Yuma & Phoenix Arizona Earthquake?

The Yuma area was rattled on Easter Sunday by a very strong earthquake that was felt all across southern California and Arizona. It was also felt in Phoenix.

Scientists are concerned about a more severe aftershock in the coming hours. A severe southern California quake has been predicted for years.
Is this possible?

What caused the earthquake and was it a real earthquake in Yuma and Phoenix or just a tremor?
I'm very interested in this.

asked by Kylie in Geography | 2194 views | 04-05-2010 at 04:08 AM

A string of earthquakes rattled the Pacific Coast of the United States and Mexico on Sunday, including a magnitude 7.2 quake that could be felt across Baja California, Arizona and southern California, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

While there have been no reports of injuries or significant damage in any of Yuma's communities, the earthquake did cause some power outages in the Yuma area.

Caltech officials report that over 20 million people felt shaking related to the 7.2 magnitude earthquake.

There were also several smaller aftershocks felt following the earthquake, which was felt in San Diego, Los Angeles and as far east as Phoenix and southern Nevada.

One account of what was felt in Phoenix, Arizona after the earthquake today was posted on a blog by KM Wilsher. She said;

"Aproximatly 3:50 p.m. an earthquake hit Baja California/Mexico
Felt it here in Phoenix, Arizona. My clothes were swinging in my closet, hangers clinking together.
The ground swung back and forth. Wow!"

Arizona State University student Kari McBride, 20, who works at St. Joseph's Medical Center in Phoenix, said the earthquake shook the entire pediatric intensive care unit.

"You could feel the entire building shaking," she said. "There were IV bags jittering on the poles, and the floor was moving, which gave the illusion that the beds were moving."

U.S. Geological Survey seismologist Lucy Jones said it was the largest earthquake in the region in nearly 18 years and was followed by aftershocks on both sides of the border.

answered by Sydney | 04-05-2010 at 04:12 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.