Easter Island Eclipse July 2010?

Easter Island (with the famous large stone heads) is considered the best place in the South Pacific to witness the next solar eclipse, which will happen this month, July 2010.
Where is the Easter Island located in the world map?
The eclipse will happen almost at the exact same time as another epic event - the World Cup finals between the Netherlands and Spain. I heard this is the first Easter Island eclipse since like a thousand years ago, it's going to be a unique event, I wish I could be there to see it.

asked by Autumn in Astronomy & Space | 3887 views | 07-09-2010 at 11:49 PM

The Chilean Easter Island of only 60 square miles is expecting an estimated 4,000 visitors in July 2010 for the Eclipse.

The Easter Island is the best place to witness the next Eclipse, it will be the alignment of the Sun, Earth, and Moon, and will occur for a fleeting four minutes and 41 seconds in July 2010.
The total solar eclipse will begin in French Polynesia, before the Moon's umbra, or shadow, cloaks Easter Island and its mysterious giant statues.

The location if perfect for an eclipse because Easter Island is so mysterious with its huge creepy statues.

Here's the location of the Easter Island in the world map.

Easter Island location map

The eclipse will happen 14 minutes prior to kickoff of the world cup final, and the phenomenon will end 37 minutes after regulation time is over.

The Easter Island government is taking precautions to preserve their heritage sites, some of which are estimated to be about 3,000 years old. It is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

answered by Preston | 07-09-2010 at 11:51 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.