Black History Facts For Kids, Children?

I need to explain black history month to my class of 8 year old's. They are all children so I need an easy way to explain black history month without confusing them.
I don't want them to think about black history month as something only black kids celebrate.
Can you please let me know some facts about Black History month that kids will understand easily? Facts like for example, how did Black History Month originate?
Children in my class are a bit difficult, I need help.

asked by William in Holidays | 7134 views | 02-01-2010 at 06:04 PM

Black History Month celebrates contributions made by African Americans and people of African descent around the world. It was started by an African American man named Dr. Carter G. Woodson in 1926. Back then, it was called Negro History Week and was celebrated the second week of February. Now it is celebrated for the whole month of February in the United States and Canada, and the month of October in the United Kingdom.

Most black Americans trace their original roots to an area in western Africa. During the early 1500's, black slaves from western Africa were brought to European colonies in the Americas.

Facts:

1978 - The first stamp of the U.S. Postal Service's
The first stamp of the U.S. Postal Service's Black Heritage USA series honors Harriet Tubman, famed abolitionist and "conductor" on the Underground Railroad

1871 - 1st Black to Speak in US House of Representatives
Jefferson Long of Georgia became the first Black to make an official speech in the House of Representatives. He opposed leniency to former Confederates.

1865 - Ratification of the 13th Amendment
The 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which abolished slavery, was adopted by the 38th Congress. Ratification was completed December 6, 1865.

More facts for kids and children:

* Carter G Woodson created black History month.
* Africa was called the "Dark Continent”.
* Egypt is in Africa and has renowned affect on the entire western civilization.
* A majority of the slaves that were taken to America were from West Africa
* Slavery in North America was called “Peculiar Institution of Slavery”.

answered by Alanis | 02-01-2010 at 06:14 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.