Elizabeth Smart: Story and Case of Elizabeth Smart?

Elizabeth Smart was abducted and kidnapped when she was a little girl. I think she was like 14 at the time of the kidnapping.
Can you explain to me the Elizabeth Smart story? How is the case going. Her abductors were a couple of crazy people and religious wackos that covered her in robes and pretended she was married with one of the captors.
What's the status of Elizabeth Smart's case today? Are they both in jail? For how long?
Please help me understand Elizabeth's story and case.

asked by Jackie in Law & Ethics | 3443 views | 02-03-2010 at 12:11 AM

Elizabeth Smart's story:

The Elizabeth Smart kidnapping occurred on June 5, 2002, when Elizabeth was abducted from her Salt Lake City, Utah, bedroom at the age of 14 years. She was found nine months later on March 12, 2003, in Sandy, Utah, about 18 miles from her home, in the company of Brian David Mitchell and Wanda Ileen Barzee, who were indicted for her kidnapping but ruled unfit to stand trial.

Brian David Mitchell, 55, and his wife, Wanda Eileen Barzee, 63, are accused of kidnapping Elizabeth Smart on June 5, 2002, from her Federal Heights home. They were arrested in March 2003 while walking in Sandy with the girl.

Wanda Barzee apologized to Elizabeth Smart and pleaded guilty to federal charges.
She said she was "humbled as I realize how much Elizabeth Smart has been victimized and the role that I played in it."

Her case is not over yet. Brian David Mitchell's trial is still in progress.

answered by Shonda | 02-03-2010 at 12:17 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.