Burquini?

What is burquini? Are you supposed to wear it? Is it a bikini?

asked by Mantel in Fashion & Accessories | 2678 views | 08-12-2009 at 08:09 PM

The Burquini is a hybrid designed by Australian designer Ahead Zanetti. A cross between a burqa (the traditional dress worn my Muslim women, covering everything except their face, feet, and hands) and the much smaller bikini, it's essentially pants with a long-sleeved A-line tunic (thigh or knee-length) complete with a head covering. While it's pleasing to the eye, I'd be concerned that the polyester suit would weigh me down in the water. I can just imagine that tunic wrapping around my legs, especially the knee-length variety. It's UV-resistant, but I'm wondering what kind of tan the wearer might get. I think the Arab designs across the front are pretty, but I'd prefer to see them on the Overpass Tankini Miracle Suit if it's something I'd consider wearing.

answered by Sydney | 08-12-2009 at 08:10 PM

The "burquini" covers the arms to the wrists and the legs to the ankle and has a hood to cover neck and hair.

The Burquini was designed so Muslim women could participate in sports, something they often can't do because of their limited dress code. Some of these women who'd wanted to go swimming have apparently been trying to swim in full sets of clothes.

answered by Alexa | 08-12-2009 at 08:12 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.