When Is Summer Solstice 2010 Date?

When is summer solstice in the US? What is the date? Is it the same day in the UK?
Also, what exactly is a solstice?
My mom always talk about it but I never pay much attention to it.
I guess it's like the first day of summer or something like that.

Is the summer solstice generally the hottest day of the year? And the winter solstice the coldest?
Please help me clear my doubts.

asked by Owen in Geography | 3709 views | 06-20-2010 at 03:47 PM

The Northern Hemisphere welcomes the Summer Solstice 2010 (first day of summer) on June 20 or June 21 2010 depending on your location.

The following is a list of exact dates and times for upcoming summer solstices:

June 21, 2010 at 7:23 am EDT
June 21, 2011 at 1:16 pm EDT
June 20, 2012 at 7:09 pm EDT
June 21, 2013 at 1:04 am EDT
June 21, 2014 at 6:51 am EDT
The First Day of Summer is Earlier in Western North America.

For the years 2009 and 2013, people in the Mountain and Pacific time zones and farther west greet the first day of summer a day earlier, on June 20. So when people ask what the first day of summer is, it not only depends on the year but on where you live.

The summer solstice is the longest day of summer (the day that we have the most hours of daylight and the least number of darkness). In the northern hemisphere, it happens when we are at aphelion (the point when we are the farthest away from the sun.)

A solstice happens twice a years ad is caused by the Earths tilt. A summer solstice is when the Earths tilt is most inclined towards the sun.
And a winter solstice is when the Earth's tilt is pointing away from the sun.

There is a summer solstice in June and a winter solstice on the opposite side of the sun on December.

The temperature depends on the weather, which in turn depends a only in part on solar radiation. There is a cumulative effect, so that in general the hottest/coldest days lag the solstices by several weeks.

answered by August | 06-20-2010 at 03:55 PM

The summer solstice arrives Monday morning at 7:29 EDT, marking the official start of summer in the Northern Hemisphere. It is the date with the most sunlight and the fewest minutes of darkness.
The summer solstice is like a giant celestial metronome, marking the arrival of the season and the passage of years with precise regularity. Humankind has celebrated and built monuments to this day across the globe and since time immemorial, from the Neolithic culture at Stonehenge, to the Mayans at Chichen Itza.

answered by Alan | 06-21-2010 at 04:51 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.