Total Lunar Eclipse December 2010 Time?

This year's winter solstice on December 21, 2010, the longest night of the year will have a little extra darkness added, as the full moon goes into total lunar eclipse, an event that hasn't happened on the solstice in 456 years.

The total eclipse of the moon will be visible throughout North and Central America, if the weather allows it.

This is the first time in about three years, actually, 34 months, that we've had a chance here in North America to see a total lunar eclipse.

What is the exact time of the December 2010 total lunar eclipse?

asked by Walker in Astronomy & Space | 5014 views | 12-18-2010 at 11:59 PM

These are the official times for the lunar eclipse. The Earth's shadow will begin to darken the moon at 1:33 a.m. Tuesday EST and the event will finish at 5:01 a.m., according to NASA. The winter solstice occurs at 6:38 p.m. Tuesday.

During a total lunar eclipse, the moon, the Earth, and the sun align so that the sun's rays are shielded from the moon. An eclipse of the moon can only take place if the moon is full, and only if the moon passes through some portion of Earth's shadow.

Interestingly, after this year, we'll have a long time to wait until we have a December full moon occur on the same date as the solstice: Dec. 21, 2094.

Weather permitting the total lunar eclipse will be visible everywhere in the continental United States, and at its darkest, the moon will be halfway up from the horizon in the south-southwest sky.

answered by Ernest | 12-18-2010 at 11:59 PM

This December 2010 eclipse will be visible for observers in North and South America and to a lesser extent Northern Europe and North Eastern Asia (mainly Japan and surrounding areas) only.
It's a unique opportunity to appreciate one of the most marvelous astronomical events.

answered by Guest | 12-19-2010 at 07:42 PM

I thought I would have to buy special glasses to watch the eclipse but I found out that unlike solar eclipses which require protective glasses, lunar eclipses are safe to watch with the naked eye.

answered by Guest | 12-19-2010 at 07:48 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.