Facts: Donner Party Facts?

The Donner Party was about a family who goes on an expedition and it's really cold. All of them suffered, they froze to death and they ate the people who have died. I don't really know about the story, but I do know the people died.
What are some interesting facts of the Donner Party?
I asked my mom and she said it is about a party :(

asked by Allison in Law & Ethics | 9232 views | 02-02-2010 at 12:42 PM

Nearly a century and a half after it happened, the story of the Donner Party remains one of the most riveting tragedies in U.S. history.

Some facts:

The Donner Party was a group of California -bound American emigrants caught up in the "westering fever" of the 1840s. After becoming snowbound in the Sierra Nevada in the winter of 18461847, some of them resorted to cannibalism.

The California-bound families were mostly from Illinois and Iowa, and most prominent among them were the two Donner families and the Reed family. In going West they took a little-used route after leaving Fort Bridger and were delayed. They suffered severely in crossing the salt flats W of Great Salt Lake, and dissensions and ill feelings in the party arose when they reached what is today Donner Lake in the Sierra Nevada.

The Donner Party records make it vividly clear that family members stuck together and helped one another at the expense of the others. A notorious example was the Breen family of nine, every one of whom (even two small children) survived through the luck of retaining their wagons and some pack animals much longer than the others, and through their considerable selfishness toward others.

Donner Lake, named for the party, is today a popular mountain resort near Truckee.

There is a monument to the party. Nearby Donner Pass has a U.S. weather observatory.

These are some facts I could find of the Donner Party.

answered by Tara | 02-02-2010 at 12:51 PM

holy crap thats sad!
Wow they ate each other that's weird!

answered by Miguel | 10-07-2010 at 09:52 PM

READ
The donner party ate each other to survive because very few happened to make it to California. and i can bet that you would've eaten people like they did if i was to survive. Because you will do crazy things to survive like if your in the woods and its in winter you would kill a bear then take out all of the guts and then sleep in it because the fur on those are the warmest things ever. Now before you start saying things think what you would do if you were in that problem to food no supplies just people dieing and thats the only food source. SO THINK BEFORE YOU JUDGE!

answered by Guest | 12-07-2010 at 04:10 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.