Guillain-Barre Syndrome and Flu Shot?

I am NOT trying to walk down the paranoia road here but I'm scare about the flu shot and the side effects.

In 1976, vaccination with the flu shot was associated with getting Guillain-Barré Syndrome.

Guillain-Barré (pronounced ghee-YAN bah-RAY) syndrome is a disease in which the body damages its own nerve cells (outside of the brain and spinal cord), resulting in muscle weakness and sometimes paralysis. GBS can last for weeks to months.

Apparently (from what I have heard) the government has given total immunity from prosecution to all makers of the current H1N1 vaccinations. I have also heard those vaccinations have had very limited trails and were RUSHED into production.

So it looks like to me there is a real possibility for increased risk of Guillain-Barré Syndrome in people who get the H1N1 vaccination.

So what do you thing about this, should I get the flu shot?

asked by Che in Drugs & Medicine | 3470 views | 10-17-2009 at 03:19 AM

A flu shot appears to increase the relative risk of Guillain-Barré syndrome by 45%, according to researchers.
But because the occurrence of the syndrome is so rare, the increased relative risk does not appear to translate into increased hospital admissions.

What is Guillain-Barre syndrome?:

Guillain-Barre syndrome is an autoimmune disorder in which peripheral nerves are damaged and cannot transmit signals efficiently. The disease typically progresses from the legs up the body to the trunk and may even affect the respiratory system, causing almost complete paralysis.

In Guillain-Barre syndrome, the myelin sheath protecting the nerves are damaged, so signals traveling along the nerves are not transmitted properly. Because nerves cannot transmit signals to muscles, muscles will not function properly, thus causing paralysis.

What causes Guillain-Barre syndrome?:

No one knows exactly what causes Guillain-Barre syndrome or why some people get it and other do not. Most people who get Guillain-Barre syndrome do so after having a bacterial or viral infection. In some cases, it has been connected to certain immunizations, such as the flu vaccine, and can even occur spontaneously.

answered by Caley | 10-17-2009 at 03:22 AM

The link between flu vaccination and Guillain-Barré has been a subject of controversy since 1976, when the U.S. National Influenza Immunization Program against so-called Swine Flu was halted early, partly because of reports of Guillain-Barré among recipients of the vaccine.

Since then, some studies have suggested an adjusted relative risk increase of about 70%, while other studies have seen no association.

I think you should wait before you get the flu shot.

answered by Tommy | 10-17-2009 at 03:23 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.