Palm Pre Touch Screen Not Working: Fix?

I have a Palm Pre and my touch screen don't seem to work anyone knows what might be wrong?

asked by Guest in Mobile Phones | 44759 views | 04-06-2010 at 01:23 AM

Sorry to hear you're having problems.

There are only 2 possibilities here. First try a soft reset, pushing the reset button. If that does not do it the next step would be to do a hard reset.

Similar thing happened to me on second day. My Palm Pre touch screen will not work, it was just no responding.

To fix the problem I called the PALM support number listed on the accordion-fold brochure. He finally said my battery was loose and to put a small piece of paper along the top edge of the battery to keep the metal contacts on the opposite end pressed tight. I used a small piece of an index card folded in half and it seemed to work.

If this is not the fix to your palm Pre problem please call palm tech support hot line at 877-426-3777. they can help you test your device to check whether it's broken or not.

if it's broken then you have to submit it for repair. the repair charges is free since your device is still within the 1yr warranty.

you can also opt to consult sprint for replacement since they have changed their warranty policy from 30 days to 1 year.

if you want to know more, try running the diagnostic tests. here's how to do it:

1) launch the "Device Info" app, then scroll to the bottom and click on the "More Info" button.
2) now click on the "Preferences" app menu in the top left corner and choose "Interactive Tests..."
3) select the "Touch sensors" test

Hope you can fix your problem. Good luck.

answered by Adrian | 04-06-2010 at 01:37 AM

1) launch the "Device Info" app, then scroll to the bottom and click on the "More Info" button.
2) now click on the "Preferences" app menu in the top left corner and choose "Interactive Tests..."
3) select the "Touch sensors" test

Hope you can fix your problem. Good luck.[/QUOTE]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a quick question.....If the touch screen is not working, how can they launch the Device Info app? I would really like to know because I am having the same problem.

answered by Guest | 04-06-2010 at 11:27 PM

Did you read the message?
The original poster said the touchscreen wasn't responding, and both comments require the use of the touchscreen.

I have the same problem, and neither soft nor hard resets are helping. The phone is also in Airplane Mode, and so I can't do a remote reset. The phone is bricked.

answered by Guest | 07-07-2010 at 01:26 PM

Thank You
Your response was extremely helpful. I took off the cover and moved my battery around a bit and it the screen began working again. I did not even need to insert a piece of paper in the back at this point. I guess the metal contacts were not connecting as needed. This after several days of resets, removing and replacing the battery, having the screen work for several hours and then stop. I was at wits end. Now that this is resolved, I actually recall bringing my phone in 7-8 months ago, because either the phone would not turn on or the screen was frozen (I don't remember which occasion this was) and the tech people said that the problem was that the battery was not connecting in the back.

Thanks for the tip and the reminder. After I got it working, I did the recommended screen diagnostic and there were no issues.

answered by Guest | 07-28-2010 at 04:32 PM

My touchscreen stops responding after about ten seconds of use and the gesture screen isn't responding at all. I've tried both hard and soft resets, and am trying the paper backing the battery thing right now.

If anybody knows anything about this, help would be really nice.

answered by Guest | 11-17-2010 at 11:19 PM

touch screen not responding
I have had the same problem for the past three days, and it is frustrating. I have tried to take out the battery several times, and nothing has worked. I think that in this case, you need to get a replacement. I found that you can plug your pre into a computer, wait for it to ask what you'd like to do, and press simultaneously the orange key, sym key and the "u" key and it will go into USB mode so you can save texts and pictures, etc. Hope this helps.

answered by Guest | 12-06-2010 at 03:03 AM

My phone has the same problem, and I found that for some reason pulling the battery plugging in the phone and then turning on would allow me to use the touchscreen. My friends and I think maybe the power distribution from the battery is screwy. Now as soon as I unplugged the phone it would stop working again but i tried doing the hard reset then a soft reset when the touch screen was working again. Since a soft reset requires the use of the touchscreen to perform. I'm also using a piece of paper with the battery but it seems to be working now so lets hope it continues.

answered by Guest | 12-18-2010 at 05:23 PM

My fix
My fix is to just take the back on the phone in one palm, and the front in the other, and then squeeze the crap out of the phone.

Usually the touch screen will work for a few minutes minimum afterwards.

answered by Guest | 12-18-2010 at 10:53 PM

Thank you! This worked for me on the Pixi too (subbing white key for orange). I almost lost all my pictures since Sprint said I couldn't get them out without the touch screen!

answered by Guest | 12-22-2010 at 02:10 AM

Thanks a bunch for the orange key, sym and your message. Saved 2 years of pics! priceless, thanks a bunch.

answered by Guest | 01-05-2011 at 12:23 AM

Ok I need to do a hard reset and I have tried all the above mentioned things and nothing has worked. I even did the palm profile erase data and that didn't work either. I need to reset this phone before I send it back. HELP? I have no use of touch screen (its smashed) and the buttons seem to have messed up too. Is there anything I can do besides taking a hammer to it? I got my insurance replacement but I want my info and stuff off this phone before I send it back. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME! THANKS IN ADVANCE!

answered by Sheree | 01-25-2011 at 07:07 PM

Touchscreen
Yea.. I just got a replacement phone for another issue and had the touch screen quit.

