Are There Real Vampires?

This is a weird question but i was reading twilight and i got curious if vampires are real. Are there real vampires in the US?

asked by Amelie in Mythology & Folklore | 16101 views | 09-04-2009 at 02:18 AM

No. "Vampires", as written about in popular romantic and horror fiction, are mythological beings known primarily for their reliance on human blood (and occasionally animal blood) for sustenance. While not real in a sense as actually existing as depicted, there are a few caveats that require mentioning before dismissing vampire phenomena off as myth. First is the medical condition porphyria, which may cause a combination of anemia and psychological disorders leading to the belief that one must drink blood to survive. Secondly, the existence of psychologically impaired individuals organizing into "vampire cults", such as the so-called Kentucky Vampire Clan, makes the existence of persons who attack other humans and drink their blood a real phenomena, though an exceedingly rare one both pathologically and criminally speaking. Vampires are mythological or folkloric beings that are renowned for subsisting on human blood or life force, but in some cases may prey on animals. Though vampires have widely varying characteristics, they are described for the most part as reanimated corpses who feed by draining and consuming the blood of living beings. Almost all vampire lore comes from the southeastern region of Europe, particularly the Balkans and Greece, with the term being popularized in the early 18th century.[1] Folkloric vampires were depicted as remnants who visited loved ones and caused mischief or deaths in the neighborhoods they inhabited when they were living. They wore shrouds, did not bear fangs and were often described as bloated and of ruddy or darkened countenance, markedly different from today's vampire. The charismatic and sophisticated vampire of modern fiction was created in 1819 with the publication of The Vampyre (1819) by John Polidori. The story was highly successful and the most influential vampire work of the early 19th century.[2] However it is the 1897 novel Dracula which is best remembered as the quintessential vampire novel and provided many traits which have been incorporated into modern vampire legend. The success of this book spawned a distinctive vampire genre, still popular in the 21st century with books, films such as Dracula and television shows such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Today, the vampire is generally held as a fictitious entity, with little actual belief in the creature surviving, although superstition in vampiric creatures such as the chupacabra still persists in some cultures. Despite this, there are many people who claim to have seen, known or even be vampires, but without evidence such claims can be dismissed as immature fantasy.

answered by Jessie | 09-04-2009 at 02:19 AM

Yes. The vampires of fictional books and horror movies are mythical, but there is also a real life subculture of vampires.

They aren't undead or immortal, and, most importantly, most modern vampires don't attack people to drink blood. The mythical creature arose from superstitions and folklore, but there are human beings who see themselves as vampires.

There are two types, sanguine vampires (the ones that drink blood, usually from consenting donors) and psychic vampires (who feed on energy.)

answered by SIC | 09-04-2009 at 02:20 AM

The two replies before me were excellent and give you the information I'm sure you were looking for, Amelie. But I'd like to make another point on this topic, and that is, vampires are an essential part of the human world whether they are literally "real" or not. Your enjoyment of "Twilight" is just one example of how fascinated people are with the idea of beings like this. There are lots of reasons for that, but my point is, I think human beings simply have to have an outlet for certain thoughts and emotions (the "darker" ones, if you know what I mean), so they love to read and think about vampires. The world just wouldn't be the same without them.

--Diana Laurence, author of "How to Catch and Keep a Vampire: A Step-by-Step Guide to Loving the Bad and the Beautiful"

answered by Diana Laurence | 09-04-2009 at 05:01 PM

****-tastic
bahahaha! to the second 'answer'. What a complete and total douche of an answer. The people who "really view themselves as vampires" are lonely morons and there is no such thing as "feeding off energy". That's just a plain and simple, STUPID belief.

answered by Guest | 10-08-2009 at 06:49 PM

Yes
Yes. I am a vampire. i was born a vampire.

answered by aqua | 10-13-2009 at 07:13 PM

Vampires aren't technically real. but there are infact psychic vampires, don't doubt it.

answered by Guest | 11-24-2009 at 05:12 PM

maybe
I'm not sure if there is, but I was sleeping, and when i woke up, i fealt really weird, like punching someone. I ran to school, about a mile, in 3 minutes... I am in 6th grade.. It freaked me out, and I was turning really pale, and when i get really mad, my eyes turn bright orange. BUT I am not sure if i am a vampire, or if there is such thing.. just telling you.

answered by anonymus person lol | 12-22-2009 at 12:49 AM

are you sure
Of course people would say they're not real because they are scared. If they have seen or not seen them what proof do they have that they are not real. i think it depends on your personal judgment if you believe then who knows what might happen.

