Do Ladybugs Bite?

Do Ladybugs (the garden variety ladybug we all know and love) bite humans? My sister insists that she received a nasty bite from a ladybug. I think there's no way these sweet little bugs would ever bite. So is it true that they can bite you?

asked by Tron in Dogs | 12177 views | 07-31-2009 at 02:05 AM

Although an uncommon occurrence, multicolored Asian lady beetles have been reported to nibble, nip, or "bite" humans. These lady beetles are not aggressive toward humans, and they simply may be examining an unfamiliar substrate or they may be seeking moisture.
I was bitten by one when I was little and got a very minor rash.

answered by Johny | 07-31-2009 at 02:08 AM

Although most common species are unable to bite, some of the larger species, which tend to be found in tropical climates, as well as arts of Asia, are capable of biting on occasion. This generally occurs when the ladybugs are being held incorrectly, or when they are already injured. The most common response from a ladybug having been picked up is simply to run along the surface of whatever you put them on. So for example if you put one on your arm, it will usually simply run along your arm looking for a plant containing their prey species rather than biting you.

answered by Bailey | 07-31-2009 at 02:09 AM

I just walked out side, and being October, there are tons of ladybugs inside and on our house... I wanted to take a picture because they are covering a window and this really big orange one with no spots and it flew up to my arm, and bit it! It felt like I was being pricked by a needle. It hurt really bad! so in that case... Ladybugs DO bite.

answered by Guest | 10-21-2009 at 06:09 PM

I was going for a walk Sunday & felt a bite on my arm & yes it was a ladybug! That was the only time I've ever been bitten by a ladybug.

answered by Guest | 11-10-2009 at 01:30 PM

no lady bugs don't bite your just a bunch of retarts

answered by Guest | 11-17-2009 at 05:39 PM

I've been bitten!

answered by Guest | 01-08-2010 at 01:41 AM

they do bite!
I was laying in bed tonight and I wasn't alone, or at least I thought I was until I felt something like if someone put a knife tip up to your skin and pushed it just hard enough, but not to break the skin. I pulled the covers back, and I see that I had a red with black spots ladybug and I had my leg on top of it. So I think she was scared, and therefore, bite me!! So yes, they can bite us. I have a red rash on my leg and it feels if i had laid my leg on a lego and the sharp edges were digging into me still!

answered by Guest | 01-10-2010 at 02:53 AM

Hell yeah! They Bite!
I passed out drunk one night and woke up to a swarm of ladybugs that ate half of my fingertip! The doctors said it is rare, BUT IT DOES HAPPEN!

answered by Guest | 01-21-2010 at 02:12 AM

Ladybugs bite and it freakin hurts i've been bitten like 4 times!

answered by Guest | 05-18-2010 at 05:35 PM

stupid bugs
I seriously got bit less than twenty minutes ago... my grandma said i was crazy and they dont bite.. but this needle prick hole says different

answered by Guest | 09-13-2010 at 05:25 PM

just got bit
I just got bit, when I flicked the insect off me I saw it was a ladybug. I couldn't believe it, until I googled it lol. Yes they bite, felt like a needle.

answered by Guest | 07-27-2011 at 10:03 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.