing.

I hope that her assets would instead better be distributed to people who wish to benefit society rather than themselves through good works and needed charitable endeavors.

answered by Glenn | 08-02-2010 at 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Hugette was William Clark's daughter from his second marriage. She is 104 and hardly ever heard or seen from. I read an interesting article this morning about her but now cant fin it. Hopes this helps
The article it's actually in yahoo.com one of the highlights.

answered by Guest | 08-02-2010 at 10:16 PM

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/93894?fp=1

this link tells where she is

answered by Guest | 08-02-2010 at 10:48 PM

Well its pretty obvious looking at all the responses here why she wants her privacy....because of all the money hungry people who would try to bleed her dry.
Personally if I had that kind of money and stature I would be just as private as she is being....she just may very well be out and about NYC and where ever else she has a home, but she is better off remaining unknown since she would never get a moment of peace from the general public looking for handouts...
But I for one would love to meet her to hear her stories and look at her homes, I may be poor but not looking for any handouts~just interested...

answered by Guest | 08-02-2010 at 11:11 PM

As someone that is intrigued by history, I hope that she is keeping some some sort of memoir to tell her story someday. I respect the fact that she lives in privacy, and maybe her family that is left is also trying to get money out of her and that's why she has not kept in contact with them either. I hope that it's not a lawyer that benefits from her estate in the end, and that she has designated someone deserving or a notable charity. What a great mystery though that hopefully someday we will get more information on!!

I do find it odd though that someone that has that sort of wealth would choose to be in a hospital. She may have tried to live her life as "normal" as possible, but certainly, having 'round the clock care from a few private physicians would be much better for her privacy and health than being in a public hospital. Just a thought...

answered by Guest | 08-02-2010 at 11:50 PM

Reply to Guest
I too agree with the following:

I too read this fascinating Bill Dedman story. What a great reporter. Everyone has a right to privacy. However.....given her vast wealth and age I think she needs to be seen.

If all the stories are true and she hasn't been seen in so very long, (Mr. Dedman indicates that her own nephews haven't heard from her) it raises suspicions. If the estates' staff and relatives are making these statements I would hope a court order could be obtained to force the attorney to give proof of her existence and health.

She needn't make a grand public appearance. Just appear before a court to put fears to rest. Her age and wealth makes her a reasonable victim to be taken advantage of and I thought our legal system made allowances for acting in someone's best interest. I would consider my aunt a missing person if all I got was a brick wall from an attorney. Attorneys are NOT the law, nor above reproach.

I have never heard of Miss Clark, but I find this story fascinating! I am however very concerned with the well being of this woman. I truly hope that we don't hear about something horrible happening to this woman years from now. I agree with the statement above. How do we know this attorney has done something with her? I'm sure she wants her privacy from her family because they are probably all after her money. It's sad to hear she doesn't have anyone to leave her fortune to. I hope that when she does pass the estates are looked after and maybe turned into museums. I really hope Bill turns this into a book!!! I am not a book reader, but this one I would purchase.

answered by Guest BrieCheese | 08-03-2010 at 12:34 AM

Clark County
I live in Clark County and found this story very interesting. Thanks to the person that put the web story about William. Hard to believe she is still alive at 104 and I agree that something might be wrong if letters and flowers are being withheld from her from her friends. She might enjoy hearing from someone who cares about her. The story today said she is in a minimal care unit and certainly she deserves more than that. She can afford the best and many people with money want privacy and great care units provide that too. Her lawyer is not doing the best for her. To her nephew, look into it. The news said they know where she is so find her. I don't know her but I am concerned for her happiness. I bet she had a great life and saw the world when she was young. Love the story.

answered by Karen | 08-03-2010 at 01:42 AM

Doll Collection
I want to see her doll collection.

answered by Guest | 08-03-2010 at 02:58 AM

It does not matter what we think is best for her. She has chosen what she wanted her life to be... a private matter. That should concern no one but her. The fact is many speculate about her mental stability or her attorney's motives because of her choice to live life in anonymity. Would we be just as interested in her life if she did not come from such wealth? She has lived a long and full life as she chose. Please be kind and respect her privacy. If a reporter is willing to do that, then why can't we? For when all is said and done, it is her life to live as she chooses.