So for those of you that 'claim" vampires aren't real what's your proof? Personally i believe that they did once exist and still do.

SO THERE-Guest

answered by Guest | 12-30-2009 at 05:45 AM

GRRRRR
OK YOU PEOPLE DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT VAMPIRES!!!!!! WELL EXCEPT A FEW OF THEM. ESPECIALLY THE ONE POSTED ON JAN. 9. LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THEM. I AM ONE AND HALF MY GRADE IS ONE. ILL LIST THEIR POWERS AND WHAT THEY R PART OF-me-visions,and speed and half wolf, 1-brain and vision, 2-vision, 3-speed, 4-strength and half werewolf, 5-visions and half wolf,6-nothing as far as i know of. oh by the way i'm part of the clique posted on jan. 9.

FYI YOU CANT GET US ONLY IF U ASK A CERTAIN VAMP WHO'S CRAZY!!!!!!

answered by potato101 | 01-10-2010 at 02:04 AM

Are there real vampires
Yes, vampires are real.
But many who claim to be real Vampires are lonely, misunderstood misfits who WISH that they were indeed vampires.
All the nonsense that is on the web is silly and just that, nonsense.
However, the truth is out there but hidden.
But I do know of one REAL Vampire out there...and yes I know HE is real!
See for yourself and you make the decision to believe or not.

answered by Guest | 01-21-2010 at 09:00 AM

The Vampire Lizzy Christ
Yes, vampires are real.
Look for The Vampire Lizzy Christ...
he can be found on myspace.
Yes I know HE is real!
Don't believe everyone else!

answered by Guest | 01-25-2010 at 04:54 AM

vampire
People usually think there are some or people say their are one but there is no vampire. Sometimes people say they have "fangs"but its not "fangs" did you ever see a vampire probably not. Sometimes they have a extra pair of teeth. Nobody is normal everybody is different in a way or another. If you run faster or see farther or whatever does it mean you're a vampire no sometimes people get a boost of energy or you gust seen a bit farther but their are no vampires its just a old myth that people tried to scare people. That's the myth to make people scared its only a myth so why be scared. If a vampire was real I'm not saying they are but if they were don't you think allot of people would already be vampires? Nobody would be scared of them but every body is scared so prove that their are vampires? Nobody would be scared of them but every body is scared so prove that they are real. If there are some tell me and i will prove you wrong.

answered by Daniel | 01-30-2010 at 12:08 AM

vampires
I do believe in vampires because one day I was running up a hill and I was running so fast that no one could catch me and it is not a lie so believe or they will come after you watch your back little ones.

answered by Guest | 02-22-2010 at 10:47 PM

I believe that a long time ago, there used to be vampires walking on the earth, but I doubt there is/are any today.

answered by Guest | 03-04-2010 at 02:43 AM

what am i?
i don't know the answer to that question but i do need an answer, i have sharp things behind my two front teeth and sometimes i do feel like drinking blood, i also sometimes talk really funny kind of like German. i have dreams and the next day they come true, some times they don't, i get very angry and when i am i get really strong. one more thing sometimes i can run really fast, but i can't control it.

answered by Guest | 04-03-2010 at 09:10 PM

i have the same life as you
i was born a vampire and i am one too

answered by Guest | 04-06-2010 at 02:58 AM

No, vampires do not exist. People who call themselves vampires are either lying to get attention or crazy. The vast majority fall into the former category. No matter how much anyone wants to be a vampire, and no matter how much they try to change the "rules" so they can call themselves "real" vampires (feeding off of psychic energy? Right.) without having to prove anything, nobody is a real vampire. If a self-styled vampire tries to tell you anything different, you now know not to believe them. They live in their own fantasy world. If they call you closed-minded, just remember that open-mindedness has nothing to do with believing fantastic claims with zero supporting evidence.

answered by C'mon | 04-11-2010 at 10:57 PM

vampires
i wanted to c the opinions of people to see if vampires are real or not. I dont know i feel they r real its like a 75/25. I dont think vampires feed of energy or whatever that means,otherwise they would not be vampires in my opinion.but i do think that they r real. Dracula was a real being who did feed off humans. i don't know the whole story but it is true. i think there r people born vampires,and people who want to be vampires,almost like posers.vampires to me r like a stereotype and you have your posers and people that r not posers. People think I'm a vampire people i have silver gray eyes.that does not make me a vampire, but its cool that people ask me if i wear contacts all the time. NO I'M NOT A VAMPIRE COURSE WHAT I JUST WROTE MADE IT SOUND LIKE A TRYING TO BE A VAMPIRE. but I'm just kinda talking about the same things now ant i got my point down,and i hope you reply on m opinion.

