Twelve Year Old Son: Mean Creek?

Hi, my son is 12 right now, (will be turning 13 in February) and has been bugging me to let him watch this movie "Mean Creek" I looked it up on commonsensemedia.org, and was shocked to see a R rating. Movies with young teens should not be rated R in my opinion, and that was why he was bugging me to watch it. He has seen movies like Scott Pilgrim, and the sexual references and Drug usage looked similar to "Mean Creek" I mean, he's just started watching movies around PG-13 and 14A and that. He really enjoys those dramatic, "coming of age" types of movies. So if anyone has seen "Mean Creek" and could tell me what to watch out for and if it's appropriate for a 13 year old, that would be awesome. Also, If anyone has any suggestions for dramatic, "coming of age" PG-13 films would be awesome too

Thanks in advance!

asked by Guest in Movies | 1546 views | 11-22-2010 at 12:28 AM

Well, I guess it's up to each parent's decision.
I watched Mean Creek and I'm not sure it's appropriate for a 12 year old.
This movie includes strong language and very explicit sexual references. I mean, characters use a gun, cut their skin with a knife, and a character is beaten and another is killed.

But not all parents are the same, maybe you watch it and consider it acceptable for your son to watch it.
Hope it helps.

answered by Timothy | 11-22-2010 at 03:21 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.