answered by Guest | 08-03-2010 at 04:47 AM

I loved this article Thanks Bill! I really would like to know more about her and her family. Maybe read a book about her in the future, very awesome story. I am very sorry that she is not spending time with her family, she deserves that happiness. We are nobody in this world let her be and let her keep her privacy she might feel that that s all she has left now, after suffering her way into knowing that money is purely Satan at work.

answered by Barragan | 08-03-2010 at 08:20 AM

She recently ordered a cake!
My friend owns a Bakery in Moorpark near Santa Barbara and delivered a cake last year to Bellosguardo House. An elderly lady called in looking for the small personal size carrot cake for her birthday. My friend said everything stood out about this order…. Mrs. Clark was very kind over the phone and was OK paying $25 delivery fee for a $25 cake. Her driver had even mentioned how nice and extremely big the property the house is on was.

After seeing the story on MSNBC I cannot believe she made a Delicious cake for the one and only Hugette Clark. Wonder how she looks like besides sounding nice over the phone. I 'am sure people see her just don't recognized who she is. Really neat story may she live to see many more years until her story comes to a end

answered by Guest | 08-03-2010 at 08:09 PM

A response to some of those who have written, plus
Neal, in Tennessee, you are wrong. People are able to care about someone, and express their concern, without wanting a dime of their wealth. Money doesn't make the world go around. Love, trust, friendship, loyalty, hard work, and integrity do.

Angela Meyers, you are correct. The world is not as it once was, especially in terms of one's personal privacy. Unfortunately, many people have suffered for this fact. I would like to thank you for recognizing the need to respect one's wishes.

And, lastly, to Ms. Hugette Clark, wherever you are, from what I have read you are an intelligent woman, with a fine mind, and a keen sense of humor. I honestly hope that you are well.

Most Sincerely,

Irene T. Mac Donald
Colorado Springs, Colorado

answered by Irene | 08-03-2010 at 08:13 PM

Just a person
I have read all these threads and am amazed no one said anything about wondering if she is saved? who cares about her money. I wouldn't tell anyone where i lived either she is smart, unfortunately never as we know experienced a loving husband and family ,that guy she married probably really missed out on a real gem and hopefully she is not still grieving those losses, her mom sister were beautiful. I hope she accepted Jesus as her man because what if you gain the whole world and lose your soul. i was able today as i read feel such a burden of pain as i believe she felt, i am glad it was not lasting more than one hour because it was extraordinary, i believe God let me feel it, so my wife and i prayed for her, that if she didn't know Jesus as her Lord and savior she would, and that he would take her pain away from missing her mom and that ex husband. See i have a wonderful wife and three kids, lost two at two different times and we prayed for twins a boy and girl and got them. I have always wanted what she had and believed God would Bless me to get it to help other people(like starving really poor ) and spread his word . and feel she always wanted what i have, so for an hour i was extremely grieved and wept, really strange, it was as if God let me feel her burden so i would lift her up to him in prayer. if we only cared more about each other we would care about them enough to do that and not seek what they can give us, but what we can give them. if anyone wants to know about eternal riches email me, revelation74@verizon.net

answered by Guest | 08-03-2010 at 08:32 PM

She probably has a Trust so we won't know any details of her estate.

It says she had three older siblings that split her dad's estate with her. If so she is likely not a billionaire....I do wonder what her net worth is though?

Bill found she did sell of a Renoir painting.....maybe she was cash strapped???

I would love to read a book about her someday...also Daniel Keith Ludwig was the richest man in the world and just as reclusive.

answered by Guest | 08-04-2010 at 03:28 PM

Mr. G S Vandeleur. London . England. SW9 7PY.
I also read the article concerning Ms Hugette Clark a few days ago. It made me almost laugh (which is quite rare in itself). Happy that she'd been found whether in (as the report did suggest) a 'drabby' hospital, or not?

