Arlington National Cemetery: Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier Facts?

The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is a form of memorial to a nation's war dead, adopted by many countries after World War I.
Basically it's a tomb that represents all the people who died in war and got lost, the remains were never brought back to that person's country.
The Tomb of the Unknowns, a memorial to the American dead of World Wars I and II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War, is in Arlington National Cemetery.
What is the history of the Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier at the Arlington National Cemetery? Where can I find interesting facts about it?

asked by Oswald in History | 4704 views | 05-31-2010 at 06:15 PM

Almost every country across the world has a tomb of the unknown soldier. Facts about this tomb are derived from the history of this symbolic tomb, and once we understand what it signifies we can understand it better. The tomb of the unknown soldier is a national monument in many countries that is a commemoration to the deaths of the many unknown and unidentified soldiers that have died in wars over the years.

In America it is located at the Arlington National Cemetery, and it is guarded all day long throughout the year.

Here are some interesting tomb of the unknown soldier trivia facts that you may find fascinating.

* The Tomb of the Unknowns was established in 1921, when an unidentified U.S. soldier who died in World War I was exhumed from a cemetery in France and reburied at Arlington.
* The tomb inscription reads: "Here rests in honored glory an American soldier known but to God."
* The guard is supposed to take exactly 21 steps in his walk around the tomb of the unknown soldier. The reason for this is an allusion to the 21 gun salute, which happens to be the highest honor that can be bestowed on a military or foreign person.
* The tomb was initially unguarded, but its inappropriate use by picnickers prompted the 1926 establishment of a military guard during cemetery hours. Security at the tomb became round-the-clock in 1937.
* In 1956, President Dwight Eisenhower signed a bill to add unknowns from World War II and Korea to the memorial.

answered by Twin | 05-31-2010 at 06:19 PM

I want to post a message to all Canadian and United States members regarding the huge deficit that both countries are having. Do they all recognize that it is not our deficit, it is the Governments. This ridiculous war we are financing is the total cause of the large deficit in both countries, it is not the people. We are paying through the nose for a war that Bush decided about. We have been paying for ten years on a illegal war. When do they decide it is finished? When the countries are really bankrupt. We have to stand up and make them end this expensive war and let the people put their money where it belongs, for our own land.

answered by Guest | 01-08-2011 at 02:18 PM

comment