City Of Laredo Flooding?

Is there a flooding situation in Mexico near the city of Laredo?
Right now my brother is visiting the City of Laredo in Mexico and the situation seems to be bad. I've heard about the Rio Grande flooding that could affect Laredo. There are four bridges and from what I heard 3 of them are closed and one might close down soon.

Can anyone confirm this information? Where can I find more info about the City Of Laredo flooding?

asked by Apple in Weather | 2428 views | 07-08-2010 at 09:27 PM

Residents along the Rio Grande River between Texas and Mexico have prepared for major flooding as the remains of Hurricane Alex forced the region’s dams to capacity and a “wall of water” is set to descend on border cities.

In Laredo, officials opened an emergency operations center after closing the International Bridge No. 1 to pedestrian and vehicular traffic. The span was shut at 11 a.m. so workers could remove a steel canopy that provides shade to pedestrians, to reduce weight on the structure.

The river is expected to crest at 39 feet after 1 a.m. Thursday, which threatens to inundate the underside of the bridge, about 37 feet high. As many as 12,000 pedestrians and 14,000 vehicles cross the bridge daily, according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Xochitl Mora Garcia from the City of Laredo’s Public Information Office said the city is bracing for a major flooding event.
“We’re looking at possibly 42 feet for the crest at Bridge 1, possibly higher for the Columbia bridge located northwest of the city."

answered by Bolt | 07-08-2010 at 09:27 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.