First Day of Winter Season 2010?

When is the first day of the 2010 winter season in the Northern Hemisphere?

I live in a region where you can actually feel the difference between the seasons, though we do get mostly rain all through the year permeated with breaks of proper seasonal weather in-between.

When does the winter season start? I know it is in the month of December and around Christmas, but what day?
Is there a connection between the first day of winter and the winter solstice?

asked by Braden in Weather | 2918 views | 12-01-2010 at 07:37 PM

The first day of winter is December 21, 2010. I know it may seem like it earlier because it's so cold already, but no, it is Dec. 21, 4 days before Christmas!

In the United States and the rest of the northern hemisphere, the first day of the winter season is the day of the year when the Sun is farthest south (on December 21st or 22nd). This day is known as the Winter Solstice.

The first day of the winter season is also the day the earth tilts on it's axis back in the opposite direction, the suns rays are most direct this day and it is the shortest day of the year.

During the wintertime, the sun angle is low in the sky even at local noon. This, combined with the shorter days causes more heat to escape the land than it absorbs, so the days become progressively cooler and cooler until around late January, then they start to creep back up again.

answered by Jillian | 12-01-2010 at 07:38 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.