I managed to munch my way through the observations and comments posted on this website, didn't know that I could? But did anyway!

With no disrespect to any of you. I thought some of the comments were quite funny?

Someone somewhere knows what the situation is with respect to Hugette/Ms Clark.

But if anyone reading this does know of the whereabouts of Ms. Clark/ Hugette?

She must be some woman (whether she knows it or not) to have got me to post this, my first response to an article read in respect of the life of another. Not that i never wanted to but I was always a bit too busy.

It may seem a silly and really soppy thing to say, but thank you!!!!

In some funny way, it's all a bit great really! Amazing!!!

Good Day!!!

G S Vandeleur.

answered by Guest | 08-06-2010 at 09:39 AM

I too want to see her doll collection! I hope one day to be debt free and learn about investments.

answered by Guamanian | 08-07-2010 at 01:27 PM

Thanks Bill Dedman for an excellent story of American History. After having spent most of the day reading articles and researching the (little) history of this family, I felt compelled to write.

Although great wealth is involved and that in it's self makes for interesting reading; most importantly, the history of the homes and the belongings within them are treasures of American History. Hats off to the dedicated care takers for taking pride and keeping the estate original.

I hope to read more about this amazing story in the future. May Mrs Clark have her privacy please!

answered by Guest | 08-07-2010 at 07:35 PM

He needs to write a book about the Huguette....

answered by Guest | 08-09-2010 at 02:48 PM

Heard Where She Is Living as A Patient
I heard through a reliable source about one week ago that she is a patient at one of the high rated New York Hospitals. I was surprised because I have had 4 surgeries there. The staff is a gentle and caring staff. The doctors are the best in New York, but I respect when others desire privacy and I won't give the hospital's name. I wish everyone interested in H.C. well.. Blessings to everyone.

answered by Guest | 08-10-2010 at 09:28 PM

The MSNBC article and some of the posts remind me of a time a few years back, when my husband and I were sort of window shopping for a home. There was this house in Long Island New York, that a realtor took us to see and when we walked in, the house which looked like a doll house because of its size, actually was the size of a doll house.

There were lots of old dolls everywhere and there was a narrow staircase that led up to a. Small loft which had a small bed with a lumpy bed and mattress from like the 1940s and there were many small old fashion Kewpie dolls on mantles and some on the bed. Something about it all did not seem or feel normal and I remember wondering why this lady even brought us there as we had made it known we were interested in a normal sized home.

The house, looked as if though it was being used as a doll's house or even a place where one would go to play with dolls. It had a small kitchen and the bath room was upstairs. After we left we were both speechless, because the realtor (a woman). Had said to us that, the story about that house was sad and one that she couldn't talk about and that sort of gave us the chills. I sensed that whoever lived there (we were told that it was an elderly woman who had just died. This was around 2002) was someone who was not well and probably had to be looked after, because the realtor kept, saying "It is so sad, so sad".

The house smelled stale, mildewy and something that had been left there to rot. The place was very dusty and it was so warm there, that I wanted to run out of there. it was disturbing, because I wondered it the woman who lived there, who knows, might have been unaware due to mental instability, that she might have been a victim of abduction and possibly left there alone to die, unable to care for herself.

When I saw the story of the homes Huguette Clark left behind and heard of her fascination with dolls, I remember the doll house type home that we had been taken to see some years ago. The house we visited might have belonged to someone else, but I often wondered if an adult might have been brought there to play with her dolls, possibly to take time away from a permanent hospice or a long hospital stay. Some wealthy people are known to a bit eccentric and do all sorts of things. I hope H.C. is well wherever she may be.

My husband and I still drive by that house sometimes.

answered by Dolleyes | 08-10-2010 at 10:30 PM

Meddlesome
My my, such interest in a stranger. Certainly you all have lives that are just as interesting, don't you? Yet so much concern about her wealth, estate and what will happen upon her demise. I would be hiding too if people I didn't know from Adam were all up in my business.

answered by Blackie Ray | 08-11-2010 at 03:10 AM

Response to Blackie Ray
Blackie Ray: There is plenty to be fascinated with in Huguette Clark. She has led an interesting yet seemingly cloistered life. Most people won't have her millions but they would imagine what they might do with such inheritance. Yet Huguette seems to have lived a life of solitude. Is it being nosey to look back contextually about her life and that of her father and family's life? I don't think so. Its human nature.

