23 8 11?

What is 23 8 11?
I've seen an advertisement around the Bay Area with the # 23 and a picture of an electric plug next to it with the number 8/11 (as though it were a date) below it all.
Do you have any idea what is it about?

asked by Henry in Advertising & Marketing | 7817 views | 08-09-2009 at 01:25 AM

If you’ve visited a Clear Channel radio station in the last few days, you probably were greeted by a vague ad showing the picture of an electric outlet, and the message 23 8-11.

Pretty odd, huh?

If you click on the ad, you’re taken to the Chevrolet web site. After waiting about 3 minutes for the site to load, there is nothing on the web site. The logical subject of the ad is the Chevrolet Volt. I’ll guess that 8-11 is August 11, the date for some announcement.

23 is either a reference to the price ($23k) or the number of miles the Volt will go before you need to call a tow truck.

Plugin Electric cars sound like a great idea if you’re Ed Begley – you are not constrained by cost, you live in a place that never gets cold, and you are the only one in the city plugging your car into the electric grid.

But let more than a few people start driving plugin electrics, and you’ll start seeing serious problems with shortages in electric power generation and distribution. Shortages in power will increase the costs for electricity, even for those people who don’t buy a plug-in electric car.

We’re just on the edge of seeing the unintended consequences of plugin electric cars, especially if we remain in idle about building new nuclear power plants.

answered by Jimmy | 08-09-2009 at 01:26 AM

I saw those ads too! They are so confusing and I don't know what is being advertised.

answered by Coo | 08-09-2009 at 01:27 AM

I saw it too and I was searching for the meaning. It is an ad apparently.

answered by Guest | 08-09-2009 at 10:34 PM

you could have just stated that its a chevy volt ad, and not tried to influence anyone to your right opinions

answered by Guest | 08-10-2009 at 03:55 AM

The idea is that you plug the electric car in at night when there is excess capacity and the surplus energy is being wasted anyway. And secondly there are heaters for the battery pack so it could be used in cold climates.

answered by Guest | 08-10-2009 at 06:22 AM

Plugin to heat the battery pack on a battery only car? Cmon now...

I drive a 2000 Jetta tdi (turbo direct injection diesel)

I get 50MPG, it starts within a second at sub zero temperatures, and has been a very fun car to drive

Electric sucks

answered by Guest | 08-10-2009 at 11:23 PM

Jimmy, I couldn't agree more.
I agree 100% with your assessment Jimmy.

Why the United States has dragged its feet on nuclear power is beyond me, other than politicians pandering to ignorant, uninformed laypeople who need to be properly educated on nuclear power.

You also have to consider the environmental impact of all these highly toxic batteries that power these cars. What happens in 10 years, in 20 years, when the batteries can no longer hold a charge? How will this pollution be dealt with?

People like the thought of electric cars because its easy for them, its simple. They don't have to know about the required lithium and nickel processing that is required for the electric batteries in the first place.

I wonder if so-called environmentalists will change their feelings in 10 to 20 years when the first electric car battery wasteyards are featured on some Dateline special? Probably not... historically "environmentalists" are even less willing than politicians to admit wrongs.

answered by Guest | 08-11-2009 at 04:13 AM

Thanks for bragging about your 50 mpg jetta. The volt will achieve twice that mileage. And the dude preaching about strain on the grid... wow. You *DEFINITELY* do not know what you are talking about. Come back after you have consulted with an electrical engineer and a city planner. yeesh.

answered by Guest | 08-11-2009 at 08:08 AM

The Volt will acheive twice that? Really? Just like the Prius gets 60MPG, right? Actual Prius owners achieve average about 43MPG.

Also, my 50MPG will last me 300K miles, maybe more. I have seen 1974 Rabbit diesels still running and passing inspection, at 50MPG. I have seen 98 Jetta TDI's with 320K miles on the original engine, still pulling 50mpg not burning oil.

Over half of the diesel cars sold in Europe are diesel vehicles. The Volkwagen Polo / Lupo get about 65~75MPG average.

And the electrical grid in America being good? Are you that ignorant? Our electrical system in America is decades behind what it could be, and CAN NOT handle the strain of even 2% of our population using electrically powered cars. Plus, I drive more than 100 miles one way sometimes.

My jetta got me from Rhode Island to Canada and back into the states before needing to fuel up. 800 MILES on 1 TANK of DIESEL. About 50MPG and my tank is 15.5 gallons.

Please, show me a hybrid / electric that will last 300,000 miles and do that.

answered by Guest | 08-11-2009 at 03:43 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.