Are Hives Contagious?

I mean from a person to another person. I ask because lately I'm forced to spend time at work with someone with hives and this is the first time I heard about them.
Someone told me it is just a skin disorder and not contagious but I don't know for sure.
Should I be worried? Are hives contagious?

asked by Matthew in Diseases & Conditions | 3687 views | 07-21-2009 at 09:37 PM

No, hives are not contagious. Hives are allergic reactions and not infections, triggered by usually foods, medicine, pollen, etc. Some times direct physical stimulation also causes hives like heat cold or sunlight.
Hives are a sign that the whole body is experiencing a hypersensitivity reaction. Hives occur when the body's capillaries and tiny veins get leaky. Fluid escaping from some of these blood vessels becomes trapped in parts of the skin and lining membranes of the body, causing localized swelling.
About 20 percent of people will experience hives at some point in their lives. Those who have known allergies or a family history of allergies are more likely to get hives. All other things being equal, girls are more likely to get them than boys.

So you shouldn't be worried about them, you're safe.

answered by Joshua | 07-21-2009 at 09:45 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.