Being in seclusion creates questions and mysteries that a reader would love to know about. She had a much older, domineering father. Then had a brief marriage and then spent her life with her mom and dolls. Her mom died and she lived very successfully under the radar. How much wealth does she really have? Is she a billionaire that forbes never tracked or is she real estate rich but cash and other investments poor as Bill theorized with the sale of Renoir in 2003 (when she was 97!!).

I think its the most bizarre, compelling story I have seen in a long, long time. There is little even in books about her father.....all very interesting.

answered by Guest | 08-11-2010 at 04:18 PM

Huguette Clark and NBC Today show
You all should check out the NBC Today show "An American Story" by Bob Dotson which aired around July 30th. It's all about Huguette Clark and titled "Empty Mansions". It has great pictures too.

answered by Guest | 08-12-2010 at 06:25 PM

bibliophile
I would love to write the book. And I will read to you (Huguette) when I visit you -- soon, I hope. Au revoir

answered by Guest | 08-13-2010 at 09:29 PM

hugette clark
Hugette Clark has no children, and of course then, no grand children. Her dolls are her children. She is said to have no immediate "family" heirs. It makes me laugh that people seem all
interested in her because of the mystery and money that surrounds her, as if they all thought they could befriend her and inherit her vast wealth or something crazy like that. She is simply a private person and with good cause .... just look at all the nosey and or greedy vultures this story created!?! Now she will probably go into deeper hiding because of all this poking around.
Leave her be!

answered by Guest | 08-14-2010 at 03:13 AM

Watch this report about Huguette
Another poster mentioned the Today Show report, but here's the link to the video of it.. It's interesting and up-to-date. Again, as a neighbor of Bellosguardo, I can assure you it's a mind-blowing estate...more grand than you can imagine. It's perfectly maintained...a timeless grand estate lording above the Pacific next to East Beach in Santa Barbara.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38469210/ns/today-today_people/38556465

answered by Guest | 08-15-2010 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Hugette Clark has no children, and of course then, no grand children. Her dolls are her children. She is said to have no immediate "family" heirs. It makes me laugh that people seem all
interested in her because of the mystery and money that surrounds her, as if they all thought they could befriend her and inherit her vast wealth or something crazy like that. She is simply a private person and with good cause .... just look at all the nosey and or greedy vultures this story created!?! Now she will probably go into deeper hiding because of all this poking around.
Leave her be!
I am sorry but I disagree completely. There are some weirdos that want to find her - yes. One I saw asked Huguette to contact him via his email address!!! LOL... like at 104 she surfs the net. I seriously doubt it.

However, I think people are fascinated on many levels with her story. She is probably one of the last connections to the gilded age of America. Sort of like the last survivor of the Titanic she is an heiress to the Copper King fortune. And she has been secluded. People wonder her thoughts. Others wonder - does she have handlers that are controlling her? Is she sick mentally sick? Some secluded people have psychological problems. Either way there is an heir of mystery and I for one don't want her money but would love to hear her story.

answered by Guest | 08-16-2010 at 02:40 PM

Some people want to be left alone. Why do you think she has been in seclusion for all these years?

answered by Guest | 08-19-2010 at 02:25 PM

Well as for me I'm interested in her life, she is a major piece of history, and yes I think she would even enjoy telling us about how it was living in that wonderful era. But of course the possibility of ever talking to her are platonic. Its sad how life is, People like her with their millions are the most secluded and lonely people, and people like me that don't have much, we are blessed and very rich with love, family and friends.

answered by Adriana Beltran | 08-19-2010 at 03:17 PM

Just let her live how she has done for many years! Why should she let family members near her? I certainly wouldn't! Just because somebody has a famous parent and money doesn't mean we need to interfere with her life. Let her live out her last days in peace with her dolls.

answered by Guest | 08-19-2010 at 06:45 PM

Great Read!
I've only recently read about Huguette Clark. I am taken in by her story. I would be lying if I said I was not curious to know where she is. But "in a NYC hospital", is good enough for me.