~Autumn~

answered by XXBlueFoundationXX | 04-20-2010 at 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
People usually think there are some or people say their are one but there is no vampire. Sometimes people say they have "fangs"but its not "fangs" did you ever see a vampire probably not. Sometimes they have a extra pair of teeth. Nobody is normal everybody is different in a way or another. If you run faster or see farther or whatever does it mean you're a vampire no sometimes people get a boost of energy or you gust seen a bit farther but their are no vampires its just a old myth that people tried to scare people. That's the myth to make people scared its only a myth so why be scared. If a vampire was real I'm not saying they are but if they were don't you think allot of people would already be vampires? Nobody would be scared of them but every body is scared so prove that their are vampires? Nobody would be scared of them but every body is scared so prove that they are real. If there are some tell me and i will prove you wrong.
that's what a lot of people think.but you have no proof, nor does any one else so everyone will just have to keep guessing.my eyes change color, from silver to a really bright green.that does not make me a vampire either, i can see farther and run fast but that does not make me a vampire,just healthy.no one has proof so we cant say if they r real or not i guess.

answered by Guest | 04-20-2010 at 01:20 AM

i would have to say that SIC is right. There is no real vampire Like Dracula or Louis (Anne Rice ) but there are people who believe that they are vampires. Some of them do take in blood and some that are hurt by the sun. Yet there are not any that can die if they do not take in blood.

answered by Leo Moon | 04-20-2010 at 01:52 PM

Vampires
Hey there are real vampires in the world but they are the Northern State. LoL

answered by Guest | 05-13-2010 at 05:11 PM

Vampire want to know
I wanted to know if i am a vampire I cant tell but I have always felt different a lot different then most people can someone tell me the symptoms. I hate no knowing and i always felt i was addicted to something alone the lines of vampires just was never sure. Please email me i like to know asap

acting94@yahoo.com

thank you

answered by Fabio | 07-31-2010 at 04:24 PM

Vampires are very real, but they are nothing like the twilight ones! The do not sparkle in the sun, they burn! Also they can control the elements but only one depending on how the persons personality is on which one they control!

answered by LuckyAce | 09-26-2010 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua View Post
Yes. I am a vampire. i was born a vampire.
Prove you are one! I will know if you are lying!

answered by LuckyAce | 09-26-2010 at 09:22 AM

But we cant really say whether vampires are real or not because we are not the only inhabitants of earth and so much things remain undiscovered ...but some people really do think that they are vampires and that's stupid.

answered by anne | 09-26-2010 at 03:27 PM

I can't believe people actually believe in vampires.
Yes, it's nice to watch vampire related stuff but they are only for entertainment.
ENTERTAINMENT.
Vampires were invented probably to indirectly talk about someone or something bad.
VAMPIRES ARE NOT REAL.
They are myths. and we all know what the word "myth" means.
NOT REAL.

answered by Sick of vampire sht | 11-05-2010 at 03:57 PM

The first vampire my have been born but i think that vampires after that are made. And psychic vampire are not really vampires, their just people that can draw on peoples emotions. if you really want to know the answers ask a demon, if you believe in them.

answered by Guest 2 | 12-27-2010 at 05:56 AM

We come from monkeys.
Hey, you, yes, the 12-40 year old with the sick fantasy about humans that drink blood. Have you ever gotten punched in the mouth and swallowed any amount of blood and thrown it up? Yes, that what happens when you drink blood, you throw it up. Ever hear of "Mad Cow disease"?

Yes, this is what happens when mammals eat too much of it's own species, just ask the f****** farmers who decided to take remaining cow parts, post butchering, and recycle them back into the cow's food. Speaking within the realms of science, evolution pretty much has proven that we come from a primate form and nothing has ever been dug up that would support this theory of vampirism, and or something that resembles such a creature....well, there are still leeches!.

