Nikon Coolpix s203 Digital Camera?

I always wanted to get a digital camera for my mom. As part of the Ultimate Black Friday 2009 Deals, Target is offering the Nikon Coolpix s203 Digital Camera and I'm thinking about getting it for her now and then give it to her as a christmas present.
Is this camera any good? Can I read a review?

asked by Format in Cameras | 36345 views | 11-11-2009 at 06:58 PM

The Nikon Coolpix S203 Digital Camera is marked down from $139.99 to just $88. It's a great deal and you should get it.
The camera is good, my brother has one. He dropped it like 10 times and it always worked just perfect.

Nikon Coolpix s203 Digital Camera Technical Details

* Megapixels: 10.0 Megapixels
* Camera Features: Auto Scene Selector, Self Timer, Vibration Reduction Technology, D-Lighting, Best Shot Selector, Blink Detection, Motion Detection
* Display Size: 2.5 "
* Digital Zoom: 4.0 X
* Optical Zoom: 3.0 X
* Built-In Memory Storage Capacity: 44MB
* Operational Modes: Movie Mode, Scene Selection Modes, Auto Scene Mode, Blink Proof Mode, Close-Up, Smile Mode, High ISO
* Battery Life-Shots Per Charge: 180
* Screen Modes: 16
* Playback Modes: Zoom Playback, Movie With Sound, Thumbnail Display, Rotated Image Playback, Slide-Show, Sort by Date
* Still Shot Modes: Beach, Food, Panorama, Portrait, Snow/Sand, Fireworks, Back Light, Auto, Museum, Sports Photography, Landscape, Dusk/Dawn, Night Portrait, Party/Indoor
* Image Resolution: Up to 3648 x 2736
* Electronic Display Features: Low-Reflection Screen, Brightness Adjustment, Anti-Glare Coating, Color TFT LCD Screen
* Display Indicators: Battery Level, Aperture Setting, Shooting Mode, Number of Pictures Remaining, Shutter Speed, Zoom Indicator, "Date Not Set" Indicator, Image Size
* Visual Playback File Format: AVI Movie with Sound, JPEG
* Audio Playback File Format: AVI
* Image Editing Features: Image Cropping, Exposure Adjustment, Image Resizing, Image Rotation
* Photo Effects: Color Still, Panorama, Resize
* Video Modes: TV-Quality AVI Movie
* Aperture Range (Wide): f/3.1 - f/5.9
* Aperture Range (Telephoto): f/3.1 - f/5.9
* Focus Range (Normal Wide Angle): 2.0' to Infinity
* Focus Range (Normal Telephoto): 2.0' to Infinity
* Focus Range (Macro Wide Angle): 4.0" to Infinity
* Focus Range (Macro Telephoto): 2.0' to Infinity
* Image Sensor Type: CCD Sensor
* Image Sensor Size: 1/2.3"
* Shutter Speeds: Up to 1/1000 - 4 sec.
* Top Continuous Shooting Speed: 1.2 fps
* ISO Equivalent: 2000

answered by Claire | 11-11-2009 at 07:02 PM

I bought one, it's a really nice digital camera.
I always preferred sony cameras but I have no complaints with this one.

answered by Mark | 11-11-2009 at 07:03 PM

How about the battery?
Does this camera use AA or AAA batteries?

answered by Guest | 11-15-2009 at 11:00 PM

I read that uses rechargeable lithium ion battery which I prefer over AAs so I'm planning on getting this on BF too.

answered by Guest | 11-21-2009 at 01:46 AM

I am a professional photographer in San Diego. I own 10 Nikon DSLR cameras and ironically I asked for, and received, a Nikon s60 last year for Christmas. I love it. I like the ability to carry something in my pocket and point and shoot easily. It looks like the camera you are looking at is nice and Nikon is a great brand.

answered by astockglausner | 11-25-2009 at 03:31 AM

I am thinking of buying this camera too for $88. Do you what kind of memory card you can use with it? I've always had Canon Powershots and I have a Nikon D60 SLR which use normal memory cards.

