Can Girls Be Color Blind?

I suspect that my daughter, who is turning three in a few weeks, may be color blind.
I say this because she has difficulty naming red and green, but no problem when I ask her about the other colors. Is there a way to test her for color blindness?
And is it possible for a girl to be color blind?
What is the medical reason some people have this problem? Is there any treatment?
Thanks a lot!

asked by Guest in Eye Care | 63701 views | 07-19-2009 at 11:41 PM

Not as common in females than males, but not impossible.

Color blindness is an X-linked trait. That means it is carried in the X chromosome, which differentiates whether a baby will be a girl or a boy. Women have two X chromosomes (XX), and men have an XY combination. If a woman is a carrier for color blindness, only one of her chromosomes will be affected, and for that reason she will not be colorblind. Men, on the other hand, only have one X chromosome, so any time they carry the colorblindness gene, they will be colorblind. Since women have two X chromosomes, both must be affected in order for her to be colorblind.
That is why it's easier for guys to be color blind.

Color blindness is the inability to differentiate between different colors. The most common type is red-green color blindness. This occurs in 8 percent of males and 0.4 percent of females. It occurs when either the red or green cones are not present or not functioning properly. People with this problem are not completely unable to see red or green, but often confuse the two colors.

answered by Jack | 07-19-2009 at 11:46 PM

Of course they can.
But it is way easier for men to be color blind than for women.

Colorblindness is almost always a hereditary condition. Red-green colorblindness is a recessive condition passed on the X chromosome. Only one healthy color vision gene is necessary to provide color vision. Since boys have only one X chromosome, it is much easier for them to be colorblind.

answered by Paul | 07-19-2009 at 11:48 PM

High School Biology
Okay. I'm going way back. back into time. Let's go back to 2007-2008 school year when I was in high school biology.

In the Genetics unit of Biology you learn about recessive and dominant traits. A recessive trait you need two of in order to show that characteristic. For example, blue eyes is a recessive trait. If a person has brown eyes and both of their parents have blue eyes, well.... Tough luck kid, you may be adopted or you may want to check what color the mail man's eyes are because one or both of your parents are lying. The reason for that is that brown eyes are dominant. If you have one dominant and one recessive trait, the dominant will over power the recessive.

Then there are homozygous and heterozygous carriers. The parents we talked about before, they are both homozygous carriers because the recessive trait shows. I will use a punnett square. I will put the male genetic on top and the female on the left side. The recessive trait I told you about will be represented with a small "b" and the dominant with a "B".

b b
b bb b b
b bb bb

All of the natural born children of this couple would have blue eyes.

The child I mentioned before has a genetic make up of Bb or BB. This is how my mother found out the man she grew up calling her dad was really her step-dad. He and her mother had blue eyes, but my mom has brown.

You're probably sitting there thinking to yourself, "What does that have to do with colorblindness?" So, I'll tell you.

Colorblindness is unique. In Males it is a Dominant trait, but in females it is a recessive trait. If your daughter is colorblind, that means her father was or is colorblind as well. If you are not colorblind, it also means you are a heterozygous carrier of the colorblindness genetic. I will give you examples of what your punnett suares with the father of your daughter looks like in terms of colorblindness. I will use "C" for dominant and "c" for recessive.

Female Punnett Square

C c
c Cc cc

Only 25% chance of having a female colorblind offspring. 50% chance of having a female carrier. 25% chance of having a non-carrier.

In the father, the dominant becomes the recessive and the recessive the dominant because he is male and in males Colorblindness is dominant.

Male Punnett Square - If you were to have any male offspring with this man

C c
c Cc cc

75% chance of having a colorblind male offspring.
50% of all will be heterozygous colorblind individuals who will have a 50/50 chance of having a colorblind or not colorblind male.
25% will be able to see color and should not have any colorblind daughters (chance still exists for the males because of what the mother would be).

I hope this helped and wasn't too confusing.

P.S. It is also believed that people with grey eyes are more prone to being colorblind. Just out of curiosity, does your daughter have grey eyes?

answered by Misty | 08-05-2009 at 03:40 PM

Yes Misty! She does.

answered by Sofia | 08-05-2009 at 03:49 PM

girls are rarely color blind

answered by anounoms | 09-27-2009 at 01:19 AM

yes absolutely, girls can be color blind.

answered by Guest | 02-15-2010 at 08:25 PM

why did a doctor a few years ago tell me when doing an eye test that I had problems with reading numbers that were formed with blue dots on a background of green dots? Or doesn't that have anything to do with color blindness?

answered by Guest | 05-22-2010 at 05:35 AM

Yes, girls can be color blind
I'm blue/yellow color blind.

answered by Guest | 11-03-2010 at 02:51 AM

Sometimes clinics have tests you can take home, normally they're pictures of letters or numbers inside of a circle. Different colors, like a red A on a light green square. And the like. If she cannot see the letter inside the panel or see the panel's color then that may very well answer your question and you might want to check on that just in case it was a mistake.

It's verily rare for a girl to be color blind, normally the mother has to be a carrier and the father has to have the trait or have it in his genetics for it to happen with a girl. It's a defect with the X chromosome, most the time a female's genetics will take the best from their X's, but like most thing sin life, that's never a sure thing. Guys have it bad, if their mom's a carrier then they're absurdly likely to be landed with the trait. Only 1 X to take from... and it's got a hiccup in it.

It's not so bad though, there are different levels of color blind, some can't see some tones in the light spectrum-most the time- and others they see in absolute black and white.

That's the problem area. My history teacher had that, he was awesome though. Just make sure that if she IS color blind, you TELL her TEACHERS in confidence. That way they won't be total jerks about the matter of her not being able to differentiate red from orange or something. 0w0
work a little harder on it, most people adapt with or without being able to see it fully. It's how my teacher gets along. He can differ one shade from another so he knows which shade is which... and if not then his wife or his class tell him and we all get a fun chat about it.

answered by Falling In | 03-22-2011 at 11:30 AM

My daughter is going to be three and she can't tell any of the colors but yellow. I work with her all the time on them and she never gets them right... I feel like she is guessing at them all the time. Is this a form of color blindness?

answered by Guest | 07-28-2011 at 04:16 PM

It's too early to make any conclusions but If you want to know it for sure, you have to visit an eye specialist. He should be able to tell you more about your color vision deficiency after some tests. The most common test is some form of Ishihara plates whereas the most accurate tool is the anomaloscope, which can give you the most precise results. That's all I can recommend.

answered by rockyrock | 11-04-2011 at 07:14 AM

Thread Tools
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.