Bloom Box Power and Energy?

Did you watch 60 minutes? They introduced the bloom box, how do these work?
They said it could mean for the future of energy use.
I understand the Bloom Box is fairly new but I'm not finding any info on the web about them. They make energy, from what? where does the power come from? how does the Bloom Box work?

asked by Jess in Science | 1450 views | 02-22-2010 at 02:18 PM

I watched 60 minutes too. With the Bloom Box you'll generate your own electricity and it'll be wireless power. The idea is to one day replace the big power plants and transmission line grid, the way the laptop moved in on the desktop and cell phones supplanted landlines.

The Bloom Box is built by Bloom Energy, an 8-year-old company which has a reputation for being secretive. It has been raising money from investors for a groundbreaking fuel cell device.

The Bloom Box is a “power plant in a box”. The cost is estimated to be between $700,000 and $800,000. It is built of a pile of ceramic disks covered in green and black “inks”. Metal plates keep the disks apart and Methane and oxygen are fed in. When the box is heated to a temperature of 1,000 Celsius electricity is produced.

Since the Bloom Box it's so expensive right now, it is meant for businesses.

In the world of energy, the Holy Grail is a power source that's inexpensive and clean, with no emissions.

Bloom Energy founder K.R. Sridhar estimates that a Bloom Box for the residential market could be out in 5 to 10 years for under $3,000. That's a big improvement from the $800,000 box of today.

answered by Drew | 02-22-2010 at 02:40 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.