I find that reading about her and her family makes for a great book. It's like reading a classic novel, only it's all too real.

Hopefully she is writing in a journal about her life and her thoughts, so that one day we will be able to read about it. I bet she has an amazing story to tell, I just hope she tells it.

answered by Liz | 08-20-2010 at 03:16 AM

To the reader who talked about her salvation:
Yes, I do worry about her salvation and will pray for her. Having lived in isolation it is quite possible that no one has come to her door offering to introduce her to Jesus the Messiah. I pray that she and all the readers of this text will give their heart to Jesus, as "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men, by which we must be saved." Acts 4:12.
And "Jesus answered, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through Me." John 14:6.

answered by asha | 08-20-2010 at 06:31 AM

Wow! What a mystery on Huguette Clark. It saddens me to know that she is kept from human contact. She is losing herself and she must be quite alone. I hope someone finds her and she gets some kindness before she passes. I send her my deepest wishes and dreams. Thanks, Leslie Shelton.

answered by Guest | 08-20-2010 at 12:34 PM

FILM
Huguette Clarks estate? Dear mr. bill dedman please email me at whereishc@yahoo.com so that i can have your contact info that i can help you further your investigation and story....i am looking to write a book and i have a small film company i just started and would be most interested in documenting this great american story on film.

ps. im also looking for investors and sponsors for this documentary to travel to collect information from around the world on this family.

answered by BRIGHTSTAR | 08-20-2010 at 07:29 PM

Update on Huguette Clark
Here are all the links for our stories on Huguette Clark, the reclusive 104-year-old heiress with three empty mansions, and the men controlling her money: "The Clarks: an American story of wealth, scandal and mystery."

All our coverage is collected here:

http://clark.msnbc.com/

---

Part one: At 104, mysterious heiress is alone now
Relatives are kept away. Only her accountant and attorney visit. Who protects Huguette Clark, with 3 empty homes and no heirs?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38719231/ns/business-small_business/

---

Part two: Who is watching Huguette's millions?
Reclusive heiress's assets are sold by two advisers, one an accountant with a felony conviction. Another elderly client signed over his property to the same accountant and attorney.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38733524/ns/business-small_business/

---

The original slideshow and narrative:

http://www.clark.msnbc.com/

---

Notes and sources, with more detail, references and trivia:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35446674/ns/business/

---

A PDF file for easy printing, with large photos, is linked from this page:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35470011/ns/business/

---

Directly to the PDF file:
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/Sections/NEWS/clark_slideshow_print.pdf

---

The TODAY Show follow-up video:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38469210/ns/today-today_people/

---

A background piece at the Poynter Institute, a journalism school, about our use of the slideshow to tell the original story:
http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?aid=179216&id=31

Regards,
Bill Dedman
investigative reporter | msnbc.com, the most-visited news Web site, a joint venture of Microsoft and NBC
bill.dedman@msnbc.com | story archive: http://dedman.msnbc.com/

answered by Bill Dedman | 08-23-2010 at 05:07 AM

This story in so many ways can touch so many. Some how you see this person (I know I see her as this grand, wise book of life's story) what has she done, were has she been to. It seems to me the less we know the better this story is, it makes you think. Can you see yourself setting talking to her what a feeling. That's what I would like to hope it would be like. This story has so many ways it could go(yes this could be a wonderful movie,book, etc) I hope it would be full of wonderful stories. But you know what it could just be as simple as a women that lived for a long time and had money and wanted to be left alone. I really hope there is a happy ending to the story I hope it is like I dream it would be to be her or to have known her. Know matter how this story ends I would just like to say to her May God bless your soul !!!

answered by Guest | 08-23-2010 at 05:21 AM

comment