Paczki Day 2010: Calories, Recipes?

North Americans are familiar with Paczki Day or Fat Tuesday the day before Ash Wednesday the beginning of Lent.
Paczki Day is a Polish tradition where people used up all the lard, sugar and eggs in preparation for Lent. Ash Wednesday is the day after Paczki Day.
Today is Paczki Day 2010 and I was interested in some Paczki recipes low in calories. It's going to be the first time I do this. What are the average calories in a regular Paczki recipe?

asked by Miss in Holidays | 3180 views | 02-16-2010 at 07:29 PM

It is Paczki Day today, Feb. 16, 2010 - also known as Fastnacht Day and Fat Tuesday.

Paczki are not for the calorie conscious.

The treats resemble oversized donuts filled with creams and jellies and topped with powdered sugar. A typical Paczek packs about 600 calories.
It's the additional ingredients are what make these sweet treats irresistible but also more caloric.
They are quite extraordinary, if you eat them freshly made.

Lent is the 40-day period of fasting and prayer before the Christian Easter holiday and represents the time Jesus spent in the desert.

For those who observe this religious tradition, the consumption of numerous types of food is forbidden on specific abstinence days that occur throughout Lent, which is the main reason people gorge themselves on goodies that will soon need to be avoided.

There are tons of recipes, here's one I like.

Paczki Recipe: Bavarian Cream Paczki

1 package French vanilla instant pudding

1 cup skim milk

1 cup half & half

2 cups powdered sugar

1/4 cup un-sweetened cocoa powder

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/4 cup milk

For filling: Make pudding according to package directions using 1 cup of Skim milk and 1 cup of Half & Half. Place pudding into a pastry tube or a condiment squeeze bottle with a pointed spout.

answered by Teapot | 02-16-2010 at 10:41 PM

vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.