Centralia Mine Fire: Is Centralia PA Haunted?

Centralia's story is interesting. Through the 1980's and 1990's there was a constant mine fire in the city that slowly tore their town apart from above and physically from below. Nearly all of the homes, businesses and buildings were torn down, and families left Centralia behind and the Zip Code of 17927 was revoked. Centralia was disappearing and it became haunted.

I heard that the mine fire in Centralia, PA was devastating and that the town ended up abandoned due to the coal fires below the surface. Centralia is now just a "ghost town" and some say it is haunted. I am wondering if anyone has been there or heard spooky stories about haunted Centralia. Does anybody believe it to be haunted?

asked by Big in Paranormal Phenomena | 5618 views | 02-05-2010 at 05:35 PM

Centralia isn't really haunted. It's called a "ghost" town because nobody lives there. In other words, Centralia is abandoned, due to the dangerous gases from the burning mine fires below the ground.

The ruins of Centralia Pennsylvania no longer exists on some maps. The story began sometime in 1962 along the outskirts of town when trash was burned in the pit of an abandoned strip mine, which connected to a coal vein running near the surface. The burning trash caught the exposed vein of coal on fire.

Ghost towns exist here and there, but are rarely known for having real ghosts. They're just deserted towns, sometimes kept intact for historical record.
There are so ghost stories about Centralia but I don't believe them.

answered by Natalie | 02-05-2010 at 05:39 PM

ghost town
the town is not a ghost town! some idiot decided to light the ground on fire where a bunch of coal was and burned pretty much everything down. i live 3 minutes from there. there is nothing matter with this town besides the fact that its deserted. the only reason people even decided to leave the town was because they were offered better deals on their housing. people still live there, and they live in peace. i don't know why everyone makes such a big deal out of this. maybe instead of making up stories something should have been done to save some of the buildings that were their. our country spends billions of dollars on nonsense, but didn't do barley anything to save a town full of people. how nice.

answered by Guest | 03-28-2010 at 06:14 PM

Oh kay , number one.. scientists cannot PROVE for a FACT that the burning of the trash caused the fire. and if its not a ghost town how do people experience the things they do. and why are the mines still burning? that takes a lot of freaking coal! i think a lot of the people posting responses need to look into this a little bit more. "ghost town" doesn't mean just abandoned.. GHOST is in there for a reason. yes the town is taken off most maps and the highway is blocked off at a certain point, but something supernatural lays behind those barriers. the constant burning that nothing can put out is more then a little weird not to mention the whispers and abandoned homes that are left... the footsteps and other odd occurrences.. the people who tell those stories aren't stupid. if you are christian you should believe in ghost AKA fallen angels and demons.. the bible tells you so. so that shouldn't be an excuse for not believing..

answered by Guest | 10-30-2010 at 02:20 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.