It's truly sad that movies have ruined the minds of so many, entertaining nonetheless, but you should really focus on SCHOOL, HOMEWORK, not getting impregnated at 15, staying away from drugs and exercising. Just remember, at one point in your lifetime, you'll look back in disgust of your thoughts and opinions of vampirism, and how stupid it would be to live past your inevitable time of death. Would you really want to see everyone you know die over and over again? You're a monkey, vampire lover, a hairless, below average intelligence monkey.

answered by Monkey | 12-30-2010 at 01:24 AM

SHUT UP ALL OF YOU!
We have no proof if they are real or not, if you beleive they are real so be it! If you believe they are not get over it! you can't change their minds! people have their opinions! i don't want to be reading all this crap about "your a retard for believing in them." Gosh!

answered by Cross-Slip | 01-02-2011 at 06:15 AM

What is the difference between a vampire and a demon then?

answered by Guest | 01-26-2011 at 03:15 AM

yes!
Vampires are real, they just can't let humans know they exist. I have been studying them for quite some time. There are large groups located in Cancun, Kansas city, and Olso. There are smaller groups located in Madrid, Beijing, Kubal, Sydney, and Jakarta. They like to stay away from each other because of territorial issues. they feed on what they consider useless humans and large animals. If you find out to much about them they turn you into a vampire by cutting your wrist and inserting their venom They're fangs only appear when there feeding. Vampires are real don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

answered by Dr. | 02-02-2011 at 02:12 AM

the truth
I don't think that is the truth because there are real vampires, I've seen one in Germany that's real and none believes me, they just think that I'm f****** crazy so yeah they are real!

answered by Guest melie | 02-11-2011 at 06:24 PM

i love vampires after i saw twilight
Hello everyone.
I love vampires and wish there were some vampires like Edward Cullen in Twilight. If vampires are real I'm dying to meet them and want them in my life.

Because I've fallen in love with them.
I love them.
I pray to god that vampires are still in this world, and I'm waiting for them.

answered by saima | 02-24-2011 at 07:21 PM

yeahh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
Vampires are real don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
You're right, but they only change when a vampire blood is in a human system.

answered by Guest | 03-07-2011 at 04:11 PM

Vampires, don't sparkle in the sun, or burn up in to ash, they just get weaker.

answered by Guest | 03-07-2011 at 04:12 PM

Yes OK, I'm not disclaiming anyone else's posts, but there are vampires. NOT twilight vampires or Dracula vampires and they aren't vampires in the since of the word. There is this disease, cannot really remember the name of it, sorry, but it is where you don't have enough of something in your blood and it makes you sensitive to light and gives you the craving of blood, because you don't have that something and you need it. Sorry for being a little vague, I know it just doesn't prove my note, but it's real. I found it online where doctors post their medical journals.

answered by Guest | 06-12-2011 at 01:33 AM

Well in my view fangs are given to vampires, right, but only snake have deadly fangs so it's a creature related to Satan. That's evil, portrays of fangs on vampires are evil. Well they prey on human, Satan possessed and wants to lead them to hell, they are night creatures.

answered by GuestAs in v | 07-04-2011 at 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelie View Post
This is a weird question but i was reading twilight and i got curious if vampires are real. Are there real vampires in the US?
No, vampires aren't real, it's just a myth to have fun and scare people in Halloween. They are made up, just like Santa.

answered by yvette | 07-09-2011 at 02:41 AM

How do we know for sure? The creatures could be lurking in the dark right now, or maybe we are best friends with one but we don't know it. Vampires in the world?A mystery that needs to be solved. Everybody that says they aren't real please let me see evidence. Because you can't prove anything. There just may be vampires.

answered by Shelby | 07-10-2011 at 06:32 AM

If you think that vampires are just like Edward Cullen from Twilight you are very wrong.
If there are real vampires those guys are crazy people who like to sleep in coffins and drink animal blood. I assure you that it's going to be really unpleasant to meet one of them.

answered by Guest | 08-15-2011 at 11:31 PM

Help hAdxv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
bahahaha! to the second 'answer'. What a complete and total douche of an answer. The people who "really view themselves as vampires" are lonely morons and there is no such thing as "feeding off energy". That's just a plain and simple, STUPID belief.
Hell yeah! Hahahaha screw vampires.
Just because of Twilight all kids are starting to believe vampires are real and they exist somewhere. But it's just plain dumb to think such a thing is possible.

answered by Guest | 11-22-2011 at 01:25 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.