Anencephaly Life Expectancy?

I read about a Nicholas Coke, a baby born with the Anencephaly condition.
The baby has no brain, what's his life expectancy? The brain is the most important organ in the body so no brain means that nothing works as it should.
What's the Life Expectancy of a baby with Anencephaly? How many years is the baby expected to live?

asked by Josh in Diseases & Conditions | 6063 views | 12-19-2009 at 01:36 AM

About 25% of babies with Anencephaly who live to the end of the pregnancy die during delivery; 50% have a life expectancy of between a few minutes and 1 day, 25% live up to 10 days.
The baby with Anencephaly that lived for one year is a strange case.
I found this quote about him:

Hes a miracle. Hes changed so many lives. his mother Sheena said at his first birthday party.
She even said that he attempts to show signs of emotion, Hes smiling. Hes laughed for the first time. It was wonderful to hear him laugh, said Sheena.
But it bears the question how long will dear Nicholas be able to win the battle, Its hard to know that Im going to be burying my son soon, but its wonderful to know hes made it a year. Sheena says through tears.

This kid is challenging is life expectancy every day.

answered by Tina | 12-19-2009 at 01:39 AM

The cause of Anencephaly is currently unknown and the life expectancy varies. Many doctors say there may be connections to diet and genetic factors.
If luck is on your side, you can live a whole life with the disease.

answered by robertosanchez | 09-22-2011 at 10:24 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.