It is the same fix as an earlier post.

cram something so that the battery is forced against the connectors. Fixes it perfectly.

Apparently the touch screen is powered by separate connectors on the battery.

That explains why it works on the charger

Hope this helps.

answered by Guest | 02-05-2011 at 11:54 PM

Been having trouble with my screen as well. As a poster above mentioned, plugging it in with a charging cable seems to be my fix. Hard resets and paper wedges didn't seem to help me, but as soon as I plugged it in, it started working and kept working even after unplugging.

answered by Guest | 02-28-2011 at 07:57 PM

I have found a way to fix the touchscreen if it is unresponsive. I tried this when my palm pixi plus' touchscreen went funny and pressed everywhere when I wasn't touching it, then just stopped working completely. Turn your phone on and make sure the screen stays on, if you have an old tube TV it can be any TV as long as its not a flat screen or plasma. Put the phone against the display of the TV then turn off the TV, move the phone around the screen getting every bit of static the TV gives off, you should be able to hear the static hitting the phone, do this 2-3 times for the touchscreen to fully work, it worked the first time for me but that's because I gave it a lot of static. So I hope this helps, it did for me.

answered by leonrawrr | 09-02-2011 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Just a quick question.....If the touch screen is not working, how can they launch the Device Info app? I would really like to know because I am having the same problem.
I thought of that!!
I managed to get the touchscreen working. get an old TV, as you turn it off (the tube TV) it gives off some static, run your phone, with the non working touchscreen facing the TV up close getting the static, and it should work!! it did with me.

answered by leonrawrr | 09-02-2011 at 11:14 AM

Thanks so much for the instructions, it was easy and it solved my problems.
Saved tons of videos and pics. THANK YOU!

answered by Jessica | 09-29-2011 at 03:12 PM

Old Computer Geek
I had lots of grief with this... It stopped working in the middle of a convention. I think something corrupted the software.

Do the webOS doctor thing version webos-internals.org/wiki/Webos_Doctor_Versions
Follow this guy's instructions when you do it... (copied from another blog)

Quote:
you need to start the process in recovery mode.
Remove battery and disconnect phone from PC.
Start osDoctor and follow prompts until it tells you to connect phone.
with battery removed, hold up-volume on phone and plug it in to pc
when the big question mark shows up, continue to hold down the button and insert the battery
when the USB symbol appears on the phone, release the button.
it will verify charge level before continuing, so that could take up to 15 minutes before it will continue.
And that will take care of it.
Now this is critical. When the phone starts up, it will try to log into your profile. DON'T DO IT. Create a NEW profile. (The old one has a corrupted backup.)
And now you have a new phone. (Minor pain, you have to reset up your email etc.. ) USB stuff is still there.

answered by CrazyGene | 10-28-2011 at 08:12 PM

Quote:
I have had the same problem for the past three days, and it is frustrating. I have tried to take out the battery several times, and nothing has worked. I think that in this case, you need to get a replacement. I found that you can plug your pre into a computer, wait for it to ask what you'd like to do, and press simultaneously the orange key, sym key and the "u" key and it will go into USB mode so you can save texts and pictures, etc. Hope this helps.
WORKED! Thank you so much! I was able to access all my pictures on the phone. On the Palm Pre, use the "square gray" button (no orange key). Thanks again!! :-D

answered by Guest | 11-01-2011 at 05:12 PM

Hi - just found your answer and am so grateful - will try the simultaneous key press to see if i can get it into USB mode.
one thing: I've always tried to save texts but my only solution was to "copy all", which actually only copied chunks at a time. Just wondering if you had another way to access the actual text file, if there is one?

Thanks again,
Leslie

answered by Leslie | 11-13-2011 at 12:18 AM

:(
My palm Pre is on the gestures bar tutorial in the setup but the bottom part of the screen and the gestures bar don't work.

answered by Guest | 11-15-2011 at 06:56 PM

phone problem
Quote:
I have a Palm Pre and my touch screen don't seem to work anyone knows what might be wrong?
My phone's touch part has frozen and I would like to know how I can unfreeze it? Any help please?

answered by Guest | 11-18-2011 at 10:29 PM

Thank you so much! you just save me from a lot of trouble!....I called HP/Palm and they said i need a replacement....I just try the TV thing and it work perfectly!

answered by Guest | 11-25-2011 at 02:24 AM

TV static worked for me
Yay! It worked for me also. Cutting off the TV wasn't generating enough static for me. What worked for me is when I had the phone against the TV and I turned it on. I felt a little shock too! Thanks for posting this.

answered by Guest | 11-30-2011 at 03:28 AM

My touch screen locked for a few days and received a text from brother. It started working again, weird. At least it's fixed now, try this if your touch screen is not working.

answered by Guest | 12-08-2011 at 08:29 PM

The TV static thing actually worked! Whoever posted that is a genius! I did have to try it a few times but it worked.

answered by Guest | 12-15-2011 at 07:26 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.