Thanks!

answered by Guest | 11-27-2009 at 12:55 AM

Does this camera come with batteries and a charger? Also I was wondering, would this be too advanced for my 15 year old daughter?

answered by Guest | 11-27-2009 at 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Does this camera come with batteries and a charger? Also I was wondering, would this be too advanced for my 15 year old daughter?
It comes with a charger, not sure about the batteries.
It won't be too advanced for your 15 year old daughter, it has a low learning curve.

answered by ezequiel | 11-27-2009 at 04:14 PM

Looking at it
It comes with a Li-Ion rechargable and uses SD memory card. It is really small and light. just got it, so I can't speak to picture quality.

answered by oak | 11-27-2009 at 04:52 PM

I just bought one from Target. It comes with rechargeable batteries, a charger, but no memory card.

answered by Guest | 11-27-2009 at 05:46 PM

SD memory card
I just got this camera too. I previously had a sony cybershot, but the sandisk i had for that one isn't wide enough for the nikon. Does anyone know exactly what kind of SD we are supposed to get for the s203?

answered by Guest | 11-27-2009 at 06:58 PM

coolpix s 203
Hey I just purchased this deal at Target too. It is very ligtweight, and a very good value at $88! It takes a regular SD card. It comes with a Rechargeable Li-on battery and charger. The view monitor looks a bit grainy , but the pix come out great. There are a few different settings that can tweak the camera, which definitley do the job. The manual for the camera is online. It comes with 2 quick start booklets, one in English, the other in Spanish.
I currently own all Canon Digital cameras. I have 2 digital SLR;s and a PowerShot. This camera is much lighter than the Power Shot which I purchased last year on Black Friday, and the image quality is about the same. The view monitor is bigger on the Powershot but just as, if not more, grainy as the Coolpix. But once again, that is not the image quality. The pix on both look great.

The sale is only 2 days for this camera, and I would definitely picking it up for the holidays. I got 3. Two for gifts and one for me. Don't pass up this deal!!!

answered by Guest | 11-27-2009 at 08:34 PM

memory card
The memory cards for this camera are all SD Memory cards as follows:

SAN DISK 512MB, 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB
TOSHIBA 512MB, 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB
PANASONIC 512MB, 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB
LEXAR 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB

Hope this helps!!

answered by Guest | 11-27-2009 at 08:41 PM

Nikon Coolpix s203
I just bought this camera ($88).
This is my first venture into digital so I am learning a lot.
I was looking for a memory card and came across 2 different kinds: SD and SDHC...
Can anyone explain the difference? And, which one is more preferable for this particular camera?

Thanks in advance.

answered by Guest | 11-28-2009 at 06:20 PM

player
SD stands for secure digital. They are old generation cards for older devices. SD cards are maximum of 2gb capacity.
SDHC are next generation cards. SDHC stands for secure digital high capacity. SDHC cards can store more files than sd card as they are higher capacity cards. SDHC cards can go upto 32gb.

For s203 get 4gb sdhc. that is more than sufficient for me though. You can try 8gb sdhc too.

answered by player | 11-29-2009 at 09:20 AM

SD cards
I bought the camera too on Black Friday and am so far pleased but confused why my SD Impact 128mb card wont work in this Nikon? I read the previous posts and didnt see the 128 SD mentioned, so I am just curious if anyone has insight into why this card wont seem to register in the Nikon but it always worked in my Kodak camera (about 6 years old..)

answered by Guest | 11-30-2009 at 01:42 AM

128mb....serious?!?! they had 4gb SD cards at target for $10. (normally $20). your card should work. but its so small it wont hold many pictures and VERY little video. Its like trying to hook up your betamax player to your brand new HDTV.

answered by Guest | 12-01-2009 at 06:46 AM

It works with the $10 Polaroid (PNY) 8GB SDHC card I got from Frys Electronics on black friday deal.

answered by Guest | 12-03-2009 at 01:45 AM

disappointed
I'm a total Nikon girl and I have the D40x and plan to buy the D300 and the D90 at some point. However, I am VERY disappointed in my S203 which I got on the BF sale. the pics are more grainy than my cell phone camera pics. The video is grainy, the pics are grainy. I'm a professional photographer so I know my stuff. I'm not shooting in a dark room. I've tried several different types of lighting and they all turn out blurry, grainy, pics. The lens must be bad. I'll be taking it back and seeing about getting the camera replaced. I've seen a lot of bad reviews after I bought the camera about the lens.

