Rodolfo Garmendia?

Who is Rodolfo Garmendia?

asked by Zeeta in 4x4 Cars & Trucks | 3460 views | 08-11-2009 at 08:27 PM

A well known South Florida businessman was killed Monday evening in a hit and run after pulling off onto the side a busy highway.

The accident occurred around 9:20 p.m. when Rodolfo Garmendia, 36, got out of his BMW which was pulled to the side of road on the Dolphin Expressway near the exit to State Road 826. Investigators said the driver of the Ford F-350 veered off the road, struck Garmendia and then kept on going.

Garmendia had helped his family run Hurst Awning and Hurricane Shutters for more than 17 years

Adam Lubkin, a family friend, said has was talking to Garmendia just before he was killed.

"I was on the phone with Rudy about 9:16 p.m.," said Lubkin, "He told me he had a flat tire and wanted to get out and check the tire."

Lubkin said he remembers when Garmendia left college after getting a call from his mother who wanted him to come back to South Florida to help out in the family business after Hurricane Andrew hit.

"Knowing Rudy, (he felt) it was probably his civic duty and his community duty to come back and help out South Florida. He was one of the most community oriented people I have ever met in my entire life. I've never met a guy with as many friends," said Lubkin.

Florida Highway Patrol spokesman Lt. Pat Santangelo said the Ford F-350 was found about an hour after the accident in a Doral neighborhood.

So far, no charges have been filed.

answered by Julie | 08-11-2009 at 08:28 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.