How To Cook a Turkey: Simple Instructions?

Thanksgiving is a special day and family and friends are coming to my house to celebrate. I have to cook a Turkey but I don't know how to do it, and I'm not so good in the kitchen so I would like to find easy instructions to cook a good one. I hope it will be as good as my grandmother used to do it but she spends a lot of time cooking it, so I don't want anything so complicated. Hope you can help me.

asked by alison in Cooking & Recipes | 1513 views | 11-22-2012 at 07:19 PM

Well, you have different ways of cooking a turkey but I always go for this one. It's really easy and I'm sure it will be so good that your family and friends will be impressed.

For 24 servings you need:

-1 (18 pound) whole turkey
-1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
-salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
-1 1/2 quarts turkey stock
-8 cups prepared stuffing

Directions:

1- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
2- You have to remove the turkey neck and giblets, then rinse the turkey, and make sure you pat it dry with paper towels. Now place the turkey, breast side up, on a rack in the roasting pan. What you have to do next is to loosely fill the body cavity with stuffing. Rub the skin with the softened butter, and season with salt and pepper. Position an aluminum foil tent over the turkey.
3- Next step, place your nice turkey in the oven, and pour 2 cups turkey stock into the bottom of the roasting pan. Make sure you baste all over every 30 minutes with the juices on the bottom of the pan. Whenever you see that the drippings evaporate, add stock to moisten them, about 1 to 2 cups at a time. Remove aluminum foil after 2 and a half hours. You need to roast it until a meat thermometer inserted in the meaty part of the thigh reads 180 degrees F (80 degrees C), for about 4 hours.
4- Transfer the turkey to a large serving platter, and let it stand for at least 20 to 30 minutes before carving.

This is a really easy way to cook your turkey and will be as good as the one your family used to do it.

answered by Melanie | 11-23-2012 at 09:58 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.