answered by Guest | 12-16-2009 at 03:52 AM

:(
I bought my s203 on Black Friday for $88 as well. I have only used it about four times each time taking about 40 pictures. I don't use the effects or different scene selections because the effects are a bit difficult to get to between pictures, and I just haven't felt the need to stop using the automatic scene setting. The preview of the picture does appear a little grainy but when you download it to the computer it looks fine. Its easy to use and I love that. However, the last time I used the camera was last night, I turned it off like normal and placed it on my desk, this morning I grabbed the camera from the very same spot, plugged it into my computer like normal, turned it on like normal, downloaded the pictures like normal, deleted the pics like normal, turned it off like normal, and unplugged it like normal. I went to take a few pics about ten minutes later and the display was completely effed up and jumbled. I can really only try to explain what it looks like. The top half is grey and it flickers and the bottom half looks like a bar code but instead of black and white it's the color of whatever your pointing the camera at and grey. I definitely want my money back.

answered by Guest | 12-17-2009 at 08:24 AM

S203 or L20?
I also bought an S203 on Black Friday for my mother. But, I've found the L20 on sale at Sam's for $82. Which one is the better camera/buy?

answered by Guest | 12-22-2009 at 06:45 AM

I just got this camera for Christmas, and so far I like it a lot.
I just wish that it had come with a memory card.

answered by Guest | 12-26-2009 at 02:19 AM

Like it!
I purchased this camera a few weeks ago for an upcoming trip to the UK. I have a Canon PowerShot S1IS that is about five years old but is too bulky for me to carry around for 18 days. I wanted something small that could fit in my bag/pocket.

I've been using it everywhere (low light, sun light, Christmas lights, etc.) to get a feel for it and have taken about 500 shots so far. I have to say I was at first disappointed with about half the shots I took (I was thinking of returning it back to Target) so I had a friend look at the camera and tweak the settings to see if it was the camera or just the way I had it configured.

After turning 'distortion control' on and setting the ISO to 200 instead of 'auto,' I'm much happier with the quality of pictures. They do look a bit grainy/weird on the viewing screen but once they're uploaded they look great!

Anyhow, I hope this helps. I think for the price this is a good travel/recreational camera and will hopefully suit me well on my vacation.

answered by Guest | 12-26-2009 at 05:26 PM

i got one for christmas and it only holds 21 pictures, and i found out that it is just the factory memory card......any suggestions for a memory card that will hold a lot of pictures?

answered by Guest | 12-26-2009 at 10:08 PM

I got a 4G card ($15-$20) which will hold about 1200-1500 pictures.

answered by Guest | 12-27-2009 at 02:06 AM

Cards/Review
I got an 8g card at best buy last night for 25 dollars....

I am very disappointed in the camera. The pictures are very grainy and just really bad quality. I wanted something I could just throw in my purse instead of having to carry around my DSLR... I just can't get over the picture quality. Even after running photos through lightroom, they still look bad... I may just pack this one up and send it back! I would not recommend this camera.

answered by Guest | 12-27-2009 at 05:24 PM

Grainy pics...
Hi,

I have been having buyers remorse for purchasing this camera on the BF sale rather than a Sony I was looking at...but as I was reading the comments from users here, I came across one that said they changed some settings and now the pics look great! I tried it and they do look a whole lot better now!

He said to put the ISO to 200 (instead of Auto) and Distortion Control ON.

It worked, so far, for my camera!!

YAY! Thank you for whoever you are that posted that!
Angel

answered by Guest | 12-30-2009 at 12:32 AM

b&w
Is it just me or does the S203 not have a black & white setting?

answered by Guest | 01-01-2010 at 06:37 PM

My coworker and I are looking her new camera now. She's not sure if she likes it or not so we are trying to play around with the settings to see if it changes. So far the photos have been grainy and blown out. I read above that two people mentioned they changed their ISO to 200 and turned Distortion Control on, so we were going to try to do that.

But when we went into the menu we can't access the ISO settings! We saw them earlier and I could have sworn they were in the SCENE Menu, but when we go in there we can only change the Image Mode. If you hit the right arrow it takes you right into that setting. We can't scroll up or anything.

Can anyone help us? I'm sure its a simple solution but I can't figure it out.

answered by Guest | 01-02-2010 at 08:52 PM

Nikon Coolpix s203 Digital Camera? MEMORY!!
So everyone is apparently in need of memory help.

The guy with the sony camera who said his SD is too narrow. Sony uses "Memory Stik" cards. It's Sony's way of making everything proprietary to keep as much money in the family. You'll need to go out and purchase an SD, SDHC, mini SD (with adaptor), or micro SD (again, with adaptor) card for the camera. I would personally just do the SD or SDHC and stay away from the latter two. They come in class 2, 4, and 6. The class 6 is better and usually has a higher data transfer rate. Definitely like to have as high a transfer rate as possible.

