Hammacher Schlemmer Digital Photo Converter Review?

Woot is offering the Hammacher Schlemmer Digital Photo Converter at $40 + $5 S&H

This device converts old 35mm slides and film negatives into digital images, allowing you to easily preserve your memories without having to rely on a conversion service.

The converter is something I really need and want to try. Is there a review of the product?

asked by Umma in Cameras | 5687 views | 10-31-2009 at 01:55 PM

I haven't tried this personally yet, but I have been researching methods recently, and this seems to be the best option. I plan on ordering the Photograph to Digital Picture Converter.

Description: This device quickly and easily converts photographs into digital images, allowing you to confidently preserve your memories for generations to come. Photographs are placed in a tray that slides into the converter, and the touch of a button instantly records the image to your PC via the included USB cable. Faster and easier than a conventional scanner, the converter instantly captures the whole image using a 5MP CMOS sensor, the same found in digital cameras. With up to 1,800 dpi resolution, 10 bits per color channel, and automatic exposure control and color balance, clear, accurate digital images are assured. Requires USB 2.0 and Windows XP/Vista (32-bit). Includes software that allows you to edit, crop, and resize your pictures. Accepts 3 1/2" x 5", 4" x 6", and 5" x 7" photographs. 6 3/4" H x 10 1/2" W x 8 3/4" D. (1 lb.)

I can't find a review but it looks like a good product.

answered by Neil | 10-31-2009 at 02:00 PM

This unit is the similar to a unit that we reviewed for converting slides and negatives to digital. It didn't work well, so I wouldn't expect miracles from the photo converter unit either.

Regarding Umma question on the film "scanner": please see our review at http://www.pixmonix.com/reviews/vupoint-film-scanner.php

Note that the same basic unit is packaged and marketed by many different companies, including National Geographic, Hammacher, and many others. They are all the same basic camera sensor indie a unit with a light source. The results are poor.

answered by Steve | 11-01-2009 at 07:21 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.