Fluid dynamics Fish Tank?

Interesting fish tank.
How does the water stay up in there? It usually falls to the lowest path of least resistance.
I would think gravity would have the water flow down from the pipes and overflow the tanks.
Is it pumped into the pipeline? Or is it just physics that make it work like fluid dynamics?
At least the fish have a huge place to swim in...

asked by FrozenWolf in Articles | 55721 views | 01-05-2008 at 04:26 PM

Poor fish, the design is really cool but I see the fish don't have much space to move, they can only swim on a restricted area.

answered by Smoke | 01-05-2008 at 05:12 PM

Really cool. The fish are fine inside, they've got plenty of space. In the pictures you just see parts of the whole structure, which is big enough for the fish to swim freely.

answered by monster_ | 01-06-2008 at 05:11 AM

I prefer a normal fish tank, although this is cool, I don't think it looks that nice.
A regular fish tank is nicer to the eyes.

answered by max | 01-06-2008 at 05:37 AM

It looks shopped, who would build something like this in the first place?
I don't know, I don't believe anything I see on the Internet anymore.

answered by nueuan | 01-06-2008 at 05:51 AM

It's not shopped, how can you even say such a thing?
Don't you see the pictures are real? And who would try to shop something like that, it just doesn't make any sense.

answered by ezequiel | 01-06-2008 at 07:01 AM

It's fluid dynamics, we were talking about this in my school yesterday. A very interesting subject indeed. If you don't know what it is, I recommend the wikipedia article on fluid dynamics.

answered by cohen | 01-06-2008 at 07:14 AM

I think this is actually fluid statics, but I'm not sure.

answered by Osiris | 01-06-2008 at 07:18 AM

A really nice idea. I want one of those. If one day I become a rich person, I'm definitely building one of those inside of my house.

answered by ghosttown | 01-06-2008 at 07:21 AM

Fascinating, I've never seen anything like it. It's such a bright idea, the guy who made it is clearly a genius.

answered by adam_ | 01-06-2008 at 07:24 AM

How many fish are there? The fish tank looks reduced.
The design might be clever but the space is small.

answered by Midsummer | 01-06-2008 at 07:26 AM

A fishtank that goes around the room is not a new idea, it's been done before many times. But still cool.

answered by Mimz | 01-06-2008 at 07:30 AM

shopped? what a dufus
SO OBVIOUSLY NOT SHOPPED.
This guy built the whole thing from scratch.

answered by NotTheDude | 01-06-2008 at 07:47 AM

How it works
The water in the elevated waterway is held up by atmospheric pressure on the water surfaces of the fish tanks at either end. This requires that the waterway be sealed against atmospheric pressure. In one photo, it shows some air in the waterway. This has to be at much less than atmospheric pressure. This arrangement will not work if the waterway is more then about 33 feet above the fish tank (Torricelli's limit).

answered by EdgarS777 | 01-06-2008 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
The water in the elevated waterway is held up by atmospheric pressure on the water surfaces of the fish tanks at either end. This requires that the waterway be sealed against atmospheric pressure. In one photo, it shows some air in the waterway. This has to be at much less than atmospheric pressure. This arrangement will not work if the waterway is more then about 33 feet above the fish tank (Torricelli's limit).
Thanks, you explanation helped me understand it better.

answered by ezequiel | 01-06-2008 at 06:34 PM

comment