I got an 8Gb SDHC class six for $5.00.

answered by Guest | 01-04-2010 at 02:20 PM

iso settings
the iso settings can be changed in the "shooting menu" which you can get to by hitting menu while in camera mode. its 4th from the bottom "iso sensitivity". i'm gonna try to adjust that too. i have had TONS of grainy/blurry pics. and been very disappointed with this camera so far. i love the size and SOME pics turn out ok, but not most.

answered by jgk78 | 01-04-2010 at 06:27 PM

I received the Nikon Coolpix S203 for christmas and love it! I had to play with the settings a little and they do show up grainy on the camera review but not when you upload them onto the computer! Great deal!!

answered by Guest | 01-05-2010 at 01:26 AM

I'm having problems with low light pics. They look very bad, almost like drawings.... I will try the ISO 200 thing, but so far I'm thinking on returning it.

Any advise?

answered by Guest | 01-05-2010 at 06:59 AM

yes it does...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Is it just me or does the S203 not have a black & white setting?
yes the camera does have a black and white setting.. you go to menu then to options.. i got this camera for xmas at first i was in love.. i've had it sense i take it every were i go.. yesterday i had noticed there was a dent at the top right and at the top next to the zoom its split pretty disappointing.. im taking it back today hopefully they'll give me money back so i don't have to raise hell!! lol buy im sticking to samsung for know..

answered by Guest | 01-10-2010 at 08:50 PM

Nikon Camera
I have had one of these cameras. And yes it is an excellent camera, with a lot of features. But I many people I know tell me it is a bad camera, And it has lens Errors, that cost as much as the camera to fix. And theirs did......and so did mine.

answered by Guest | 02-03-2010 at 10:03 PM

I bought it
I just bought it yesterday it is awesome its thin a perfect size love the smile choice its so cool

answered by Guest | 02-09-2010 at 06:13 AM

Got this as a present from my sister. very very disappointed for a 10MP camera, tried all the usual settings and the ISO 200, still the image is poor. my 8MP Canon 870 is much much better.

answered by Guest | 02-11-2010 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezequiel View Post
It comes with a charger, not sure about the batteries.
It won't be too advanced for your 15 year old daughter, it has a low learning curve.
It won't be to hard my 11 year old daughter has one and she figured it out real fast

answered by Guest | 02-16-2010 at 11:02 PM

just purchased
i just picked up this gem on clearance for 80 bucks. well after the black friday deals had passed. it's great! i am replacing my $350 olympus stylus 710, and the quality does not even compare. What a steal!

answered by Guest | 03-13-2010 at 02:07 AM

I have this camera and it works REALLY well. i would never choose another kind!

answered by Guest | 05-03-2010 at 10:05 PM

I got one for Christmas. REALLY nice. But if anyone else has one- i dropped it on the concrete, and when i turn it on, it focuses in and out randomly then says Lens Error!! Any suggestions? sorry if i completely just changed the subject but it's driving me mad!!

answered by Guest | 07-19-2010 at 09:53 PM

screen like a bar code
OK, gave this camera ( also BF Target deal) to my kid and after taking pictures during a rainstorm the camera now opens to a wiggly bar code screen. I assume it got wet and I have tried everything to dry it out from silica to dehumidify in the fridge with a plastic bag. I live in Vegas so it's hot and dry and the camera still not operating. I was also caught in the rainstorm too, and took photos with my Cannon sureshot and heck, my camera is working great. All in all, the camera was good when it worked, but I think it will cost me more than 88 bucks to fix it. Sad!

answered by Guest | 07-29-2010 at 03:15 PM

DON'T waste your money! I bought one for my daughter for Christmas 7 months ago. It's already been sent back once for repairs and only worked 4 weeks before it failed again (at the airport leaving on vacation-no camera)!
It gets errors and needs to be sent back (Priority mail, insured) it cost me $15 to send it the first time. Avoid this camera.

answered by Sandy | 08-05-2010 at 04:40 PM

R. U serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
It gets errors and needs to be sent back (Priority mail, insured) it cost me $15 to send it the first time. Avoid this camera.
This camera has always worked for me. Maybe u got it wet, it isn't water proof. This is definitely an awesome camera.

answered by Guest | 08-26-2011 at 08:11 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.