Mary Karr Lit Review?

Lit is the last book of Mary Karr, with this book she winds up a trilogy of memoirs that includes The Liar’s Club, about her small-town Texas childhood, and Cherry, about her adolescence.
I want to buy Mary Karr's latest book Lit but first I'd like to read some reviews.
Have people read it? What is the general consensus, is it a good book?

asked by Sure in Books & Writing | 2908 views | 11-03-2009 at 11:01 PM

Mary Karr is an awesome writer and "Lit" just became one of my top 50 books of all time. The first 100+ pages are harrowing as Ms. Karr describes her long self-destructive slide into alcoholism (just like her parents). These pages are hard to take, just like watching a car wreck in slow motion. However her brutal honesty and her gallows humor about her road to redemption and sobriety save this memoir from being another AA recovery tale. She writes of her self-centered, off-center mother and a childhood from hell with the ring of truth. The heart of the memoir is family : grieving for her father (who, she perceived to win "the better parent prize" because he didn't stand over her with a butcher knife), figuring out her relationship with her now sober but still off the wall mother, and exploring the past with her big sister. This book is not for everyone because Ms. Karr's early life was messy and uncomfortable. But she writes like she is having a conversation with the reader and she is a master story-teller.

answered by Penny | 11-03-2009 at 11:03 PM

I read The Liar's Club and Cherry several years ago and loved them both. When I saw that Mary Karr was continuing to tell her story with a new memoir, I just had to read it. Karr writes with an honesty that I only wish I could match, and reminds us all of what it means to be human, to make mistakes, and to blame yourself for things you can't change.

Her newest memoir, Lit, focuses mainly on her drinking and how she started drinking in the first place. It describes her struggle to become a published writer. Her mother was an alcoholic and her childhood was poor and unstable. Lit explores her late teens and college years, her early career, and her marriage, as well as motherhood, sisterhood, and being a daughter. Karr deals with the guilt she experienced as a result of not caring for her father as much as she would have liked when he was living out his last years. She deals with the disgust she feels toward her mother, and also the determination she felt to not become like her mother. If anything, this book proves that no matter how much you try to change where you came from, you are always the same person deep down inside.

If you enjoyed The Liar's Club and Cherry, you will enjoy Lit. I would recommend reading them first, but it's not necessary to enjoy this book. I had read them so long ago that I couldn't remember much from them anyway.

answered by Tyler | 11-03-2009 at 11:03 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.