Nebraska Road Conditions i80?

I was wondering if you could help me out a bit.

How often is I-80 impassible or completely shut down during winter storms? I know that every storm is different, but is it common for the road to close for long periods of time?

I will be traveling from Denver to Ohio the week of Christmas '09 and will be stopping in Lincoln overnight. I remember the last time I drove I-80 I noticed a lot of barricades on the entrance ramps, so that makes me wonder if they get used a lot.

Where to Find Nebraska Highway Road Condition Information?

asked by Jaky in Geography | 5649 views | 10-30-2009 at 04:30 PM

Right now after the winter storm dumped more than a foot in some areas of Nebraska's panhandle, road conditions to the west including I-80 remain poor and some sections of the interstate have still not re-opened. Closures of I-80 are being reported as far east as North Platte. However, the further east you go from the Wyoming border, the better conditions get and many roads are expected to be reopened by later today.

Most of the snow has left the region, but now high winds have made clearing virtually impossible. Gusts of 40mph have been reported, also creating blinding blizzard-like conditions in some areas. Several states roads in the southern panhandle also remain closed.

In neighboring Wyoming, every interstate highways 25 and 80 remain closed for the same reasons. Snow has stopped in the Denver area, although I-25 to the north towards Wyoming also remains closed in spots. Interstate 76 between Denver and Nebraska has been reopened.

answered by Mery | 10-30-2009 at 04:31 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.