Should a Resume Be One Page?

I'm looking for a new job so I'm designing my new resume in Word. I plan to send it by email to websites where companies search for prospective employees. And also to send it by mail to some of the companies I'll like to work for.
I really want a new job so I would like to make a successful resume. All my data is in two pages right now but I guess I can stretch things a little and make it one page.
Is it better to design my resume in just one page?

asked by Walter in Design | 4484 views | 07-19-2009 at 10:58 PM

I think a short, concise and on message is always best, because reading resumes is a miserable job. Try it sometime and your mind will melt to mush in minutes.
So if you have to decide between one page or two, I say one page.
Most resumes get a first time reading that runs about 30-40 seconds, with 90% of that time spent on the first page.

One page for every ten years of work experience, and no more than two pages if things don't fit correctly.

answered by George | 07-19-2009 at 11:01 PM

Several years back, two page resumes were the norm. Times have changed. For anyone getting into the workforce, or for someone dusting off an existing resume, one page is the current standard length for positions below the executive level.

Many job hunters are told that their experience needs to be fit onto a single page.

The answer should be "what works best." Whether a resume should be one or two pages should be determined on a case-by-case basis.

answered by Andrew | 07-19-2009 at 11:03 PM

My rule of thumb is to include all the really important information on my resume, even if it goes to more than one page. However, all of the information I really want to be sure the employer looks at goes on the first page, with the most important information at the top of the page. I tend to leave out the "career objective" section, as I think it's rather outdated and not terribly important in the hiring decision. (Um, my career objective is to Get This Job, which is why I am sending the resume in the first place. Duh!) I would rather have the employer see my professional qualifications than some rather obvious statement about working in the field which I spent multiple extra years in college to become qualified for.

On the other hand, in the field I work in, one often submits a CV, or "Curriculum Vitae," which is a fairly exhaustive professional experience and training record and takes as many pages as it takes. In fact, the thicker it is, the more impressive.

answered by Guest | 07-16-2010 at 04:41 AM

comment