Mike Bellotti Stepping Down From Oregon for ESPN?

Athletic director Mike Bellotti, fresh off firing men's basketball coach Ernie Kent and, also, sorting out the disciplinary mess inside the football program, quit to become a college football analyst on ESPN.

Bellotti, who assumed the position of athletic director in July, will provide studio and game analysis among several ESPN platforms, making his debut April 17 on ESPNU's telecast of Auburn's spring football game.

Perhaps Mike Bellotti discovered the nasty secret of college sports -- there’s no more thankless job than athletic director. After 36 years in coaching, he spent almost nine months as the Oregon AD before he hightailed it to have lunch in the Bristol cafeteria.

Mike Bellotti's tenure as Oregon athletic director lasted less than one year. Why is Mike Bellotti leaving the school to take a job as an announcer with ESPN?

asked by Dawson in Other - Sports | 1825 views | 03-20-2010 at 12:47 AM

Bellotti is stepping down to join ESPN as a college football analyst. Put the emphasis on the first two words of that job title.

Bellotti's been sitting on the headache side of a news conference for a month now. When he took the job, he probably thought he was becoming the glorified CEO of a division with a $66 million budget. Instead, he ended up having to haggle with his university president over pennies, and shoo media seeking questions about football discipline away from his home, and then, fire an old acquaintance.

"He wanted to get back in football. That's the impression I got," head coach Chip Kelly said Friday. "He's really, genuinely excited about the opportunity. I'm happy for him. I'm sad. I had one of the best situations. When your AD actually understands what it's like to be football coach, it's great."

Bellotti, who compiled 116-55 record in 14 seasons before giving way to Chip Kelly last spring, will debut with the network next month.

Bellotti said: “One of the most difficult decisions in my life was to walk away from being the head football coach at Oregon. Coaching here for 20 years was a wonderful experience that enriched my life. … The second most difficult decision has come today, to leave the university.”

A UC Davis graduate in 1973, Bellotti joined Oregon in 1989 as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach under Rich Brooks.

I had my ups and downs with Mike Bellotti when he coached Oregon football. I’m never going to hate completely on a guy who elevated the football program when he took over in 1995.

answered by Super | 03-20-2010 at 12:50 AM

comment
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.