Cheryl Maher & Kevin Garn Hot Tub?

Rep. Kevin Garn, 55, acknowledged his hot tub mistake immediately after the Legislature adjourned for the session. He said he paid the woman, Cheryl Maher, now 40, $150,000 to keep quiet about the episode when he unsuccessfully ran for Congress in 2002.

Kevin Garn may have violated election laws by not disclosing on federal forms that he paid a woman $150,000 in 2002 to keep quiet about hot tubing together with no clothes. Also, Cheryl Maher now says Garn lied about not having any contact in that tub.

What exactly happened between Cheryl Maher & Kevin Garn in the hot tub?

asked by Landon in Controversy | 2142 views | 03-12-2010 at 11:57 PM

The basic facts of the encounter are confirmed by Garn himself according to the Salt Lake Tribune. In 1983 when he was 28 years old and she was only 15, the two naughty friends jumped into a hot-tub together. She was an employee of his at the family business. Kevin Garnís wife presumably did not condone the secret liaison. For the record her name is Tanya Garn who is mother to their six children.

This is the photo of Tanya Garn.

Tanya Garn

Video: House Majority Leader Kevin Garn shocks Legislature with confession.

Maher was hesitant to give her own version of events when she spoke to City Weekly but said, "Let's just say this. He really loves to massage." She added that Garn had been her LDS Sunday School teacher years before the incident and was her employer at the time it occurred in 1985. "I was in love with him," she said.

After Garn, with his wife beside him, made his shocking admission Thursday, fellow lawmakers "gave him thunderous applause for his honesty and embraced him," according to the AP. Garn had been instrumental in passing a series of ethics bills through the legislature.

"While this payment felt like extortion, I also felt like I should take her word that the money would help her heal," he said. "She agreed to keep this 25-year-old incident confidential. Now that this issue is coming up again, it is apparent to me that this payment was also a mistake."

Because of what happened, it was reported that Maher had struggled with pills, alcohol and mental health issues.

answered by Moe | 03-13-2010 at 12:06 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.