CDOT Road Conditions 285?

I'm going from Los Angeles to Denver next week, firt time I go there.
Colorado State Patrol said people driving too fast for slippery conditions most likely caused a multi-car mess and they want to remind everyone to start preparing for winter driving.
Several accidents happened on I-70 on Floyd Hill.

What the road conditions on 285?

asked by Blake in Geography | 8424 views | 10-29-2009 at 02:08 PM

It's not unusual for winter accidents to involve multiple vehicles causing traffic to get backed-up for hours.

The Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) has plenty of valuable information on getting around in Colorado: up-to-date details on road conditions, road and lane closures, construction advisories, travel alerts and advisories, and more.
You'll find about 285 there.

The CDOT also has a site called www.cotrip.org/ that has information on travel information, traffic signs, weather and weather stations, and a lot more.

www.dot.state.co.us

answered by William | 10-29-2009 at 02:09 PM

border to border
I am currently in Alamosa and there are at least a couple of inches blowing and the passes are very icy and snow packed. I considered taking 285 home today, but even as an experienced winter/mountain driver, the challenge of 285 is that it is a two lane road with long stretches of wind-blown snow. If you land in the ditch you are a long way from assistance other than your cell and honestly I have sprint and verizon and there are long stretches where neither works. Use the interstates. The closures are well publicized, usually closures are only long enough to clear snow or accidents (and often can be expected early evening to the middle of the night), and all trucks have to have chains. If you do not have studded snow tires you could run into stressful driving. Bottom line, with the reduction in road sand/tx due to budget issues, I would drive a four wheel drive or get studded snows or stay home in the winter in this state.

If you get to Grand Junction check to see what the likelihood of Vail Pass being closed is, as the closer you get to the pass, the harder it is to get inexpensive motel rooms and you could spend a cold few hours in the car. Bring extra blankets, perhaps a couple of candles (warmth), water, wool socks and a hat if you have them, and flares if you have them; otherwise leave on your emergency blinkers if you get stuck/in the ditch. I have never had much luck finding all night coffee shops in Vail.

answered by Guest | 10-29-2009 at 04:50 PM

comment