Should Babies Drink Water?

When I asked my doctor if I could give my baby water he responded that it wasn't a good idea. He said I should give them breast milk or formula instead of water.
Why can't my son drink water, he is four months old. I think I'm changing my doctor because I'm not happy with him. I don't want my child to get dehydrated, and sometimes he looks thirsty.
Is it ok for my baby to drink water?

asked by The mom in Parenting & Children | 4253 views | 07-20-2009 at 02:42 PM

Don't worry about it!
The rule is from 0-6 months NO WATER -unless medically advised to treat a temporary problem such as constipation or dehydration.
Breast feeding babies do not need extra water, your breast milk contains enough water for your baby, even in hot, dry climates.
Until a baby is eating solid food, drinking water is usually not necessary.

answered by Jora | 07-20-2009 at 02:44 PM

Regardless of whether your baby is breast or bottle fed, his milk contains all the nutrients and fluids that he needs so further drinks are not usually necessary.
Giving a baby younger than 6 months old too much water can interfere with his body's ability to absorb the nutrients in breast milk or formula.

Most doctors agree that giving babies water before six months of age is unnecessary.
If babies under one year are given excessive water, it can lead to seizures. One they are past the one year mark and generally allowed to begin drinking other things. The milk a baby drinks provides all the liquid the baby needs. After solid food has been introduced, the water will help the baby with digestion.

answered by Mel | 07-20-2009 at 02:48 PM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.