Buddhist Beliefs About God?

i have a debate and i have the western view. so basically i'm trying to prove that Buddhists believe in god or a god.
Do Buddhist people believe in God? Are they allowed to believe in him? I read that Buddhism is more a way of life rather then a religion so is it possible for someone to be both Christian and Buddhist for example?
What a Buddhist might think about god? What are the main Buddhist beliefs of where the universe came from?

asked by Sophia in Religion | 1536 views | 02-19-2010 at 08:56 PM

No, do not believe in God. There are several reasons for this. The Buddha, like modern sociologists and psychologists, believed that religious ideas and especially the god idea have their origin in fear.

At the time of the Buddha, the only people practicing the religion of the One God of the desert, were the Jews. Remember, it was still 500 years before Christ came into the world.

The Buddha never met a Jew... And because of this, he never said anything about the One God of the desert.
The Buddha generally discouraged questions about anything not involving how we produce suffering. This included questions about the origin of the universe.

The buddhist practices center around :
1. lead a moral life (here include: Five precepts)
2. To be mindful of every thought, speech and action (meditative awareness)
3. Cultivate wisdom (understanding the Law of Cause and Effect, 3 marks of existences, Dependent of Origination, Four Noble Truth etc)

Although Buddhism characterizes itself as not really having a "god" and being a "way of life" the reality is a little different. Buddhism takes some of its beliefs from Hinduism (Siddartha was a Hindu), and as a result has many of those mythologies incorporated into its beliefs.

answered by Catherine | 02-19-2010 at 09:11 PM

comment